Any Classic Car/Truck builders out there ?

1Low59

1 of the clerks in my ctr builds and sells mustangs. He has built 3 of them since I got my truck. Last 1 sold for $35000.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
1 of the clerks in my ctr builds and sells mustangs. He has built 3 of them since I got my truck. Last 1 sold for $35000.
You know we like to talk like we don't have time but my cousin is a lineman. Pretty regularly works 70+ hours and still has projects going non stop

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I bought this '69 right before I turned 19 and I kept it for about 25 years. I sold it and doubled my money on it so I guess I did alright. It had a L-46 350CI/350HP with a Muncie 4-speed that was bored out with the biggest hydraulic cam that Crane made. 32 coats of pearl white lacquer on top of it. I had it halfway restored when somebody waved a large wad of cash under my nose. I wish I kept it.
Corvette69.jpg

1Low59

This truck was supposed to be for my son but he said this is mine. He wants to build a 47-53 Chevy Stepside when we are done with this one. Luckily, I have some years ahead before he is at driving age.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I bought this '69 right before I turned 19 and I kept it for about 25 years. I sold it and doubled my money on it so I guess I did alright. It had a L-46 350CI/350HP with a Muncie 4-speed that was bored out with the biggest hydraulic cam that Crane made. 32 coats of pearl white lacquer on top of it. I had it halfway restored when somebody waved a large wad of cash under my nose. I wish I kept it.View attachment 94361

Very nice car.

32 coats of paint? How many do they apply at the factory?

1Low59

I bought this '69 right before I turned 19 and I kept it for about 25 years. I sold it and doubled my money on it so I guess I did alright. It had a L-46 350CI/350HP with a Muncie 4-speed that was bored out with the biggest hydraulic cam that Crane made. 32 coats of pearl white lacquer on top of it. I had it halfway restored when somebody waved a large wad of cash under my nose. I wish I kept it.View attachment 94361
Money talks. I wish I would have kept my other trucks. I had a 65 Chevy Stepside and a 64 Chevy Fleetside. Didn't have the room to keep them.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
@scratch
Who's the young guy in the picture? lol

I was in my early 20's at a Corvette show, notice the flared jeans and I still had a moustache. This was about the time I started driving full-time.

Very nice car.

32 coats of paint? How many do they apply at the factory?

I bought it from a cousin of mine, it had a custom paint job already on it. Primer, Pearl White, hand-drawn gold pin striping with eight coats of clear on top of it. I had never seen a pearl paint job at the time. I saw it a dusk, it looked like silver that was glowing in the dark. Too many coats though, it started cracking over the years. Took a long time to sand it off when I started restoring it.

Money talks. I wish I would have kept my other trucks. I had a 65 Chevy Stepside and a 64 Chevy Fleetside. Didn't have the room to keep them.

I rebuilt the engine the second time and started restoring it. It took me a long time to sand the paint off and shoot some primer on it. It sat in my basement like that for years since it was a low priority while raising a family at the time.

1Low59

I rebuilt the engine the second time and started restoring it. It took me a long time to sand the paint off and shoot some primer on it. It sat in my basement like that for years since it was a low priority while raising a family at the time.[/QUOTE]
That old paint takes forever to get off. I hit the truck with the soda blaster and it took forever.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
In the early 70's, my brother and I started a frame-restoration on his 1961 MGA.

We tore everything off it. Sandblasted the frame and took it to a local ironworks for primer and paint. Rebuilt the suspension, rear end, transmission and engine.

We realized when we got to the body that we didn't have the skills to do a good job. He found a retired guy and his two sons who had restored several MGAs for themselves, and offered to finish it for $5 an hour.

They finished except for the interior, and my brother got antsy and put the old seats in it and started driving it.

Then he hit another car. It didn't look bad, but the whole front end was tweaked enough to jam the doors.

After it sat in my garage like that for a year, he sold it for $1500. I still wish I would have bought it.

1Low59

In the early 70's, my brother and I started a frame-restoration on his 1961 MGA.

We tore everything off it. Sandblasted the frame and took it to a local ironworks for primer and paint. Rebuilt the suspension, rear end, transmission and engine.

We realized when we got to the body that we didn't have the skills to do a good job. He found a retired guy and his two sons who had restored several MGAs for themselves, and offered to finish it for $5 an hour.

They finished except for the interior, and my brother got antsy and put the old seats in it and started driving it.

Then he hit another car. It didn't look bad, but the whole front end was tweaked enough to jam the doors.

After it sat in my garage like that for a year, he sold it for $1500. I still wish I would have bought it.
The MGA were some cool a** cars.