Any chance of flat rate or no extra fees??

diesel96

I ship 10-12 packages per day,I've been a ups shipper for 5-6 years and have a scheduled pickup each day, I have reached the point where I cant afford to ship with ups becasue so many of my customers dont know where they live..There is not alot of profit in my sales and when I get hit with address correction fees, fuel charge fees, out of area fees,and so forth..on some shipments I actually loose money, Is there any chance ups might have a flat rate box anytime in the future? I dont want to quit shipping with ups its just not economically feaseble right now. thanks!

Assuming your shipping "petmeds" to your customers, IMO they shouldn't own pets if they don't know where they live...

Anyway, may I suggest raising your shipping charge rate slightly above the UPS rate there in absorbing any future incurred address correction charges.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If the customer is trying to reduce his bill by dropping his daily P/U and shipping online, it would make no sense to schedule a P/U. The key for the customer is knowing that he has to get his pkgs to us, which can be done by either handing them to the driver when he gets his delivery, dropping them off either at the center, in a drop box, with a driver, or at the UPS Store, or developing a working relationship with his driver to make sure that he can get his pkgs to that driver, whether it be a phone call or maybe a drop box at his business/house. I have a couple of Internet shippers and they both know that it is up to them to get their pkgs to me. They don't ship enough to make a daily P/U cost effective. One of them has them ready when I make his delivery and the other has set up a drop box at his house. These are not scheduled P/Us but the cover driver knows about both and they are on trace so we get the pkgs and their bill is reduced.

H_E_Pennypacker

Large Member
First - If you are shipping that much for that long, you likely have a sales person assigned to you or else are in a bucket of unassigned accounts. Call Customer Service and request that a sales person call you to speak with you about any discounts that you may qualify for. Also let your driver know that you want to speak with somebody about discounts and s/he should will submit a sales lead. Between the two of them, somebody should be in touch within a couple of days.

Secondly - If your customer's don't know where they live, that can be a problem . . . Both WorldShip and UPS.com have built in address correction features. You should use them. Also, if your orders are coming in from a website, UPS online tools has an address correction that you can bring into your website at no charge.

Third - Fuel Surcharges are lower than have been in a long time. March Ground is 2.75% and Air is 2.5%. April Ground is 2.5% and Air is 0.0%. At the peak last summer Ground was at 10.5% and air was at 34.5%. That's a big difference.

Out of area fees while going up in dollar amount are going down in number each year. The structure changed slightly this year, so you may be seeing them a little bit differently and noticing them, but they've always been there.

All very good points Brown Suit. Also, depending on the number of consignees you are shipping to, you might qualify for Hundredweight. UPS used to automatically apply hundreweight pricing if you shipped a qualifying shipment, but now it is contract only... so get your account on a contract. Also, if you ship any LTL, let the UPS person know as well. They are offering all sorts of bundled discounts now that give you even steeper discounts if you use UPS for small package and freight.

petmeds

Well, once they figure out where they live,they can pass this info to you and you can send them thier petmeds.An easy way to do this is get a website,although if your customers dont know where they live,they may not have phones let alone computers.How did they hear about you?

How can they afford pet drugs?

I have an overweight cat,but I dont know where I live.

pls splain

Just about all of them have been in the same house for years but I guess with the 911 address's and the post office changing the zip codes they still think they are at route "5 box 77 instead of 2330 johnson lane".
thanks!

Work right slow and safe

I ship 10-12 packages per day,I've been a ups shipper for 5-6 years and have a scheduled pickup each day, I have reached the point where I cant afford to ship with ups becasue so many of my customers dont know where they live..There is not alot of profit in my sales and when I get hit with address correction fees, fuel charge fees, out of area fees,and so forth..on some shipments I actually loose money, Is there any chance ups might have a flat rate box anytime in the future? I dont want to quit shipping with ups its just not economically feaseble right now. thanks!

From what i can tell no matter who you ship with you will still have the same problem like usps from what i know they will ship the package back to you and still charge you for the first shipment and then you will need to ship it back out and pay once more fedex will charge a fee also to fix the address

Best thing to do is set some time aside check the address before you ship them out and lets hope this will fix the problem we love you that you ship with ups but there is only so much we can do to cut cost on your customers mess up

Just about all of them have been in the same house for years but I guess with the 911 address's and the post office changing the zip codes they still think they are at route "5 box 77 instead of 2330 johnson lane".
thanks!

So for example, How much would Heartgaurd for 3 dogs ,50+ lbs each,shipped to someone in central Illinois who knows his address be?