Another one bites the dust!!!

browniehound

When I started @ UPS I was a PT non-union clerk working for a paycheck as I went to school. When I finished school there were no good jobs in my degree field locally so I started driving "just to pay off some bills" accumulated while in school. Five years was my plan of departure from Brown then I was going to go into business for myself. For some reason unknown to me I allowed my (now EX) wife to get us so faar into debt that the previously mentioned bills were inconsequential. After the divorce it took two years of eating beans and bologna too pay them off. By he time that happened I was getting too damned old to start over. She got the gold mine, I got the shaft.
To summarize, some people stay because they really enjoy the whole show at UPS, some stay because they haven't too many options. Now, having said that. I really enjoy parts of my job. Getting out into the public, making contact with the people, providing a service that's usually appreciated by the customer. The part I really hate is the US vs. THEM mentality, the " gotta get blood from a turnip" syndrome from management, the total lack of respect I receive as a human being from the company. I even hate the lack of respect I have for most of the managers I have worked for, all but a couple of them have been "lie to your face", justify anything they do wrong, selfish individuals. The main reason I stay is because I'm too friggen old and beat up to be a bull rider and the benefits are good.

WOW, that sounds like my life:sad-very:. I'm here at UPS for life for better of worse so I'm going to make the best of it. I would be devastated If I lost my job at UPS so I would never complain at where I ended up in life.

I have to say that I DO get respect from my superiors and I haven't experienced the "Us vs. Them" first hand though I know it exists in my area.

rocket man

IF im getting this correct he has military retirement now he vested 5 years with company. his wife works or what ever her status may be. hes gonna be ok.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
IF im getting this correct he has military retirement now he vested 5 years with company. his wife works or what ever her status may be. hes gonna be ok.

No military retirement. Did one stint in marine corp, guessing 4-6 years. Jumped in at UPS for 5 years. And now??? I know 5 years isn't really that long. But is it that short? Once I've climbed the ladder that high, do I really want to climb back down? Sorry, just the way I see it from here.

WOW, that sounds like my life:sad-very:. I'm here at UPS for life for better of worse so I'm going to make the best of it. I would be devastated If I lost my job at UPS so I would never complain at where I ended up in life.

I have to say that I DO get respect from my superiors and I haven't experienced the "Us vs. Them" first hand though I know it exists in my area.
The US vs. Them, is rampant here and is propagated by both sides. Usually manifesting as "games" played to try and outdo the other side. The real problem, IMHO, is when someone does not want to play a game with their career. These are the people that end up getting dumped on because they are not willing or do not know how to play the "game" . Again IMHO, the dangerous part of the "game" is that the employee can win many times but the company (in some cases) only have to win once and someone is out of a career as a result. The prizes at the end of game are not of equal value.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

RM, I don't believe he is retired military. You have to serve 20 yrs to retire. I think he was prior military but will not receive a military pension. He will definitely need to do something else as I assume he is 35-40 yrs old, with a wife and 2 kids.

Raw

Raw Member
Good post Steve and you are right I think it does take a different kind of person for this job and if you are just doing it for the money then I think you will come to a harsh realization very quickly, but if this is a job you want and you have the right mentality I think you will succeed.
The money on the surface may look ok but for the time put in each day the money really is just average and getting worse!

ZEB

30 year guy
Everyone I know who quit UPS is happy!!!!!!!!!!!! Stand on your front porch and look around,nobody in your neighborhood works for UPS yes there is life after working for BIG BROTHER BROWN

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Everyone I know who quit UPS is happy!!!!!!!!!!!! Stand on your front porch and look around,nobody in your neighborhood works for UPS yes there is life after working for BIG BROTHER BROWN

Easy to say that after 30 years, I guess. I'm almost halfway there, so now what? I'm just giving a point of view, though. I love my job and it fits me like a glove.
Isn't holding on to a job you don't necessarily care for like mowing the lawn? You don't necessarily want to do it, but it has to get done. I know, someone else can be paid to do the job. The point is, after so many years, why not just stick it out? How many years till it's too late to turn back and do something else?