Any BC members ever get reprimanded for threads/posts?

bbsam

Staff member
Not really. There's a program that used to be on Silk Rose that could literally infiltrate just about any forum like this and completely open the members system to outside eyes. I believe it was called "Undercurrent".

bbsam

Staff member
Not really. i made that up for the more conspiracy minded folks to chase. But I wouldn't doubt something like it was once available and Silk Rose offered everything nefarious.

bbsam

Staff member
But since we are talking about it, might be a good time to update firewalls and online security...just in case.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
MOST common consumer IP addresses are NOT static (static meaning it is the same IP all the time).

Our IP addresses are generally dynamic, and always changing all the time. Unless you are logged on to UPSERS and BC at the same time, or within a short amount of time to each other, that's about the only time they can match IP addresses.
Dynamic or not, unless you have dial-up, your IP address really won't change very much. Most modems have a really long IP lease time. Restarting your modem will cause it to grab a new IP though in case you're paranoid.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
MOST common consumer IP addresses are NOT static (static meaning it is the same IP all the time).

Our IP addresses are generally dynamic, and always changing all the time. Unless you are logged on to UPSERS and BC at the same time, or within a short amount of time to each other, that's about the only time they can match IP addresses.
That's only partially true. Most cable modems will renew the dhcp lease with the same IP so while not a dedicated IP or officially static, most residential broadband customers will keep the same IP unless they have an extended power outage or change equipment.

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app

bluehdmc

That's only partially true. Most cable modems will renew the dhcp lease with the same IP so while not a dedicated IP or officially static, most residential broadband customers will keep the same IP unless they have an extended power outage or change equipment.

Not a computer geek here but I have cable internet and the targeted ads I get range for a number of towns within a 15 mile radius of my home. I would assume that has something to do with the IP. Like I said I'm not a geek, more a point and click guy.

FilingBluesFL

Dynamic or not, unless you have dial-up, your IP address really won't change very much. Most modems have a really long IP lease time. Restarting your modem will cause it to grab a new IP though in case you're paranoid.

The Number One "problem solver" that you get when you call the "help" hotline about your internet from your service provider, is "Have you unplugged your modem from the power for at least 30 seconds?"

I think most ignorant people that have broadband internet use this technique to solve MOST of their problems after they've been told to do it by the cable company multiple times lol

gingerkat

generally dynamic, and always changing all the time.
I've been called dynamic before… oh wait what are we talking about?

Only got my paw slapped once and it was because of a trolling multi millionaire who complained. Kinda makes me laugh now seeing that guy has disappeared now that everyone else has made fun of him and questioned his millions. Hmmm… seems like curiosity did not kill this kat.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The Number One "problem solver" that you get when you call the "help" hotline about your internet from your service provider, is "Have you unplugged your modem from the power for at least 30 seconds?"

I think most ignorant people that have broadband internet use this technique to solve MOST of their problems after they've been told to do it by the cable company multiple times lol
That's called power cycling. Just essentially rebooting sadly does fix most problems with routers and modems but I know what you mean.

Sent from Nexus 7 using BrownCafe mobile app