Another View of Newt Gingrich

bbsam

Staff member
When I prepared my son's tax return the last year that he received UI he was able to claim the personal exemption and the first $2.4K was tax exempt.
To the original question, payroll taxes and even government assistance is taxed at some level. So who are the people who supposedly don't pay taxes?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To the original question, payroll taxes and even government assistance is taxed at some level. So who are the people who supposedly don't pay taxes?

Everyone pays taxes, whether directly or indirectly.

If we are talking net sum gain then, yes, there are those who pay no taxes.

My son is a college student. He is also a manager at Papa John's. (I love it when he brings his work home with him.:wink2:) He has all of the regular payroll taxes taken from his check but gets all of that back, plus the $400 Making America Work credit and whatever credit he gets for paying for college. He actually makes money when he files his taxes.

at what level are they taxed?

The one's not paying taxes are the one's that get all their income taxes refunded and then adding the earned income credit, their taxes are actually in the negatives. At least that is what I have read somewhere, I've never personally used the earned income credit.

Everyone pays taxes, whether directly or indirectly.

If we are talking net sum gain then, yes, there are those who pay no taxes.

My son is a college student. He is also a manager at Papa John's. (I love it when he brings his work home with him.:wink2:) He has all of the regular payroll taxes taken from his check but gets all of that back, plus the $400 Making America Work credit and whatever credit he gets for paying for college. He actually makes money when he files his taxes.

I'm not talking about sales tax or the taxes on your home or your car, yes everyone pays those taxes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

at what level are they taxed?

The one's not paying taxes are the one's that get all their income taxes refunded and then adding the earned income credit, their taxes are actually in the negatives. At least that is what I have read somewhere, I've never personally used the earned income credit.

For having never used the EIC you have a solid understanding on how it works.

What do they do with those taxes?
Many various things, some are wasted just like some federal taxes. I know where you are going with this so I'll try to answer your next question. These taxes are local and state taxes used for running the state, county and city business. Not used for "running America"

What is it with the hair splitting? Of course everyone does pay some taxes to "run America", the people that pay no income taxes are contributing a miniscule amount and use a lion's share of the benefits. Not saying it's all bad, but it dang sure isn't all good either.
'

bbsam

Staff member
Many various things, some are wasted just like some federal taxes. I know where you are going with this so I'll try to answer your next question. These taxes are local and state taxes used for running the state, county and city business. Not used for "running America"

What is it with the hair splitting? Of course everyone does pay some taxes to "run America", the people that pay no income taxes are contributing a miniscule amount and use a lion's share of the benefits. Not saying it's all bad, but it dang sure isn't all good either.
'
Well what about Social Security taxes? Those are not refunded, nor are they in a "Lock-box", and are very much used for current government liabilities with future benefits murky at best.

Well what about Social Security taxes? Those are not refunded, nor are they in a "Lock-box", and are very much used for current government liabilities with future benefits murky at best.

This is what I meant about splitting hairs, yes one pays into SSI and it is highjacked by the government to use as they see fit, but that is not the purpose of SSI and you full well know that. Someone without a job, drawing public assistance may pay SSI (that is misused)but in the long run they pay no "income tax" because they get that back if it is deducted at all. Depending on how old the person is (and other factors) they will receive payments from the SSI that those taxes were collected for.

klein

Für Meno :)
Gee, even Texas has higher state taxes then Alberta (Alberta has none) ! The GST is 5% and grocery exempt.

So, there ya go Texan.. you tax the poor more, and they don't even get a tax rebate check every 3 months like they do here.

Gee, even Texas has higher state taxes then Alberta (Alberta has none) ! The GST is 5% and grocery exempt.

So, there ya go Texan.. you tax the poor more, and they don't even get a tax rebate check every 3 months like they do here.
We have to take care of all the illegals that hang around somehow.

klein

Für Meno :)
Classic example wkmac - damn if you don't, damn if you do.

He's a great politican with his words, that didn't make any sense.... or did they ?

bbsam

Staff member
This is what I meant about splitting hairs, yes one pays into SSI and it is highjacked by the government to use as they see fit, but that is not the purpose of SSI and you full well know that. Someone without a job, drawing public assistance may pay SSI (that is misused)but in the long run they pay no "income tax" because they get that back if it is deducted at all. Depending on how old the person is (and other factors) they will receive payments from the SSI that those taxes were collected for.
But it's not splitting hairs because these folks having it deducted and not getting it back are being told that they are somehow not contributing to the nation's bills. That's simply not right and the percentage of those "on the dole" is unjustifiably increased for the sake of a crass political argument.

But it's not splitting hairs because these folks having it deducted and not getting it back are being told that they are somehow not contributing to the nation's bills. That's simply not right and the percentage of those "on the dole" is unjustifiably increased for the sake of a crass political argument.
Whatever Sam, I can't tell if you simply are not getting the point of if you are just arguing to argue. Either way, I'm done on this one.

bbsam

Staff member
The point is simple. Everyone is paying taxes and helping to fund the nation. It is simply a matter of who needs to pay more to balance the books. The 99% or the 1%. Doesn't matter if you are done on this, the issue for the nation remains.

av8torntn

The point is simple. Everyone is paying taxes and helping to fund the nation. It is simply a matter of who needs to pay more to balance the books. The 99% or the 1%. Doesn't matter if you are done on this, the issue for the nation remains.

I think if you are to look at it that way the 99% should pay more. They seem to be skating under our current policy. Of course I believe everyone should pay less but in the context of what our nation was supposed to be(a place where people were treated equal) and framed like your question was the 99% should pay much more. You can never balance the books under our current system by demanding more from just 1% of our population.

bbsam

Staff member
I think if you are to look at it that way the 99% should pay more. They seem to be skating under our current policy. Of course I believe everyone should pay less but in the context of what our nation was supposed to be(a place where people were treated equal) and framed like your question was the 99% should pay much more. You can never balance the books under our current system by demanding more from just 1% of our population.
Ah, but there's the rub. The bottom and middle have been squeezed time and time again with the top buying political framework. No sense in trying to extract money from people who don't have it.