Any BC members ever get reprimanded for threads/posts?

D

Dis-organized Labor

I'm in management (ahem) and I have these voices that run through my head all the time.
I given myself a lot of Verbal Warnings, but they don't seem to be effective to change my behavior.

I look in the mirror with a blank stare when I tell myself that I'm "stealing time"

Does this help Innerstate??

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Scratch,
As well you shouldn't have. Remember the small right of free speech garunteed to every American?

You're not publishing industry secrets here, are you? That would be a entire different ball game

Unless you take an oath to not disperse information, how can anyone one be reprimanded for publishing their own opinion about UPS?

Do we still live in a free country?

This is a common misconception.
The Freedom of Speech only applies to the governments.
There is no law that protects an individual from actions taken by their employer. This applies to sport atheletes, pastors, sports broadcasters and UPSers.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
As far as I know I am the only one out of my ctr that posts here. I have never heard anything from anyone about it.
Ive been on here a while, and Thursday was the first time I ever had anyone say anything. A nice driver I barely know says he sees my posts on here all the time, and he added he thinks it is a very beneficial place to get info. And to see it is the same everywhere, and sometimes worse elsewhere. And I have no idea how he knew it was me.

Dustyroads

This is a common misconception.
The Freedom of Speech only applies to the governments.
There is no law that protects an individual from actions taken by their employer. This applies to sport atheletes, pastors, sports broadcasters and UPSers.

In fact, there is a whole area of labor law that does deal with free speech. Free speech and concerted activity are protected by various Federal laws, including those in the National Labor Relations Act.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ive been on here a while, and Thursday was the first time I ever had anyone say anything. A nice driver I barely know says he sees my posts on here all the time, and he added he thinks it is a very beneficial place to get info. And to see it is the same everywhere, and sometimes worse elsewhere. And I have no idea how he knew it was me.

Maybe he recognized your dog.:wink2:

UPSGUY72

My SUP knows that I post on BC. One time he said you if you have any question you can ask me. Then he said your not the only one that goes on BC.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was on a sales lead ride with our District Manager and Brown Cafe came up in coversation. He had no idea that I posted here but did say that it was a good source of information.

When word of the EBO first came out I approached my on-car and asked him what he had heard about it and whether he was eligible or not. He had heard very little, mostly through the FNN (Feeder News Network), so we went online and I let him read the EBO thread and he was amazed at the amount of information and, as it turns out, the accuracy of the information.

My center manager knows that I go here but doesn't say much about it. He will give a PCM about a new service or other issue and know that I have already read about it here.

My BD folks are blown away when I approach them about a new service or issue which they have yet to hear anything about.

Then, of course, there is my "stalker" who has yet to identify himself.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Back in the humble beginnings of the BrownCafe (1999) I was a management person working at UPS. I must say that initially I was concerned with how upper management and others might react to the BrownCafe. Although UPS stock had just gone public the culture was still strong and a website exposing some of that culture seemed like a wild card to me. However, the BrownCafe caught on fast. It was no secret who I was and that Cheryl, the creator of BrownCafe, was my wife.

These initial concerns were soon put to rest as people started asking me about the BrownCafe in a friendly and positive way. The TSG manager in our district would often chat with me about it. The Region offices were only a couple of miles away from the building I worked in and our building would receive visits from them all the time. On more than one occasion a group from the region TSG staff would approach me with accolades about the site and tell me how some of them were members that had conversations with Cheryl by email.

Our district offices were in our building as well and when I was up there I frequently saw the BrownCafe up on various computer monitors and also on the district I.E. manager’s computer. We actually talked about how he liked to look at it every morning to get an update on things. When I went in to visit our district manager to get my MIP he would ask me how the BrownCafe and Cheryl were doing and we would talk about it.

Even in the young stages of the BrownCafe you could tell that people from corporate on down were curious about it. It was an outside, non UPS sponsored website that was not influenced or controlled by Corporate. I remember being at a management report back meeting in those early days where part of a presentation included recommending the BrownCafe as a reference point and source of information. Also at that time we had what we called Town hall meetings where our division’s, drivers, management and district staff would share new things about the company, the direction, concerns, ect. Spouses were encouraged to come to those meetings so Cheryl came to a couple of them with me. There were always a few people that would come up to her with questions or comments about the BrownCafe.

This all took place in the early 2000’s. I left the company early in December, 2003, after working for UPS for over 26 years. My identity was always known and no one ever said anything negative to me about this website…

CYA... Staying anonymous is probably the best idea for regular members that are currently employed by UPS. Cheryl really didn't give me a choice!!:wink2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I'm in management (ahem) and I have these voices that run through my head all the time.
I given myself a lot of Verbal Warnings, but they don't seem to be effective to change my behavior.

I look in the mirror with a blank stare when I tell myself that I'm "stealing time"

Does this help Innerstate??
Bad boy! Maybe 50 lashes with a wet noodle will change your behavior. :wink2:

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
One time I got a phone call from a UPS lawyer because a member registered an account under the name of the UPS CEO. The member that registered the account was a well known prankster and the whole thing was an obvious parody. The lawyer politely asked me to remove it, so I did.

I guess that could be called a reprimand.

Thumbster

I always find out info on BC way before it's PCM'ed. For instance, most members of my management team don't even know what telematics is... I told my on car sup about this site and he checked it out. He said he would like to post some comments, but is terrified that "they" will find out who he is. Why would he be so scared? That attitude from a manager tells me that it's probably wise to stay anonymous just to be on the safe side, even if you don't post objectionable or confrontational stuff...

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
CYA... Staying anonymous is probably the best idea for regular members that are currently employed by UPS. Cheryl really didn't give me a choice!!:wink2:

Don't know of anyone getting in trouble. I hear the communications people talking about things that were posted but more of BC being a good source of UPSers' reactions to things going on at UPS.

But good advise Tony. I prefer to stay anonymous just in case and who knows when UPS might come up with a social networking policy.