Another high profile Ground Accident.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I swear Ground is gonna be the torpedo that sinks the FedEx empire sooner or later.

It's like in those old WWII movies where they shoot the torpedo, it misses the target, then circles back to destroy the sub that shot it. FedEx Express management is the driving force behind Ground, and the other opcos as well. Express-style tactics and operating practices stem straight from Memphis.

I agree that Ground will eventually be an albatross around the "neck" of FedEx. The degree of corporate control will implicate them in incidents like the Miami accident and the really bad accident in MS a few months back. Throwing the contractor under the bus is always the first step, but when your non-employees eventually get considered as the real deal because they are managed like real employees, FedEx will have some big problems.

bbsam

Staff member
In something like this, the contractor can't be thrown under the bus. The DOT number is registered to Fedex Ground. That is where the responsibility begins and ends.

bbsam

Staff member
In this case the responsibility begins and ends with the driver failing to stop for the red light.
Agreed. I was responding to MFE's assertion that Fedex somehow insulates itself from liability through the use of contractors. That is not the case.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
In something like this, the contractor can't be thrown under the bus. The DOT number is registered to Fedex Ground. That is where the responsibility begins and ends.

So Ground (read FedEx Corp) is liable, and not the contractor? I thought these were "independent businesses"? More proof that what you really have here are employees.

bbsam

Staff member
So Ground (read FedEx Corp) is liable, and not the contractor? I thought these were "independent businesses"? More proof that what you really have here are employees.
Are you sure? Independent contractors that lease onto OTR carriers, do each of those contractors have their own DOT number or is it an "umbrella" system?