Anti-Christian country?

moreluck

golden ticket member
This was a 42 yr. tradition.....

God and Country organizers: Pentagon denied flyover

Bryan Dooley

Thursday, July 2nd, 2009
NAMPA - Organizers of the God and Country Family Festival say the Pentagon denied a military flyover, which the celebration has featured for 42 years, because of the event's emphasis on Christianity.
"Basically, we applied to have a military flyover," Director Patti Syme told the Idaho Press-Tribune Thursday. "We were given (Federal Aviation Administration) approval, and then had to apply through the Pentagon. When we applied they denied our request because, as the gentlemen stated, our Web site specifically stated that this is a Christian event."
The Pentagon did not respond to a request for comment submitted to its media office Thursday evening.

wkmac

This was a 42 yr. tradition.....

God and Country organizers: Pentagon denied flyover

Bryan Dooley
[email protected]
Thursday, July 2nd, 2009
NAMPA - Organizers of the God and Country Family Festival say the Pentagon denied a military flyover, which the celebration has featured for 42 years, because of the event's emphasis on Christianity.
"Basically, we applied to have a military flyover," Director Patti Syme told the Idaho Press-Tribune Thursday. "We were given (Federal Aviation Administration) approval, and then had to apply through the Pentagon. When we applied they denied our request because, as the gentlemen stated, our Web site specifically stated that this is a Christian event."
The Pentagon did not respond to a request for comment submitted to its media office Thursday evening.

link to original story above

From what the Military is now saying ironically from the same news source as the above came from (another "failure to post link" violator) seems that maybe along with failing to post the link, there was also a failure to post all the details too!

In an interview with the Idaho Press-Tribune, a Pentagon official said Department of Defense policy concerning flyovers has not changed under the Obama administration, as many have suggested, nor has the application of the policy.
What has changed, according to two military representatives, is the way festival organizers worded their request this year.
"The way that the Air Force described it, in previous years the request for support focused on patriotic-type activities, but the one this year had more of a religious-type focus," Col. David Lapan of the U.S. Marine Corps, director of Defense press operations, said Tuesday.
Capt. Thomas Wenz of the Air Force press desk confirmed that account.
"There has been no change in the policy. Events that are in violation of the DoD guidelines have been turned down in the past, and will continue to be turned down," Wenz said.
The word "God" in the event's title would not automatically disqualify it, Lapan said, as the word isn't unique to a specific religious denomination.

Personally, the whole thing is wrong as taxpayers are forced across this country to pay for the "Ooooo-AAAhhhh" moment enjoyed by the event attendees and to this goes equal for NASCAR races too if the taxpayer is picking up that cost as well. Now if these events pay "ALL" costs associated with these flyovers, then it's a whole other matter and if the US Military's policy is as such that events like these don't qualify because of event wordage, change the wordage and you've got your floorshow back!

BTW: Here's the God & Country Festival website to look at yourself and see if the Air Force was correct or not in their decision. If the home page and YouTube video ain't enough, just click on "About" and then "Mission" and the first paragraph IMO sez it all and what it's all about. Seems the Air Force based on their own policy was grounded in their decision after all.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
NAMPA — Military representatives stand by the decision to deny a flyover for this year's God and Country Family Festival.
In an interview with the Idaho Press-Tribune, a Pentagon official said Department of Defense policy concerning flyovers has not changed under the Obama administration, as many have suggested, nor has the application of the policy.
What has changed, according to two military representatives, is the way festival organizers worded their request this year.
"The way that the Air Force described it, in previous years the request for support focused on patriotic-type activities, but the one this year had more of a religious-type focus," Col. David Lapan of the U.S. Marine Corps, director of Defense press operations, said Tuesday.
Capt. Thomas Wenz of the Air Force press desk confirmed that account.
"There has been no change in the policy. Events that are in violation of the DoD guidelines have been turned down in the past, and will continue to be turned down,"
Wenz said the application's wording raised immediate red flags.
"When they tied it directly to the Christian community, the tech sergeant who was processing that request got on the Web site and did a little more research into the sponsors and the purpose of the event," Wenz said in a Wednesday telephone interview.
The application submitted in 2007, the last year the Air Force processed a request from the festival, did not contain similar language, Wenz said.

edit- Mac beat me to it :)
I agree with the decision, I don't want my tax dollars going to support a christian celebration.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Let's just wait and see what happens when a Imam wants a military favor.......:sad-little: YourBama will bend over for them (and I don't mean backwards)

This was a 42 yr. old tradition for Christ's sake !!! Geez !! :knockedout:

moreluck

golden ticket member
This is the Oath of Enlistment for the Marines...

I, (name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States[ against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

So, should this read, "So help me Sigfreid"??? :dissapointed:

The military already talk about God & Country......are they going to change all that for P.C.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
So, should this read, "So help me Sigfreid"??? :dissapointed:

The military already talk about God & Country......are they going to change all that for P.C.
The "so help me god" in the oath is non-specific, it could refer to allah, zeus, or krishna depending on the individual's beliefs. It is also optional, enlistees are generally informed that they are not required to repeat that part if it conflicts with their beliefs.

moreluck

golden ticket member
If "God" is non-specific, then why is God & Country an event of Christianity?? Nothing is consistant anymore. It sucks!

