Antidepressant question

cdldriver

I'm a CDL driver for Express. Is there any problem with FedEx drivers taking antidepressants? I do not take them at this time, but it is possible that I may have to start taking them in the near future.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm a CDL driver for Express. Is there any problem with FedEx drivers taking antidepressants? I do not take them at this time, but it is possible that I may have to start taking them in the near future.

The DOT maintains a long list of banned prescription drugs for DOT drivers. You need to talk with a physician familiar with the list and make sure you aren't taking something that isn't approved. Most doctors are blissfully unaware of the DOT list.

STFXG

Section 391.41(b)(12) states: A person is physically qualified to drive a CMV if that person does not use a controlled substance identified in 21 CFR 1308.11, Schedule I, an amphetamine, a narcotic, or any other habit-forming drug. Exception: A driver may use such a substance or drug, if the substance or drug is prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner who is familiar with the driver’s medical history and assigned duties; and has advised the driver that the prescribed substance or drug will not adversely affect the driver’s ability to safely operate a CMV. This exception does not apply to methadone.

Medical Examiners are required to give careful consideration to the effects of medications on a driver’s ability to operate a CMV safely before rendering the driver qualified.

RTURNSONLY

A driver I know, (he has since retired), used to take 200 mg of Lamictal on a daily basis. Lamictal is used for depression, but mostly for bipolarity, like in his case. I remember he needed to bring a note from his psychiatrist once a year for his DOT medical and give a copy to his manager. The note stated that the medication would not interfere with his driving capabilities. That was FedEx's way of protecting themselves in case of an incident, or worse, an accident involving this employee.