Another "I'm quitting UPS, what do i do with my union card" thread

CardboardKillah

Hello everyone, I've searched and read many threads on my issue but still haven't been swayed on a definite path.

I have worked for UPS as a PT package handler for about 8 years (local 170) and I recently put my two weeks in because I have landed a full time job elsewhere. There was no full time opportunity available at UPS and I would have to work many more years and possibly work nights if I ever did want full time (oh and ill never go driving, completely out of the question.) I enjoyed working at UPS, never got injured, and always worked hard.

My main question is, what do I do with the union? I've been told for $1.00 I can withdraw my card and if I ever need to come back, ill start at my ending rate and still have my seniority. I have also been told I can take all my union startup fees back ($500 i believe) Taking back the $500 is very enticing but I also like having a backup plan/job security.

My second question is that, my vacation and sick days reset in May, which is more than a month and a half away. If I leave before then, I do not get to collect on any of it even though I worked close to 11 months out of the year cycle, correct or no?

tl:dr: Found a full time job, do i take back the$500 or withdraw my union card/ and do i get to collect on my vacation sick days even though they reset in May.

And for your time, here is a cat being scared by a cucumber.
2Ed8TB.gif

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I have worked for UPS as a PT package handler for about 8 years (local 170) and I recently put my two weeks in because I have landed a full time job elsewhere. There was no full time opportunity available at UPS and I would have to work many more years and possibly work nights if I ever did want full time (oh and ill never go driving, completely out of the question.) I enjoyed working at UPS, never got injured, and always worked hard.

Opportunities.... in certain areas, are limited.

My main question is, what do I do with the union? I've been told for $1.00 I can withdraw my card and if I ever need to come back.

By paying the withdraw fee, you wouldn't be responsible for "back dues".

Or, a re-initiation fee.

My second question is that, my vacation and sick days reset in May, which is more than a month and a half away. If I leave before then, I do not get to collect on any of it even though I worked close to 11 months out of the year cycle, correct or no?

Earned time, should be paid out.

Check with your Local.

http://www.teamsters170.com/contact-us/

I have also been told I can take all my union startup fees back ($500 i believe)

8 years later ?

Good luck, with that.

-Bug-

Gear

Parts on Order
Alway get a withdraw card when leaving ANY union. It will stop your dues collection and be a receipt for paying the original initiation fee.

By "start up fees" do you mean initiation fees? Ive never heard of a union refunding those, atleast not around here. That sounds like bad info.

10 point

We get paid for our vacation here if you separate from service but you have to work one day in May to get paid for your personals
Here, our experience is that you have to apply for taking the two option days in May (resetted) 8 days ahead and actually take them before separation or you won't get them paid out. No retiree has gotten them if they retired after May 1 if they didn't actually "use" them here.

Here, our experience is that you have to apply for taking the two option days in May (resetted) 8 days ahead and actually take them before separation or you won't get them paid out. No retiree has gotten them if they retired after May 1 if they didn't actually "use" them here.
Every local is a little different I guess.