Another possible n00b

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
They are supposed to give you a belt. If they don't, bring an old piece of rope and run it through your belt loops like Jethro Bodine,. Then see how long it takes them to come up with one.

aggieODC

Hey Guys,

Just started up 3 weeks ago. I went in for seasonal work hoping to get hired on. First night they asked if anyone could type 35wpm. I shot my hand up and got hired as an ODC clerk on the spot. Started keying on Tuesday after 2 weeks of working the belts and learning the lay of the land.

Hoping to use this as a foot in the door to start a new career. I've been with the same company, a small family business, for 11 years. I'm ready for a change. I've chatted with a few drivers while unloading and they've suggested trying to pick up a spot as a Saturday Air driver. I may look into that after the holidays.

Glad to be here!

You've Got Mail

Well it probably already had your fingerprints on it...so I can see his point. You still a glorified helper or are they letting you drive the big boy truck for peak?

Not sure what you mean by big boy truck. Haven't driven a 7 cube yet, just a fiver. Did 88 stops on a blind route today in 5 hours. Gotta love google maps.

Not sure what you mean by big boy truck. Haven't driven a 7 cube yet, just a fiver. Did 88 stops on a blind route today in 5 hours. Gotta love google maps.
We have some routes like that. We have seasonal drivers coming out of our ears. I am sure they told them if they do a really good job they may be kept on permanent after peak.

You've Got Mail

We have some routes like that. We have seasonal drivers coming out of our ears. I am sure they told them if they do a really good job they may be kept on permanent after peak.

I dream of being kept on full-time after peak...I'll do literally any job except anything overnight. I'm too much of a morning person to handle graveyard shifts. I don't even need coffee to get me going.

I'm considering applying to be a part-time package handler. The website indicates that positions are available in the cities in which I currently live and work (about 40 minutes apart). If I have to, I'm content with having to wait for a couple of months for a position to come available.

I'm 25-years-old and work a full-time job with the state. While my benefits are decent, the pay is horrible. In addition to that, I have a lot of free time and the free workout would be good for me. I have no wife or kids so I'm not worried about long days. Right now I work four 10-hour days but could change my schedule to five 8-hour days and be off by 4:30pm (or possibly earlier) each day. Because of that, I think the twilight shift would be my best bet.

Every couple of months I have to go to training or meetings that require travel and sometimes overnight stays. Some of the longer training (2-4 days) are voluntary so I could probably avoid those. I know of any training/meetings weeks, if not months, in advance. So here's my question: I know it will probably vary by location but, from your experience, how easy is it to get a day or two off for reasons such as that? Will it be a definite no, or do the supervisors/managers work with you? I show up to work on time and don't call out sick as it is. Obviously I'd ask the same question during the interview but am interested to hear it from those currently working the job because, believe it or not, I've been told things by potential employers that turned out not to be true.

Thanks!

A lot PT guys fit your description. Do a good job and give your manager enough notice and I think you will be okay. UPS hires PT all year but right after peak and before Spring vacations things do slow down. Tell HR which sort you would prefer and that you will wait for an opening.

I wanted to say hello to everyone... I'm a new member and HOPEFULLY, a new Package Car Driver once I pass my written and verbal tests tomorrow! I was the very last FT Seasonal Driver for the Meadowlands building. I know the material well and I'm ready to work.

I'm excited to get out there and nervous as well. I know there will be a lot of "learning opportuinities" as I get my feet wet. It's a pretty bad time of the season to just be learning a route. It's crunch time and I am concerned that my supervisor will have a lot less patience and tolerance for me, as a brand new driver.

I want to go permanent after the season ends. I'm at an advantage and a disadvantage. I have three weeks to impress, and if I do, I'll stand out. Not sure how many drivers will be converted but Meadowlands is a huge facility with a lot of centers. I know a few people in UPS that are willing to put in a good word for me. I don't know who they'd convey that to, my manager, supervisor?

What a great community this is. I've been doing a lot of reading and browsing in the forums and there's some really useful stuff.

I'd like to post some good news on this thread tomorrow evening.

Fingers crossed!

David