Another story of a dog that doesnt bite

Sammie

Nothing to brag about here, but some of us obviously learn it the hard way. In reference to this thread,

Long story short - PLEASE keep your animals a safe distance away from guests/family that they are not familiar with!!!!!!!!

Last summer my daughter arrived for her yearly visit with her 3 young ones; aged 10, 6 and 2. Everybody knows how kids crawl around and play with dogs, so we thought nothing of it.

At the time we had an older outdoor Lab/Chow and 4 little inside Doxie dogs. First thing, the 10 year old raced out to the back yard to pet the older dog, whom he sees every year, but the animal got spooked, didn't recognize him, and nailed the child in the face.

We took the boy to the local E.R., who made note of the incident and for the next month we were ordered to quarantine the dog from any other pets/family members while we received almost daily visits/phone calls from the police, the animal control and the vet. The dog had an excellent record of immunization but these parties were still concerned about rabies.

By the end of the month we were all basket cases (my baby boy is fine, no scars, etc.) and we put the offending dog down but had we been better prepared, none of this would have happened.

A word to the wise. One can never be too careful!!!!!!!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I believe the assumption was the dog was spooked by the slashing of the water, thats my guess, but Sammie is correct and people dont get it. I would bet us drivers, the mailmen and all the other delivery drivers are the most cautious with our pets at home. My dog doesnt bite me, your dog doesnt bite you. I would bet my paycheck my dog would never bite a soul, But I know her and in a moments notice a click of my finger brings her to my side. Wether its a rabbit or a cat, or a squirrel she wants to chase, a click drops her in her tracks. Too many people have pets to show off, and have no control of their animal. If you dont have time to train it, you should not have it. But thats like talking to a wall.
A person who has an animal should not have it charging the door, and fighting it off when trying to open a door. Those are the ones who have to come out to their truck to receive their box. Its simple, if you cant walk it on a leash and be the boss, open your door and have authority, tell it when its OK to go pee on a tree, or see a person, you do not have control, and you should not own it.

30andout

I had a delivery out in the country yesterday I don't have very often. When I walked up the drive the lady told her son to hold onto a large Boxer pup, I said thats ok I like dogs he won't bother me. She said she received a pkg last fall when I was off for disability and that the cover driver burst into their front door one evening after dark and startled them. He said he was sorry but he {the dog} was gonna get him. Thats not the first story I have heard about this guy, but I think its one of the best.:lol::lol:

hoser

Industrial Slob
This little girl is the daughter of our OMS. And the idiot owner has not been charged. Sick!
http://www.vindy.com/content/local_regional/365212511171332.php
he hasn't been charged yet. sometimes to make a good case, you have to hold off charging that person a few days. (wonder if he's been charged yet?)

secondly, i know you're big on the dog's biting service providers thing, but i have little doubt you would start a thread for every time you did a delivery, a dog bolted at you and it ended up licking you to death.

90% of the time, when the owner says their labrador retriever or beagle won't bite, that dog won't bite.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
No hoser you are wrong. Yes I have a deep dislike for owners of viscious dogs who do not control them. Not dogs. My playmate is a doberman, my grand dogs are huskies and Labs, and my neighbors (dog) who greets me morning and night is a wolf. So its not like I dont love or am not surrounded by them. Its just my pet peeve and also my worst fear to be attacked again. If that in your mind makes me an over reacting out of control broad, then cool. But I bet I never ever get bit again.
Labs and beagles, even shepards, I dont worry much about, pit bulls, rots, ridgebacks, dalmations, now theres another whole story. And mixes are usually fine. Most dogs I run into are for protection, and Im an intruder, so I have reason to worry.
And the story wasnt about me, it was about a 6 yr old with life long scars from a dog that the owner said "it wont bite"
I talked to the mother of the girl, and no he hasnt been charged yet. No license, no shots, and no control, a little girl paid dearly.

Last edited: