Another retro check thread

laffter

Last Friday, the shift manager was speaking to a good number of preloaders regarding overpayments on their retro checks. He was asking them to sign a document allowing UPS to deduct the owed amount from their paycheck(s). The way he got almost everyone to sign is by telling them they can have the deduction span over 1 to 6 pay periods, and if they RTS'd it that day, UPS would eventually get their money and may deduct it all at once. I did not sign. This manager also told me that the union is "neutral" on the matter.

I understand this topic has been discussed to death, but I still have not read any explanation that makes sense to me. Either I'm stupid or just slow- or nobody really knows what's going on.

I was approached today by my full time sup. She told me that they got authorization from the "higher powers" to allow this deduction to span over 10 pay periods- for me. I told her that the money was not the problem. The problem is that I have not been given a clear explanation regarding the supposed issue with the overpayment.

The money I got from this retro check went directly into savings. I didn't spend much of it. I have no desire to steal money from UPS. If I am wrong and I was indeed overpaid, I will sign that document first thing tomorrow morning after I clock in.

Looking through my paycheck history, these were my wage increases throughout my employment so far:

I was hired on August 15th 2011. My starting pay was $9.50.
Approximately November 15th 2011, 90-day raise- $10.50.
August 15th 2012, 50c raise- $11.00.
August 15th, 2013, 50c raise- $11.50.
April 21st, 2014, 50c raise- $12.00. (this is when the contract was pushed through)

The retro hours are not in question. I went through and counted them before I even got my check, and they were close enough for me not to worry about it. The issue is that my retro hours were paid at approx. 70c. Now, they say it should have been 50c. See below:

YGgXzMF.png

(ignore the circled numbers- my manager circled them in a failed attempt to explain it to me)

Which of the following examples apply to me? #2 or #3?

Jly32lI.png

I really want to do the right thing here. I think I've provided about as much information as I could have for someone knowledgeable on the topic to explain it.

The questions are:

Is UPS right about the overpayment?

Is my current pay rate of $12.00 accurate, or should it be $12.20?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Last Friday, the shift manager was speaking to a good number of preloaders regarding overpayments on their retro checks. He was asking them to sign a document allowing UPS to deduct the owed amount from their paycheck(s). The way he got almost everyone to sign is by telling them they can have the deduction span over 1 to 6 pay periods, and if they RTS'd it that day, UPS would eventually get their money and may deduct it all at once. I did not sign. This manager also told me that the union is "neutral" on the matter.

I understand this topic has been discussed to death, but I still have not read any explanation that makes sense to me. Either I'm stupid or just slow- or nobody really knows what's going on.

I was approached today by my full time sup. She told me that they got authorization from the "higher powers" to allow this deduction to span over 10 pay periods- for me. I told her that the money was not the problem. The problem is that I have not been given a clear explanation regarding the supposed issue with the overpayment.

The money I got from this retro check went directly into savings. I didn't spend much of it. I have no desire to steal money from UPS. If I am wrong and I was indeed overpaid, I will sign that document first thing tomorrow morning after I clock in.

Looking through my paycheck history, these were my wage increases throughout my employment so far:

I was hired on August 15th 2011. My starting pay was $9.50.
Approximately November 15th 2011, 90-day raise- $10.50.
August 15th 2012, 50c raise- $11.00.
August 15th, 2013, 50c raise- $11.50.
April 21st, 2014, 50c raise- $12.00. (this is when the contract was pushed through)

The retro hours are not in question. I went through and counted them before I even got my check, and they were close enough for me not to worry about it. The issue is that my retro hours were paid at approx. 70c. Now, they say it should have been 50c. See below:

YGgXzMF.png

(ignore the circled numbers- my manager circled them in a failed attempt to explain it to me)

Which of the following examples apply to me? #2 or #3?

Jly32lI.png

I really want to do the right thing here. I think I've provided about as much information as I could have for someone knowledgeable on the topic to explain it.

The questions are:

Is UPS right about the overpayment?

Is my current pay rate of $12.00 accurate, or should it be $12.20?
12/hr...you were overpaid. THE 4 year PT wage progression is clearly spelled out on the left side of the contract page u posted. But ur next raise should be a dollar.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Can you explain why my wage increase should not have been 70c?
  • From Aug 1,2013 to Aug 15, 2013 you get the $.70 raise ($11.70/hr)
  • On Aug 15, 2013 you jumped up to the new 'seniority + 2 yr' rate of $12/hr. You were already paid $11.50, so they only owe you the difference (50c) on hours worked since Aug. 15
For future reference:
  • on Aug. 1, 2014 you will get the next $.70 raise (to $12.70/hr)
  • on Aug. 15, 2014 you will jump to the new 'seniority + 3 yr' rate of $13/hr
  • on Aug. 1, 2015 you get the $.70 raise to $13.70
  • on Aug. 15, 2015 you are already above the new 'seniority + 4 yr' rate of $13.50, so you get nothing additional; unless the COLA has been triggered, then you will get that (usually $.12)

Last edited:

laffter

Alright. This is about as much sense as I'll make out of it. Thank you all for the information. I'll sign in the morning.

Alright. This is about as much sense as I'll make out of it. Thank you all for the information. I'll sign in the morning.
Dude I'm going through the same thing at my center and this really puts things into perspective for me! I'm still pissed that this had to happen at all but I'm willing to work with UPS to make it right because let's all face it, eventually UPS will get their money back so it's best to negotiate on your terms avoiding pain at a later date.

laffter

Dude I'm going through the same thing at my center and this really puts things into perspective for me! I'm still pissed that this had to happen at all but I'm willing to work with UPS to make it right because let's all face it, eventually UPS will get their money back so it's best to negotiate on your terms avoiding pain at a later date.

I'm not entirely sure what they would have to do to "eventually get their money". Personally, I'd really be interested in sticking to not signing the damn thing and see what happens. But, that wouldn't be the appropriate thing to do if it was a legitimate mistake.

laffter

They would garnish your check with or without your permission.

Don't try to play hard ball--- you will go down swinging.

If they would do that, then why are they asking for permission? UPS doesn't ever play "nice". If they could do it so easily, they would do it without notice- because they don't care about their union employees. I'm pretty sure they'd have to jump through hoops to get it done without the employees authorization.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
If they would do that, then why are they asking for permission? UPS doesn't ever play "nice". If they could do it so easily, they would do it without notice- because they don't care about their union employees. I'm pretty sure they'd have to jump through hoops to get it done without the employees authorization.
Because UPS doesn't want poor morale to affect production.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I'm not entirely sure what they would have to do to "eventually get their money". Personally, I'd really be interested in sticking to not signing the damn thing and see what happens. But, that wouldn't be the appropriate thing to do if it was a legitimate mistake.
They would garnish your check with or without your permission.

Don't try to play hard ball--- you will go down swinging.

As much as it pains me, I agree with Dave.

If the money is their's, they will recover it.

brown metal coffin

Im inclined to agree. UPS wants every single dime due them. Now they trip over dollars to get to dimes every day but when an employee is overpaid all bets are off. They eventually get their money back one way or another. When they handed out the overpayment sheets the other week there was a driver in our center overpaid by $1.86 and that is not a typo. UPS came a calling for that pocket change.