Any drivers here deliver in worst neighborhoods in america??

M

Midwest fool

Oh the stories i could tell ya!!!!!!!! how many others out there KNOW they are delivering illegal drugs EVERYDAY

over9five

Staff member
On my route, the slums are houses worth less than$700,000....

Mowing your own lawn is unheard of...

No-one owns a pick-up truck. If you see one, it belongs to the landscaper...

And don't you dare walk on the grass! (Hard for me, I'm from the country where that's what the grass is there for)

Lexus RX330 is the vehicle of choice. You are looked down on if you have a RX300...

You buy a house here for the land. You then tear down the house and erect a mansion...

P

pennylanelisa

You then tear down the house and erect a mansion...[/QUOTE]

You said "erect"...dddooiiinnggg!!!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Youngstown Crime Statistics and Crime Data (Youngstown, OH)
I deliver here. Its a fine town.

Although most of what Tieguy says I agree with, but
1. I always make eye contact. Windows to the soul, you got to know what they are thinking, and you have to watch them or you wont know
2. I always try to deliver early because after three they are getting up, but commercial first........
I dont depend on the cops coz there arent enough, and they dont come if you call, at least not fast enough.
If there is a crowd, I just drive on by. Tomorrow is another day, and God willing I will still be here.
The kids walk on cars on their way home from school, and the cops just follow with their flashers on till all are off the Main rd..............
The convienince stores lock their doors when school dismisses, so no delivering then.
The last guy got stabbed twice, but UPS says he did it to himself, I dont know but I never sit and sort. Its stupid, unless I am in one of my few safe places.
Christmas used to be the worst, but they seem to know we dont have cash anymore. I would rather have 4 g in cod money tho than what I carry. At least they might leave me alone if they got big bucks.

But I have never had a problem I couldnt drive away from. I was on a street one night when a 5 yr old got hit in a drive by, I drove by. He lived.

All day long I see the DEA with their vests in the same cars every day. Since I am up hi, I can see in their cars, I know a few of them, but when they are in an area, I know not to be there for awhile.

And the saddest part is there are some really great people, hard working, just cant make enough to get out. And especially the old people, prisoners in their homes. Where I live I rarely lock my doors, where they live I cant even leave a pkg in the door as they are all locked. And if I need a sig, I have to wait for them to find their keys to unlock the door.

Really makes you appreciate what you have after a day in a hood.
We took a way motivation, when we gave them all money to sit home and not even try, Thats the inner city of Youngstown, generation after generation of people who never had to even try, And the people who have kids who shouldnt have a hamster. These are not the leftovers from the steel mills that shut down, those hard working people moved on and survived. The good people in the area, may not be the brightest among us but some of the nicest, but have been overthrown by guns and drugs, and thugs.

I had 8 kids under 7 on my bumper and not a parent in sight. I had to get out and make them get off five times one night, before I could count them all in the mirror, and camera. I finally showed them I had a camera (my back up device) and that they were all on it and I was going to give it to the police and they would all go to jail, if they didnt get off my bumper. At that age they knew what jail was, SAD.

DS

Fenderbender
Tie and Tooner ....thats an eye opener to me...its very rare here in Toronto to see shiht like that happen.We still take cash...and as far as I know,we dont need any police protection ,although there are some weirdos...

Uncle Rico

Delivered in north St. Louis for both ups and fedex. Gangbangers, criminals, low-lifes intermixed with hard-working people trying to live a decent honest life. Delivered to a corner store one afternoon, 2 hours later cop shot there. Drug head always asking for a dollar or some change. If I had a nickel for everytime someone asked my for a dollar, I'd be rich. Murders were at national high a couple years back. I'm from the city originally, white boy delivering in predominately African american neighborhood. Felt a bullseye target was painted on my back. Probably the wrong thing to say here, but it gave me a very faint glimpse of what a black person might feel like walking into white suburbia.
Once you get the feel for the hood, you see the same drunks, gangstas, punks hanging on the same corners, it is a bit more comfortable, but never get comfortable. Never let my guard down. Always kept my eyes moving. Had to have an attitude to protect yourself. Dude would ask for a dollar, my reply got to be "aint got :censored2: for you man" and keep moving. Never show fear although I should have carried extra shorts for all the times I felt like I would crap my pants.
Sad part was, there were hard working people living in these neighborhoods that kept their houses nice but the slumlord neighbor never did squat, therefore, it became crack house. Children getting shot from drivebys because they were riding their bikes like kids should be able to do. Sad. Glad I am out of that job.
And yeah, it doesn't just happen in lower socio-economic, black neighborhoods. Recently had news story about freak woman stealing 7 day old baby and slashing mothers throat to get away. Both are ok after tip led to freak woman's house. This happened in sleepy country town. In white suburbia where I now live, punks do the same disrespectful things but the latest is racing cars on busy streets. No respect for the poor slug driving to his kid's soccer game, just ram his car, kill him and say oh sorry I'm just a punk teenager.
Hate and disrespect permiates every neighborhood, it is just easier to target the black lower-middle class hoods. Here in MO, there are meth labs everywhere. Probably one down the street from me that my kid goes riding by on her bike everyday.
Sorry, went on rant and many tangents. Just one of those days when you watch the news to see if it is going to rain and you hear about all the crap going on in the world. Tomorrow is Saturday, it will be better.

