Another "taken out of service thread"

Cute-UPS-Man

Brief history of me with UPS... I've worked for UPS on/off for a total of 6 years out of the last 9 years. Attendance good, work ethic good (since last March I've only had 4 misloads)! I have not had any issues about anything during my time at UPS up until about 6 months ago.

Brief history of part time sup involved.. This part time sup has been fired for workplace violence before when he was a preloader. The BA got him his job back, shortly thereafter he went into management. Ever since he's been in management he's been grieved against for harassment, hostility and aggression towards union employees most recently the beginning of this month 3 times!

This part time supervisor moved to our area of the building and since he's been there almost everyone out of the 9 employees that work that area have filed some sort of complaint.grievance against him.. and these people have never filed before. I would keep my mouth shut about how I felt about the way he mis treated my fellow co workers.

So during this last peak season (2015) one of the pcm's was if your sick with the flu to stay home to prevent affecting other employees. I've been sick twice since the first of the year missing a total of 3 days due to illness so I could get better. I have a fulltime job on top of the part time UPS job to support my wife and I while she's a fulltime student.

The issue at hand;

Almost 2 weeks ago the part time sup told me that I would not be doing a certain set of cars until my attendance gets better. I was like wtf?! I alternate sets with another guy every other day. My response to the part time sup was "ok, I don't want you touching any more packages" since he did this on a daily basis. He handled irregs later that morning for 20 minutes so I filed a grievance. The remedy I wanted was for him to be moved to another area so he could no longer harass/belittle anybody else in my area. The next day he was moved to a different location in the building. The following day after he was moved he came to my area and into one of the package cars that I was in and got in my face with his finger in my face saying he was going to *#%+ me up if he saw me outside of work and put his forehand against mine. No witnesses saw the contact and I immediately went to my shop steward and told him what had happened. Told my side of the story to the center manager and was taken out of service since there was physical contact made. I have been out of work for almost 8 days now.

I went for the local hearing and was left unresolved now it's going to the panel... I just want to know what you guys think the outcome might be based on your experience. I have never had to deal with something like this before so I'm kinda worried since I need the benefits for my wife and myself. I can't really afford to go to panel since it requires air travel.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Brief history of me with UPS... I've worked for UPS on/off for a total of 6 years out of the last 9 years. Attendance good, work ethic good (since last March I've only had 4 misloads)! I have not had any issues about anything during my time at UPS up until about 6 months ago.

Brief history of part time sup involved.. This part time sup has been fired for workplace violence before when he was a preloader. The BA got him his job back, shortly thereafter he went into management. Ever since he's been in management he's been grieved against for harassment, hostility and aggression towards union employees most recently the beginning of this month 3 times!

This part time supervisor moved to our area of the building and since he's been there almost everyone out of the 9 employees that work that area have filed some sort of complaint.grievance against him.. and these people have never filed before. I would keep my mouth shut about how I felt about the way he mis treated my fellow co workers.

So during this last peak season (2015) one of the pcm's was if your sick with the flu to stay home to prevent affecting other employees. I've been sick twice since the first of the year missing a total of 3 days due to illness so I could get better. I have a fulltime job on top of the part time UPS job to support my wife and I while she's a fulltime student.

The issue at hand;

Almost 2 weeks ago the part time sup told me that I would not be doing a certain set of cars until my attendance gets better. I was like wtf?! I alternate sets with another guy every other day. My response to the part time sup was "ok, I don't want you touching any more packages" since he did this on a daily basis. He handled irregs later that morning for 20 minutes so I filed a grievance. The remedy I wanted was for him to be moved to another area so he could no longer harass/belittle anybody else in my area. The next day he was moved to a different location in the building. The following day after he was moved he came to my area and into one of the package cars that I was in and got in my face with his finger in my face saying he was going to *#%+ me up if he saw me outside of work and put his forehand against mine. No witnesses saw the contact and I immediately went to my shop steward and told him what had happened. Told my side of the story to the center manager and was taken out of service since there was physical contact made. I have been out of work for almost 8 days now.

I went for the local hearing and was left unresolved now it's going to the panel... I just want to know what you guys think the outcome might be based on your experience. I have never had to deal with something like this before so I'm kinda worried since I need the benefits for my wife and myself. I can't really afford to go to panel since it requires air travel.

Did they explain why you were removed from service?

clean hairy

I have to wonder about the accuracy of this entire story.
Saying a Business Agent from the Union got a P/T Sup his job back?
That makes no sense, please explain this!

Cute-UPS-Man

I have to wonder about the accuracy of this entire story.
Saying a Business Agent from the Union got a P/T Sup his job back?
That makes no sense, please explain this!

The BA got him his job back while he was still a union member once reinstated he left the union and went into management.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.

The issue at hand;

They will make you sign a paper saying you will not file a lawsuit against the company and you will be given your job back with the days missed served as a suspension.

Cute-UPS-Man

How will all of this affect my health benefits that I was supposed to have kicking in at the end of this month? I'm in the southern states region.

clean hairy

I am guessing here.
If you are not working at least 1 day a week, you have no health coverage for that week, unless you pay the $ for the coverage.
Check with HR first thing in the morning, to get most correct answer.

Cute-UPS-Man

I am guessing here.
If you are not working at least 1 day a week, you have no health coverage for that week, unless you pay the $ for the coverage.

That is what I figured. I will do some more investigating..

Cementups

Box Monkey
They will make you sign a paper saying you will not file a lawsuit against the company and you will be given your job back with the days missed served as a suspension.

I'd be pushing to get back pay for that time out of service. It would be one thing if you did something wrong or were suspended for wrong doing, but he was taken out of service due to a confrontation and investigation.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I'd be pushing to get back pay for that time out of service. It would be one thing if you did something wrong or were suspended for wrong doing, but he was taken out of service due to a confrontation and investigation.
I fully understand that and agree with you, unfortunately I can almost guarantee you I am correct. Have seen it happen countless times,....

Cementups

Box Monkey
I fully understand that and agree with you, unfortunately I can almost guarantee you I am correct. Have seen it happen countless times,....

You're not wrong. I was discharged once for 2 weeks and when given the opportunity to keep my job and not fight for two weeks of back pay, I took it. But this wasn't him being discharged. I'll be curious to see how it plays out. But UPS will always try and get you to forgo getting paid.

Johney

I am guessing here.
You will still have your benefits ...

Even if he is suspended/terminated at this point in time?
This is new, like him not sure how this works.

Yes. His benefits will remain until may .......
It use to take up to a month before they would issue a letter stating UPS has not contributed to your benefits, then there was I believe a month grace period to pick up COBRA.

Cute-UPS-Man

I feel the same way about the back pay. I did nothing wrong. I just want to ensure I still get my benefits ASAP! I'm not really concerned with the money part. I just don't want to take my time off as a suspension making me look like I have some sort of guilt.. Do you think it's necessary that I attend the panel hearing to ensure I have a chance of being put back into service?