Another Example of Management Idiocy

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Now we are banned from picking up anything during our delivery cycles. That means that the OL sitting on the front desk you can snag and save yourself a stop in the PM is verboten. Their rationale is that this will increase productivity on the PM. Sure it will...on paper. In reality, it costs more to needlessly return there. Plus, it pisses-off customers who now have to call it in.

More smoke and mirrors from the retarded clown circus.

Purplepackage

I'm not sure how well that will go for on calls that close before you are done delivering, regardless of what fedex says if that pup is sitting there ready when I deliver something I'm taking it and throwing it in the truck

It will be fine

Wouldn't that just lower the productivity of the delivery side? Doesn't make sense for call ins. I can understand if it's a daily and they don't want the customers to feel pressured to have their shipments ready earlier.
Don't worry, I'm sure customers are used to the FedEx guy telling them they can't pick up whatever box they have. Between Ground, HD and Express all having different rules they are quickly having no expectation that you can pick up.

Maui

Now we are banned from picking up anything during our delivery cycles. That means that the OL sitting on the front desk you can snag and save yourself a stop in the PM is verboten. Their rationale is that this will increase productivity on the PM. Sure it will...on paper. In reality, it costs more to needlessly return there. Plus, it pisses-off customers who now have to call it in.

More smoke and mirrors from the retarded clown circus.

Wow. That is a really bad idea on so many levels. I wonder what the real story is here. There must be some reason or complaint that local MGMT had to create a plan for and they created this nonsense. My Express driver can still pickup a pack that he walks right by when making deliveries.

I'm running through my head the possible real reasons.

I just can't think of a good reason to make a blanket rule like this. I actually encouraged drivers to do del-pups. Why would anyone want to go back again if not required?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Wow. That is a really bad idea on so many levels. I wonder what the real story is here. There must be some reason or complaint that local MGMT had to create a plan for and they created this nonsense. My Express driver can still pickup a pack that he walks right by when making deliveries.

I just can't think of a good reason to make a blanket rule like this. I actually encouraged drivers to do del-pups. Why would anyone want to go back again if not required?

I'm guessing it's all about $$$$. Probably too many people grabbing the packages and adding them to regular pups or dropping them at the front counter when they get off the road. So, FedEx is losing out on that on-call pick up charge.

El Morado Diablo

The only reason I could possibly think of for this is too many regular customers complaining about early pick-ups. Management never seems to try to discuss problems on an individual basis so they come up with blanket rules for everyone. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Maui

Some of the issues I've had:

Not requesting a walkup and missing the pup cost.
At stops with later West Coast pups--couriers only picking up letters and leaving larger pkgs.
Never informing anyone to move the pup and the PM courier has nothing there.
Complaints of early pups.
A courier sweeping a stop and leaving freight that ends up left in the field.

There could be others, but I think any of these should be an individual conversation.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I think it's just a means of raising "productivity" on the PM side. That way, the customer has to call-in and then it gets dispatched as an on-call through the system. In other words, they get credit for the package where before it just got picked-up without the on-call.

As I said, this company is all about looking good on paper. Never mind that management decisions that are absurd from an operational perspective actually cost the company money. This is happening constantly, and their usual "solution" is to cut hours or benefits instead of actually concerning themselves with improving operations.

The amazingly stupid :censored2: just continues, and as long as the numbers they send to Memphis look good, it's all OK. Most of us with a clue know better, and you sound like an ex-manager who actually knew how to handle an operation...unlike about 90% of what we have now.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I'll be pupping whatever pkgs. a customer wants all day long. I also mix in a bunch of P2 during my P1 cycle just to save me time. I don't care anymore.

whenIgetthere

I'm guessing it's all about $$$$. Probably too many people grabbing the packages and adding them to regular pups or dropping them at the front counter when they get off the road. So, FedEx is losing out on that on-call pick up charge.

My route doesn't do pick-ups, but when I see a package going out or am asked to take one with me, I get the walk up or PUP if already called. I usually change it to a reg PUP. Ridiculous to charge a customer an on call fee if you're already there with a delivery.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
And this will lower productivity on the delivery side when a customer takes up an additional 5 minutes of a courier's time inquiring about the stupid policies this company comes up with.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wouldn't it just be easier to take the package and add it to another pickup stop? This is what I do when I see a prepaid package at a delivery stop which does not have a daily pickup.

Nolimitz

I have a REG Wal-greens that is RDY at 0900 and a Methadone clinic that has a 1200 CLS
Both get done during my P1. Both are outside my reg pup area and I ain't going back for either. friend-em

Purplepackage

I have 20 regular pups and on some days on calls can take me all the way to 35-40 pick ups. If I didn't pick up while delivering I would never make it back to the station by 6:45

On Mondays a driver comes in just to do my pups and he starts at 1 because of how heavy that area is some days

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Wouldn't it just be easier to take the package and add it to another pickup stop? This is what I do when I see a prepaid package at a delivery stop which does not have a daily pickup.

Technically, we are supposed to ask for a walk-up pick up so that FedEx can charge the pickup charge. Most of us just add it to another stop, because it's easier to pull teeth than deal with our dispatchers anymore.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Technically, we are supposed to ask for a walk-up pick up so that FedEx can charge the pickup charge. Most of us just add it to another stop, because it's easier to pull teeth than deal with our dispatchers anymore.

I had a residential delivery for one of my regular customers. As I hand him the package he says that he has a couple of prepaids he would like to send out and would it be OK if I took them? No problem.

oldngray

nowhere special
I had a residential delivery for one of my regular customers. As I hand him the package he says that he has a couple of prepaids he would like to send out and would it be OK if I took them? No problem.
You are always supposed to take prepaids in a customer hands them to you. You don't get credit for pickup stop but scan and enter total in PPD special counts.