DS

Fenderbender
Meth labs are showing up here too...dont these people care that this is just crap that will eventually kill them?iTS WORSE THAN SMOKING. Heres how you make it (simplified)...Mix psuedoepherine
(sudafed) with paint thinner,add mineral spirits,distilled water...dry thoroughly.add iodine,red phospheropus, coleman fuel,acetone,
and lye...its sad ...make pot legal so these kids dont die

rushfan

YO:GOT THE CHRONIC!

My area is relatively quiet...however...I'm always mindful of what could happen. I would hand over the keys, and say, "you can deliver and work over 10 hours".

We had a driver, who retired. His route took him in the mountains-no cell phone coverage, not many people. He carried heat. .44 Magnum S&W Chrome, .25 caliber on his ankle. Our center doesn't have metal detectors nor guards, so he could keep the heat with him in his bag when he arrived. He told me this at a private party where only a select few were invited.

You see, many of the people who live in the mountains near here are like the people on "Deliverance" He said he knew he was being watched alot. Many idots run meth labs in the mountains, same with growing the "chronic" also. So rightly so, he carried his arsenal with him.

Last edited:

Uncle Rico

It's getting off topic, but I recently watched a TV show either on BS or Discovery about the growing number of meth labs and addicts. They showed a slideshow of several addits as the were busted over a couple of years and had their mug shots taken. From bust one to bust 10 over a relatively short period of time (2-3 years) these people aged in the photos 50 years. Showed some somewhat attractive 30 year old woman who 3 years later looked ugly and 70 years old. It is everywhere. And the dumb :censored2:s producing it typically blow up the garage or basement right smack dab in the middle of "quiet subrubia" or on some farm out in the boonies. Sorry, but they get no compassion from me when they blow their faces off making meth.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Delivered in north St. Louis for both ups and fedex. Gangbangers, criminals, low-lifes intermixed with hard-working people trying to live a decent honest life. Delivered to a corner store one afternoon, 2 hours later cop shot there. Drug head always asking for a dollar or some change. If I had a nickel for everytime someone asked my for a dollar, I'd be rich. Murders were at national high a couple years back. I'm from the city originally, white boy delivering in predominately African american neighborhood. Felt a bullseye target was painted on my back. Probably the wrong thing to say here, but it gave me a very faint glimpse of what a black person might feel like walking into white suburbia.
Once you get the feel for the hood, you see the same drunks, gangstas, punks hanging on the same corners, it is a bit more comfortable, but never get comfortable. Never let my guard down. Always kept my eyes moving. Had to have an attitude to protect yourself. Dude would ask for a dollar, my reply got to be "aint got :censored2: for you man" and keep moving. Never show fear although I should have carried extra shorts for all the times I felt like I would crap my pants.
Sad part was, there were hard working people living in these neighborhoods that kept their houses nice but the slumlord neighbor never did squat, therefore, it became crack house. Children getting shot from drivebys because they were riding their bikes like kids should be able to do. Sad. Glad I am out of that job.
And yeah, it doesn't just happen in lower socio-economic, black neighborhoods. Recently had news story about freak woman stealing 7 day old baby and slashing mothers throat to get away. Both are ok after tip led to freak woman's house. This happened in sleepy country town. In white suburbia where I now live, punks do the same disrespectful things but the latest is racing cars on busy streets. No respect for the poor slug driving to his kid's soccer game, just ram his car, kill him and say oh sorry I'm just a punk teenager.
Hate and disrespect permiates every neighborhood, it is just easier to target the black lower-middle class hoods. Here in MO, there are meth labs everywhere. Probably one down the street from me that my kid goes riding by on her bike everyday.
Sorry, went on rant and many tangents. Just one of those days when you watch the news to see if it is going to rain and you hear about all the crap going on in the world. Tomorrow is Saturday, it will be better.
bloody brilliant :thumbup1:

