Any Follow ups here on female package handlers?

dudebro

The HR tour woman said something about hiring 7 people a week for that shift and twilight I think. I'm supposed to call today to set up an interview (if the tour didn't scare me away) and the interviews are in 5 days.

The hub doesn't have to be short-staffed. In metropolitan areas, it's normal to have a standing hiring requisition of x people per week because in a hub with 400 people, the annual PT turnover might be 60-70%. People move, they take PT jobs to hold them over until they get FT jobs, they get sick of loading, finish the college semester, whatever. That's 280 people a year, or 6 a week.

And that's HIRING 6 a week, you have to bring in double that amount because you can walk downstairs for a tour with 12 people and after 15 minutes of walking through the hub, you'll have only 7. 5 people will slip out the door unannounced. I never understood that (you knew you were walking into a hub) but it's their choice.

Quite honestly, this an entry level job, so, unless you make crazy statements or slug a fellow tour member, you'll get the job.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
go in there and DEMAND small sort ( very light work )

tell them you'll sue for discrimination if you don't get that job and the hours you want.

and if they look at you funny threaten them with a sexual harassment lawsuit.

you'll fit right in with the new UPS.
You know what? Your ignorance amazes me. I busted my ass for 9 years humping cardboard into PC's to get my easy job in small sort. How long did you work preload again? Then kindly STFU about what you don't know.

Brownies...mmm

Never Underestimate the Power of a Woman
The hub doesn't have to be short-staffed. In metropolitan areas, it's normal to have a standing hiring requisition of x people per week because in a hub with 400 people, the annual PT turnover might be 60-70%. People move, they take PT jobs to hold them over until they get FT jobs, they get sick of loading, finish the college semester, whatever. That's 280 people a year, or 6 a week.

And that's HIRING 6 a week, you have to bring in double that amount because you can walk downstairs for a tour with 12 people and after 15 minutes of walking through the hub, you'll have only 7. 5 people will slip out the door unannounced. I never understood that (you knew you were walking into a hub) but it's their choice.

Quite honestly, this an entry level job, so, unless you make crazy statements or slug a fellow tour member, you'll get the job.

Gotcha, I'm actually in the suburbs. There were at least 4 people in the tour that weren't newbies. I'm guessing may seasonal at some point. Most of them were younger than me. Which i thought might be my disadvantage I'm 30+ only 2 guys looked older than me. Figured the 20+ might be what they were looking for. I'm a very keep it cool kind of person. She pitched the pt sub for the college student & grads (which I am) but I just like to stay in my lane.

Gotcha, I'm actually in the suburbs. There were at least 4 people in the tour that weren't newbies. I'm guessing may seasonal at some point. Most of them were younger than me. Which i thought might be my disadvantage I'm 30+ only 2 guys looked older than me. Figured the 20+ might be what they were looking for. I'm a very keep it cool kind of person. She pitched the pt sub for the college student & grads (which I am) but I just like to stay in my lane.
They would probably rather hire you than some 20 year old kid.

Brownies...mmm

Never Underestimate the Power of a Woman
If hired I'll take it day by day. If I survive the first month with my mental and strength not completely disintegrated maybe I'll have a chance. I'm going in expecting the worst but giving my best.

It definitely hot as H in there but doable. I know I'll probably have my A handed to me a million times. But I'm ready for it lol

dudebro

It's intensely physical, is all. I don't think you'll have your A handed to you as long as you can handle the physically. Pay close attention to the safety methods, especially in regards to lifting and lowering. Use them every time, EVEN WHEN YOU'RE TIRED. You'll perform those motions thousands of times. Unless you're already teaching P90X classes, your muscles are going to hurt the first 3 weeks.
After that, your body will be accustomed to the routine, do the job to the best of your ability using the methods and NORMAL effort, and you'll be fine.