Another thumbs down for UPS

tieguy

Banned
Wow, what a reply. I haven't heard that one since grade school but what the heck. I'll take a medal or something. Maybe if you can donate a pair of brown gloves or a pair of disposable sleeves. That'll do just fine. :happy-very:Again nice reply. Whatever.

You are kidding. Please tell me you are kidding with this reply. Let me and all the other PE mechanics wave our magic wands and keep the belts at UPS from breaking down. I'm almost laughing too hard to complete this.:rofl:
I agree with your opinion on what I saw today, it was a poor job by the unload.

You sound real hopeful. With this attitude and the quality of your reply I would hope that you would want to change? No offense. Whatever.:happy-very:

Get over what? These pointless replies. First day? I don't think so. Where would you get such a silly idea. :confused2: That's right from another pointless reply. Whatever.

nothing wrong with your being critical of things at work but your own tolerance for criticism seems to be very thin.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
There is no right and wrong at UPS.

extendo; every member of management has their own interpetation of the "correct" use of it, therefore you cannot possibly have any consistency in it's application usage. Same with loadstands. In my first 2 months at UPS, I was actually given a broken loadstand once and told to just keep it in the trailer! I asked for a good one, they said they didn't have one!

Over 70s - ask for help, one day you are a hero (anyone see the safety cards the sups hand out for safe work behaviours??) Next day, ask for Teamster help on an over 70 and you'll get pulled from the trailer and sent somewhere else. The sup tosses it out.

Egress? You're buried up to your eyebrows in stacks, or just loose flow. Literally. Action: Stop the belt to clean up your work area. Result: either (1) you are in the office, or again being verbally abused for an operations/package flow slowdown. Or perhaps, you are praised for your work ethic and safe work behaviour another day. Though that is a longshot by this example.

I could go on and on. Bottom line: There is no consistency. Drivers, inside, clerks, etc etc. Every day a new flavor and a new meaning. All you can do is take it for what it is, try not to get hurt, and be a little selfish.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Don't get to work in the unload much but had a belt break today. What a disgrace! Over 70's piled up like trash, most of them the cartons were mangled or torn. Egress violations galore. Packages being dropped and thrown. Extendos not being used right. Irreg drivers driving recklessly fast. Not one load stand seen in use. All of this in plain view of all the supervisors and not one of them took any action regarding one of these issues. Oh that's right we were not having an audit today. What hypocrites! I also happen to check out the minutes of the safety committee and our committee doesn't appear to have an objection to the UPS paperwork procedure of closing unresolved concerns on the concerned log and opening them up again as a new concern. Talk about falsification of documents. It appears we are in great hands with our safety committee representation. Whatever!

Why would we care if a bunch of packages get smashed up by broken belts, its always been known that the employees are the ones doing the smashing...yea right. Why would anyone care if customers packages get smashed or broken, they are in the business of measurements and numbers, not customers packages.

ups clerk

It's actually likely to get worse. With each thinning of management there will be less enforcement of the policies and procedures. In reality, almost no one follows all the rules all the time. The ones that are followed are the ones that are most enforced. On one hand, people hate it when rules are enforced, on the other hand, people hate it when rules are not enforced.
Exactly, Big Brown Web. the bottom line from the powers that be...get those packages out, no matter what it takes. Screw safety violoations, supervisors working, and oh...make sure the hourlys don't get any over time during the process. This reminds me of the reason, why unions were organized in the first place back in the 20's and 30's where men gave up their lives to get better working conditions. Looks like we have gone full circle. The way working conditions are now, we might as well not have a union. They are useless.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Exactly, Big Brown Web. the bottom line from the powers that be...get those packages out, no matter what it takes. Screw safety violoations, supervisors working, and oh...make sure the hourlys don't get any over time during the process. This reminds me of the reason, why unions were organized in the first place back in the 20's and 30's where men gave up their lives to get better working conditions. Looks like we have gone full circle. The way working conditions are now, we might as well not have a union. They are useless.

These same things would happen without a union, probably 100x worse, ups could pay EVERYONE on the books minimum wage and the same things would happen. UPS could be the only package company in business raking in 50 billion a quarter and the same things that happen today would still be happening....its the culture. The sad thing about it is it could get better, oh so much better and there wouldnt have to be a huge amount of money spent....one could start with attitude and pulling out the ups policy book and read that a few times.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
These same things would happen without a union, probably 100x worse, ups could pay EVERYONE on the books minimum wage and the same things would happen. UPS could be the only package company in business raking in 50 billion a quarter and the same things that happen today would still be happening....its the culture. The sad thing about it is it could get better, oh so much better and there wouldnt have to be a huge amount of money spent....one could start with attitude and pulling out the ups policy book and read that a few times.

aw why'd you have to ruin it? :wink2:

You are kidding. Please tell me you are kidding with this reply. Let me and all the other PE mechanics wave our magic wands and keep the belts at UPS from breaking down. I'm almost laughing too hard to complete this.:rofl:
I agree with your opinion on what I saw today, it was a poor job by the unload.
PE Pro, I think the snarky replies are just because nothing you posted is new. These are all problems that have been occuing since the first use of conveyor belts. It's not that your observation isn't correct, it's just not new news. Granted, it isn't any different than 99% of the new posts on here. The majority of the posts on page one of the discussion forum have been discussed over and over. Don't let the snarks get ya down.

PE Pro

PE Pro,
The practices you have mentioned violate UPS Policy, the UPS Code of Business Conduct and UPS Safe Work Methods. If you are aware of these practices it is your responsiblity to report them.

It is management's responsibility to enforce UPS Policy, the UPS Code of Business Conduct and UPS Safe Work Methods. It is your responsibility to report their failure to do this. I recommend that you make an anonymous call to the UPS Help Line.

The egress issue is of particular concern to me since it is part of a Corporate Settlement Agreement between OSHA and the Corporate Executives of UPS.

Sincerely,
I
The man in tights has spoken, give me a break! I have been there, done that. The line lacks Integrity. Now that you know about it, it's your responsiblity. Report it yourself.:disguised:
BTW, How much for a fly over? I have someone I'd like you to drop one on.

over9five

Staff member
The man in tights has spoken, give me a break! I have been there, done that. The line lacks Integrity. Now that you know about it, it's your responsiblity. Report it yourself.:disguised:

You need to take a break, PE Pro. Integrity gave you your first sincere answer and you treat him like crap.

Seems to be the norm for the forum nowadays.

RoyalFlush

One of Them

Now that's funny no matter who you are...

PE Pro

You need to take a break, PE Pro. Integrity gave you your first sincere answer and you treat him like crap.

Seems to be the norm for the forum nowadays.
Oh come on. I'm only bustin. I actually like the I-man. I can't say that about the help line. I have used it on several occasions and it caused me more problems than it resolved. Lies and more lies. Whatever!
:whatever:

Integrity

Binge Poster

PE Pro,

I also have concerns about the UPS Help Line. I wonder if Integrity is even welcome there.

I have promised someone on this site that I would only focus on one issue at a time. I am currently working on a concern so I cannot report this at this time.

I am, however, very concerned about the failure of UPS management to adequately enforce the UPS/OSHA Corporate Settlement Agreement about Egress training. I will put this on my ever growing list of concerns to address in the future.

Please private message me your facility location and I will be glad to include it in the concern when I do address it.

Sincerely,
I

browniehound

Who's supposed to keep the belts from breaking down during the sort? Its easy to point out what others are doing poorly.

I agree. We all need to do our job. Things are going to go SEVERLY WRONG at UPS, its the nature of the business (or any business). I've learned this many years ago. Instead of complaining, we should all do our jobs and get the mess cleaned up. Save the complaining for the safety meetings and not during the job.

All we can do is move the packages. Its our sole purpose. We get paid by the hour. So what if the sort gets backed up? Just relax because you will be making more money. No?

PE Pro

PE Pro, no offense, but you are talking like it's your first day on the job. It is what it is, never will change, none of it. Who would want to change, anyway?

Show me where I went wrong in the post. honestly, I want to hear it.
You ask. I'll tell. I wouldn't call saying something is never going to change a very hopeful attitude. Do you? Your lack of desire to change for the better is a bit odd, anyway. :confused: Whatever!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You ask. I'll tell. I wouldn't call saying something is never going to change a very hopeful attitude. Do you? Your lack of desire to change for the better is a bit odd, anyway. :confused: Whatever!
You seem to have a zeal for the "whatevers" as I pointed out in your other complaint thread. I'm not going to tell you what to hope for and what to expect, however I find it a bit odd that you are a "PE pro" and are so disgusted with this horrible world of UPS you seem to see, yet most of us aren't so horrified anymore.

tieguy

Banned
PE Pro,

I also have concerns about the UPS Help Line. I wonder if Integrity is even welcome there.

I have promised someone on this site that I would only focus on one issue at a time. I am currently working on a concern so I cannot report this at this time.

I am, however, very concerned about the failure of UPS management to adequately enforce the UPS/OSHA Corporate Settlement Agreement about Egress training. I will put this on my ever growing list of concerns to address in the future.

Please private message me your facility location and I will be glad to include it in the concern when I do address it.

Sincerely,
I

The help line is not a catch all. People think a phone call to the help line will somehow activate Zeus to come down with thunderbolts on whatever management person you dislike.

There are people that abuse the help line by calling too much.
there are people that give vague information and wish to hide anonymously. When they do so it limits ups ability to involve you and get you the answers you are looking for. Your example was a classic one. You could have put your name out there. your request for better heating was not one that was all that unusual. You could have made that phone call set up a meeting with the PE folks and gotten some good answers to report back here with.
by staying anonymous you limited ups's ability to provide you with full disclosure on this issue.

As a representative calling yourself integrity I really think you should have shown some integrity and followed the whole process through.