keith lestrange

Just wondering if any of you deliver in Watts, Compton, or any of the sketchy neighborhoods around LA? What kinds of safegards, if any, does the company put into place for you?
hi all
i dont live in usa but del to sume pretty bad areas.
i was picking up at this apt complex and came back to find my truck on bricks!!!!!
the bastards stole my wheels of my new mercedes benz sprinter pkg car (hate them)

helenofcalifornia

Dude, just how long were you in that apartment complex? The guys that stole those tires should be changing tires for NASCAR! I hope you didn't get charged with an accident or something.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Of course the mayor is upset, but it is true. And a link to a local newspaper blog

Youngstown mayor upset about comment by Clarett attorney
13 days ago Youngstown mayor upset about comment by Clarett attorney

Printer Friendly | PDF | Email | digg
The Associated Press
Sep 24, 2006 8:23 PM (13 days ago)
Current rank: Not ranked

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - An attorney for former Ohio State football star Maurice Clarett riled Mayor Jay Williams when he said wearing bullet-resistant vests is a way of life for people living in Clarett's former neighborhood.

The comments from attorney Michael Hoague came after Clarett struck a deal that led to Clarett's guilty pleas last week to charges of aggravated robbery and carrying a concealed weapon.

"If you travel in his neighborhood in Youngstown, you see a lot of people, for whatever reason, wearing their tank tops with their flak vests," Hoague said. "It's a way of life with the people he grew up with."

Authorities said Clarett, 22, was wearing a bulletproof vest when he was arrested on the concealed weapons charge.

Williams responded to Hoague with a letter in which he called the lawyer's comment "lunacy."

"If truth be told, Mr. Hoague, while traveling the neighborhoods of Youngstown (which, unlike you, I do on a daily basis), I cannot remember the last time I've seen anyone wearing a tank top with a flak vest," Williams wrote in the letter, the (Toledo) Blade newspaper reported Saturday.

"Fact: Mr. Clarett is a grown man who must, and apparently has, taken responsibility for his actions, period," Williams wrote. "Fact: No one else is to blame for these actions; not Youngstown, not the people in its neighborhoods."

Clarett pleaded guilty Sept. 18 and was sentenced to 7 1/2 years prison, with the possible release after 3 1/2 years.

Authorities said Clarett flashed a gun and robbed two people of a cell phone early Jan. 1 outside a Columbus bar. The concealed weapon charge was from his Aug. 9 arrest after a highway chase with police who found four loaded guns in the sport utility vehicle he drove.

Vindy.com - Discussion Groups :: Talk of the Valley :: WANTED: Youngstown residents input

B

BLACK BOX

And don't you dare walk on the grass! (Hard for me, I'm from the country where that's what the grass is there for)

Lexus RX330 is the vehicle of choice. You are looked down on if you have a RX300...

You buy a house here for the land. You then tear down the house and erect a mansion...

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT THE WORST NEIGHBORHOODS IN THE COUNTRY, NOT THE DESCRIPTION OF WORKING IN THE "HOLLYWOOD HILLS'" KIND OF AREA, WHERE COPS ACTUALLY RESPOND WHEN YOU CALL.

over9five

Staff member
"...WHERE COPS ACTUALLY RESPOND WHEN YOU CALL."

No one calls the cops here! The police know their job! KEEP THE RIFF-RAFF OUT!

Ok, Ok, I actually SAW a crime being commited in one of the rougher areas on my route (homeowner makes less than 2.5M).
A landscaper relieved himself behind a tree (remember, they aren't allowed in the house). Well, the police showed up (3 cars), and handcuffed him and took him away. I found out later they let him go at the town line.

So as you can see, there is SERIOUS crime on my route.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

And I thought I had a "gravy route". About half my area is around a large private lake. The residents are doctors, lawyers, pilots, car dealers, people like that. It used to blow my mind at first, somebody would buy a mansion on the shore and tear it down to build a bigger one! Lots of beautiful women too. The doctor's wives are very friendly I have noticed, they smile a lot and ask me to come inside for drinks sometimes. So far I have managed to turn them down. They don't tip at Christmas at all though. One time I found a one year old kid crawling down the street so I stopped the truck and carried him up to the nearest door. This family owns a national fast-food chain. His father reached for his wallet and a brief flash of greed went through my mind. I was just doing the right thing, I would have helped a child in any type of neighborhood. He rewarded me with a free sandwich coupon instead of a C-note!:laugh: