Any FT ever been layoff?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by barrycold, Jul 7, 2008.

1. barrycold

barrycold New Member

Any FT combo job ever been layoff? If so what is the process like?

2. daiku

daiku New Member

Interesting question. I'll only answer as if this question was a driver full time, but it should be the same for combo people.
    I assume you can be laid off. Understand that they can keep laying you off for 4 days and call you on the 5th......YOU need 5 continuous lay off days to then "bump" 2 lower seniority part timers. I would ask to NOT be called in so I could qualify for the 5 days... And if they do call you on the 4th or 5th day...Don't answer the phone....
    Again talk with your Steward or leave a message with your business agent.

3. New Englander

New Englander New Member

Hmm....we can bump on our first day of layoff.

4. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

NE is right. We have a driver who has been working the metro on Mondays as his run has been cut for the past 2 months or so every Monday. I don't think he bumps anyone, though--they are simply letting him get his hours by helping on the inside.

5. Baba gounj

Baba gounj pensioner

I would welcome some down time.:happy-very:
    a few months ago when the rumors started about possible layoffs I spoke to a trustee & mentioned that I would volunteer to be laid off.

6. trplnkl

trplnkl 555

With all the O/9.5s we've been working, I wouldn't mind just working a 4 day week. I sure could get a lot of work done at the homestead.

7. New Englander

New Englander New Member

What Ive asked and been told is that layoffs start at the bottom and go up. If you have enough seniority to not be on layoff - your working unless you want to burn an optional/sick or take an unpaid day.

You can't bump a layoff back to package and take his preload/local sort hours etc.....

8. barrycold

barrycold New Member

You can only bump a low seniority 22.3 person out of his job IF you want the job. I got layoff and they gave me 2 options. Go back to PT or bump the air driver and take a pay cut. I went back to part time

9. brownrodster

brownrodster New Member

a 4 day work week would be a dream. I already have about 10 hours of overtime this week and it's only wednesday...