I don't get it and these P.C. events do nothing to instill tolerance in me.:sad-little:

wkmac

No Moreluck but the problem is easily found at the events website. Do I need to spell it out for you? Go look at the website where under the article Roman Road it quotes from the book of Romans with extensive quotes about Jesus Christ not GOD!

Check out the musical entertainment in that all are Christian and I've got nothing against that as my daughter plays bass for a church band and one of her good musician friends has done roadie work for Barlow Girls and Switchfoot. The fact is, these bands have a very distinct message about Jesus, not God in general, so again, based on what the Air Force is saying, I understand their point.

Under the About icon under mission, it becomes most obvious IMO.

The Mission of the God and Country Festival

Friday, 13 April 2007 Our mission is primarily about spreading the Good News of Jesus Christ. We believe this Festival, started in 1967, is an incredible tool to share this Good News by strengthening the fabric of our society through our connection to family and country.
We want to encourage believers everywhere to get out in their communities, not just to strengthen each other, but to encourage family, friends, neighbors, and coworkers to learn more about who Jesus Christ is and what He's done for each and every one of us.
To borrow a phrase from Michael Boerner of Mission Media,

In order to witness to people, you have to do the following:
  • Bless people
  • Fellowship with them
  • Meet their needs
  • Present the Truth
Now you may take a trinitarian POV and see Jesus as God and therefore the words God and Jesus in your mind are interchangeable but not all see it that way. Air Force at this time seems to echo that as well.

I'm not denying what these folks are trying to do isn't wholesome and worthwhile and from their POV I'm sure they only mean the best and want everyone to have the best. I can and do appreciate that. But the fact is, had they not been so overt and maybe this year they were verses years past, I'd bet the 43rd year of this event would be like the last 42. Now if you or they can show that this language has not changed over time and they are doing nothing now that they didn't do last year, you've got a legit beef and also if you can find any case that the military doesn't treat other faiths in equal fashion, you point it out and I'm right there with you all the way. And I'm betting a certain other poster here would be the same way!

wkmac

The "so help me god" in the oath is non-specific, it could refer to allah, zeus, or krishna depending on the individual's beliefs. It is also optional, enlistees are generally informed that they are not required to repeat that part if it conflicts with their beliefs.

Bring back any memories, did it?
:wink2:

moreluck

golden ticket member
thanks wkmac. I was just upset about a 42 yr. old tradition. I guarantee you that next year they will get their flyover!! They'll "play the game" to get it.

I still think it sucks!

over9five

Staff member
thanks wkmac. I was just upset about a 42 yr. old tradition. I guarantee you that next year they will get their flyover!! They'll "play the game" to get it.

Why wait till next year? Re-apply now with a letter that says you're a good Muslim organization....

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Hey, if this gets the Christian Right to rethink their sometimes blind loyalty to the military, then this could be a good thing.

Personally, I am with wkmac on this one. I kind of resent my tax dollars going to this kind of thing. Unless the event pays for it, should we really being blowing money like this?

wkmac

OR flying Air Force One around NY for photo ops.

I'm with ya on that too!

Watch out, seems he's looking for another spot to buzz! :happy-very:

I'd like to go into his office just to see that rug. Maybe it's always been there and I've never noticed it. The Dang thing is huge!

Thanks to Tie for the photo

P

pickup

Let's just wait and see what happens when a Imam wants a military favor.......:sad-little: YourBama will bend over for them (and I don't mean backwards)

This was a 42 yr. old tradition for Christ's sake !!! Geez !! :knockedout:

Oh what a loaded story this one is. Respectfully I say to you moreluck, that I believe the exemption that fedex enjoys is at least a few decades long and just as wrong. People once argued that slavery was a cherished and longtime tradition, yet one would hardly argue in retrospect that such a tradition by virtue of its longevity deserved to be continued based on that longevity.

Main issue, and someone else mentioned it, is that these flyovers are an unconstitutional waste of our (taxpayers) money. I don't think we , as taxpayers, should be supporting anyone's religious events, and that includes Nascar(which is a religion onto itself). That includes baseball games etc. I would have preferred to see friend-15s knocking commercial airliners out of the sky on 9/11 (I know , hard to coordinate) than to see them flying over a stadium right on cue with the ending of the national anthem (I know, easy to coordinate)

P

pickup

I'm still trying to figure out the correlation between good christians and flying death machines ????????:wink2:

I sometimes wonder if the means and ends of God and the means and ends of country aren't always in concordance with each other. Just a silly thought , I know!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Originally Posted by diesel96
I'm still trying to figure out the correlation between good christians and flying death machines ????????:wink2:

D....if you are in a plane and plummeting to Earth, I don't think you'll be screaming "Oh My Elmo !!" :happy-very:

diesel96

Originally Posted by diesel96

D....if you are in a plane and plummeting to Earth, I don't think you'll be screaming "Oh My Elmo !!" :happy-very:

Oh, I would be screaming "Oh my Elmo" as I grab the hottest stewardess, and intiate my membership into the thirty thousand foot club while plummenting to earth.....:cool_dog:Aren't Men dogs ? ....lol