Another Historic Snowstorm Blizzard- Mid-Atlantic- possibly New England

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Sleeve_meet_Heart, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

discuss. ;> I'll add some more later as time allows. This looks to be a major storm for much of the northeast and, perhaps a full-on blizzard for Southern NE, Wed PM-Fri AM.
  2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

It looks like the high pressure system coming in to our area Tuesday will help to keep the storm to the south of us.
  3. jibbs

jibbs Long Live the Chief

Yeah, yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up until I see a snowflake. All of these "historic" snowstorms and I haven't seen more than an inch this winter. :sad-little:
  4. Funfact

Funfact Well-Known Member

It's only snow. It's not like we are not use to it.
  5. Sleeve_meet_Heart

This thread doesn't have much to do with Upstate NY, although you will probably try your best to make it about you. ;P
  6. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

We've dodged every bullet so far this winter, we'll see if our luck finally runs out.
  7. Big Babooba

Big Babooba Well-Known Member

We weren't as lucky!:knockedout:

BSWALKS Easily Amused

What do u think for the chema area?
    Latest I've heard is south coast gets hit good
  9. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

Wish you guys luck up there! I can't imagine working in the conditions some of you describe.
  10. Sleeve_meet_Heart

For Boston? My forecast is that the tv/media outlets will get the forecast wrong three times between now and wednesday. ;) Which is why i don't take shot in the dark stabs without confidence.

I can tell you that even phd level meteorologists are having a very difficult time with this, so it'll interesting to see unfold. The generally most reliable and stable global model, ECMWF - which was steady for no impacts in SNE for the past 4 to 5 days- has been changing it's tune the past two days, especially it's individual ensembles, which are the model running itself in many modes with slightly different intialized data.

The usually erratic and inferior U.S. GFS (global forecast system) model, provided through the NCEP EMC, has shown an all-out blizzard for several runs in a row. This was the sole outlier. It was largely ignored until yesterday early today, when other models have been more aligned with a further northeast track.

It's possible that models converge onto the blizzard idea - and that's what we see in the media tomorrow/Tuesday, then the models cave back in southeast and do not double down but back down. That's the flip-flop possibility to watch for.

Also, could be mostly rain. There are many "outs" or things that can go wrong, especially in March, so many extra options on the table.
  11. TooTechie

TooTechie Geek in Brown

I'm annoyed with the whole 2 models of weather now with the "euro" model constantly indicating we're getting clobbered in New England but the other model showing us as fine. You end up with a different forecast from every source you check as a result.
  12. Sleeve_meet_Heart

There are generally four major global models and a variety of ensembles. It has been this way for decades, actually. The fact that tv or media mention the models doesn't help. I don't have a tv so not sure what they're saying except heresay.

BSWALKS Easily Amused

I do watch the news for updates, but it's the media, & hyped for ratings. Euro is coming north & gfs has middlesex county all the way up to concord nh with a foot plus.
    Watching a couple accuweather forecasts today still saying northern most effects for Long Island, NJ. Maybe extreme SE MA.
    I still have family in Dracut, tyngsboro , westford areas. Just wondering what they may expect
  14. Covemastah

Covemastah Suspension Ovah !!! Tom is free FU Goodell !!

BSWALKS I live about 5 miles from Dracut and they aren't sure on the totals because of the temps,,but as of this am we are looking at 5 to 8 inches,which is nothing to us LOL

BSWALKS Easily Amused

5-8 too much! Im ready for spring. I think if it were too snow now, it would melt off. Sun trying to come out here.
  16. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I have my broom sitting by my front door to sweep away the dusting that we are expecting from this "storm".
  17. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Foxboro area is heading for 15-20" with power outages.

The wind, waves and beach erosion/flooding were the main concern all along..snow was a wild-card, as I tried to point out.
  18. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Here's a pic from the 'hood a few minutes ago. 1000' asl. there was 14" of snow already on the ground before this storm. Untreated roads are death traps right now.

BSWALKS Easily Amused

Some people would love that, but not me. We've got less than 1 slushy inch on the side roads & less on the main roads right now. I believe we are still expecting 4-8 overnight.
  20. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

re: post # 18

I'd forgotten the space between houses elsewhere.........there's 8 ft. between us and the neighbors. Thank goodness we get along and are always passing plates over the wall........neighbors are the best Guinea Pigs.