Any automotive mechanics!!!!!!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I'm a driver not a mechanic so I can't be of much help but the things I know that might help...
1) Vehicles are split up & assigned to specific mechanics
2) Drivers fill out DVIRs at the end of the day listing safety issues or non-safety related issues so that workload could vary on any given day in addition to the periodic maintenance stuff you'd have.

Boomer

retired mechanic here, if you worked in dealership you have no problem with the work, it' the UPS b.s. that's going to be the hardest

mook8809

so i have been away for a little while and the app on my phone hasent worked had to download it again. i had my second interview the other day for an outside center. the supervisor i talked to on my first interview, was scaring the crap out of me again telling me that since this position is for an outside center not a hub i would be by myself and no veteran mechanics to ask questions. he said "i dont need a good mechanic i need a superstar". "someone who thinks they are god with a wrench". what is the deal?

I was a UPS mechanic for 26 years .Its not for everone its hard and you have a fleet of 30+ package cars or 15 + feeders .NO overtime except during peak .And if you have slugs working with you its even worse .It took 10years to get a day job and I had to move to a another state for that. all I can say is YOU ARE PUNISHED FOR BEING GOOD at UPS. But I do like my pension check ever mounth Good Luck

mook8809

does anyone work at an extended center? thats the position i have interviewed i would be a one man team responsible for 42 cars.

dragracer66

There are 2 mini centers in my district. Each one has 1 mechanic each. First off they don't do any big jobs that they shouldn't do by themselves. those jobs get sent out, like transmissions, rear springs and hangers front axles also. Secondly there is overtime don't let anybody tell you different yes they might cut it back but mechanics in out lying centers do get it. My 2 guys love it nobody watching them for 8 hours and they get to work all the double time holidays with no seniority issues and pretty much run the show. Also as far as asking questions just call the major hub your out lying center is related to and those guys there would be glad to help. Or just post a thread on here there's enough of us here to help. Good Luck!

FilingBluesFL

From what I see, I would do it if I could.

Like everyone said, lots of little idiosyncrasies with all the different types and drivetrains of the package cars, but as long as you've got a good head on your shoulders, shouldn't be a big deal.

Most of the time you're going to deal with a lot of stupid/obnoxious BS from prima donna drivers.

Worst breakdowns I've had:
One Saturday for airs I had a truck with almost NO clutch... had to baby it the day to get it through and back. Had to idle off a stop or the clutch would slip like no ones business.

Had a rubber hose blow in-cab going to the heater core that blew coolant all over in the cab.

Had a starter that had issues, had to leave the package car running all day and couldn't turn it off.

Had a package car just plain stop in the middle of a 4 lane highway. Would only crank and crank and crank, and wouldn't start. A day later, it just magically started working again.

Most of the time it's just literally stupid BS, replacing lock tumblers, fixing bulkhead doors, and now that the keyless system is in, dealing with that crap.

We have some package cars that leave a pool of oil/fluids overnight, their solution is to top 'em off after parking them every night, so it can't be that difficult, eh????

Also, getting a lot more LS based package cars in, so if you do chevy, easy enough. Lots of Cummins 24v Diesels, too.

mook8809

There are 2 mini centers in my district. Each one has 1 mechanic each. First off they don't do any big jobs that they shouldn't do by themselves. those jobs get sent out, like transmissions, rear springs and hangers front axles also. Secondly there is overtime don't let anybody tell you different yes they might cut it back but mechanics in out lying centers do get it. My 2 guys love it nobody watching them for 8 hours and they get to work all the double time holidays with no seniority issues and pretty much run the show. Also as far as asking questions just call the major hub your out lying center is related to and those guys there would be glad to help. Or just post a thread on here there's enough of us here to help. Good Luck!
thats awsome information i really appreciate.. it seems like they try to make the job seem worse to see if your willing to do the work load and not just get a union job for gravy work. which i am not looking to do i am a working man who is good at the mechanic field and im just trying to find a good job to help me provide for my family. in the best way possible

mook8809

i mean as long as there is troubleshooting trees to help diagnose issues i may not be familiar with i shouldent really have a problem. but again surfing the internet for diagnosing info takes time and i dont really know if 42 cars is more than average less than average for someones fleet.

FilingBluesFL

The only mechanic I've seen fired out of our center, was a new hire that decided it was a good idea to take naps in the package cars instead of doing work...

mook8809

lol... i don't understand people, when i went to my second interview they had told me they hired 2 mechanics for the position before me and each only lasting a month or 2 because they must have thought he was kidding about the working at night thing. the supervisor makes it pretty clear that this is a night time position and you have a long line ahead of you before you are likely to get a day time...

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Where I'm at, the extended centers get all the new trucks and rotate their stock with the larger center/hubs. There's a lot of transfers from the outer centers for the more time consuming jobs...oh and btw, there's no lifts in our building. Get used to jackstands, creepers, and cranking the steering wheel all the way to one end and settling down between the tire and the firewall to do jobs around the steering column and tires. But if there's anything you don't know, you'll have access to a phone to call other centers in the area to get info. Maybe you fellers can start a thread in the partners forum to share the ****e sandwich.

mook8809

Where I'm at, the extended centers get all the new trucks and rotate their stock with the larger center/hubs. There's a lot of transfers from the outer centers for the more time consuming jobs...oh and btw, there's no lifts in our building. Get used to jackstands, creepers, and cranking the steering wheel all the way to one end and settling down between the tire and the firewall to do jobs around the steering column and tires. But if there's anything you don't know, you'll have access to a phone to call other centers in the area to get info. Maybe you fellers can start a thread in the partners forum to share the ****e sandwich.
yah that would be a good idea. im not used to haveing any kind of lift to work with so i have always learned how to mcguyver with jacks and stands. i am not hired yet and dont really know if i will be hired but i was reading into the contract a little and see that there is now a 4 year progrssion rate. what are some of the other things that have changed.

FilingBluesFL

It's kind of ridiculous to see the trucks being worked on...

They put them up on Jack stands... that literally have the truck maybe 1 inch higher than it would be if it were sitting on the ground...