Another Historic Snowstorm Blizzard- Mid-Atlantic- possibly New England

UnconTROLLed

perfection
discuss. ;> I'll add some more later as time allows. This looks to be a major storm for much of the northeast and, perhaps a full-on blizzard for Southern NE, Wed PM-Fri AM.

J

jibbs

Yeah, yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up until I see a snowflake. All of these "historic" snowstorms and I haven't seen more than an inch this winter. :sad-little:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What do u think for the chema area?
Latest I've heard is south coast gets hit good
For Boston? My forecast is that the tv/media outlets will get the forecast wrong three times between now and wednesday. ;) Which is why i don't take shot in the dark stabs without confidence.

I can tell you that even phd level meteorologists are having a very difficult time with this, so it'll interesting to see unfold. The generally most reliable and stable global model, ECMWF - which was steady for no impacts in SNE for the past 4 to 5 days- has been changing it's tune the past two days, especially it's individual ensembles, which are the model running itself in many modes with slightly different intialized data.

The usually erratic and inferior U.S. GFS (global forecast system) model, provided through the NCEP EMC, has shown an all-out blizzard for several runs in a row. This was the sole outlier. It was largely ignored until yesterday early today, when other models have been more aligned with a further northeast track.

It's possible that models converge onto the blizzard idea - and that's what we see in the media tomorrow/Tuesday, then the models cave back in southeast and do not double down but back down. That's the flip-flop possibility to watch for.

Also, could be mostly rain. There are many "outs" or things that can go wrong, especially in March, so many extra options on the table.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I'm annoyed with the whole 2 models of weather now with the "euro" model constantly indicating we're getting clobbered in New England but the other model showing us as fine. You end up with a different forecast from every source you check as a result.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm annoyed with the whole 2 models of weather now with the "euro" model constantly indicating we're getting clobbered in New England but the other model showing us as fine. You end up with a different forecast from every source you check as a result.
There are generally four major global models and a variety of ensembles. It has been this way for decades, actually. The fact that tv or media mention the models doesn't help. I don't have a tv so not sure what they're saying except heresay.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I do watch the news for updates, but it's the media, & hyped for ratings. Euro is coming north & gfs has middlesex county all the way up to concord nh with a foot plus.
Watching a couple accuweather forecasts today still saying northern most effects for Long Island, NJ. Maybe extreme SE MA.
I still have family in Dracut, tyngsboro , westford areas. Just wondering what they may expect

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
BSWALKS I live about 5 miles from Dracut and they aren't sure on the totals because of the temps,,but as of this am we are looking at 5 to 8 inches,which is nothing to us LOL

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
BSWALKS I live about 5 miles from Dracut and they aren't sure on the totals because of the temps,,but as of this am we are looking at 5 to 8 inches,which is nothing to us LOL
5-8 too much! Im ready for spring. I think if it were too snow now, it would melt off. Sun trying to come out here.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Foxboro area is heading for 15-20" with power outages.

The wind, waves and beach erosion/flooding were the main concern all along..snow was a wild-card, as I tried to point out.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
snow2.jpg
Here's a pic from the 'hood a few minutes ago. 1000' asl. there was 14" of snow already on the ground before this storm. Untreated roads are death traps right now.
snow2.jpg

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Some people would love that, but not me. We've got less than 1 slushy inch on the side roads & less on the main roads right now. I believe we are still expecting 4-8 overnight.

moreluck

golden ticket member
re: post # 18

I'd forgotten the space between houses elsewhere.........there's 8 ft. between us and the neighbors. Thank goodness we get along and are always passing plates over the wall........neighbors are the best Guinea Pigs.