any HD or Ground temp drivers in your terminal already?

HomeDelivery

I've seen a handful at mine already.

I'm signing up to be a temp driver as well, so I can get paid by the hour just like EXPRESS!

However, they're dragging their feet to re-instate me back into the temp agency (RandStad) & will probably do so until November...

I already stated that I'm already trained and experienced with their dolphin9501.jpg portable scanner & all they have to do is sign me up and re-activate my randstad status... without any further training.

I'll probably apply to 2 different terminals and see who picks me first.

Have a good peak season this year & hope we don't get a blizzard storm for the 3rd time in a row :peaceful:
dolphin9501.jpg

HomeDelivery

I'm still with other contractors... as a cover / relief driver and on Saturdays only for now.

but, i'm going to get paid by the hour (2 of those contractors have offered to match it now; but I told them about the temp agency paying OT and bonus pay for not getting into an accident during Nov-Dec... i recommend that they look at the other temps and see who's willing to get paid by the stop).

Doh, I forgot only a few people here that's "pseudo-FedEx"

SmithBarney

Not sure if all of ground has the new rollout, but the new PPAD is the same for Express and ground(the software is different, but the hardware is now the same) making it easier to potentially make the transition...

bbsam

Staff member
Not sure if all of ground has the new rollout, but the new PPAD is the same for Express and ground(the software is different, but the hardware is now the same) making it easier to potentially make the transition...
those are the old scanners we just got rid of two months ago.

HomeDelivery

apparently HD will use these older models until after Peak in the 2 hubs that I'll be working in.

... the good news is we'll have an abundance of batteries and backup scanners now (I always carry 2 batteries in my package car anyways & rotate them so I'll have a "freshly charged" battery as a backup in case my scanner suddenly dies on the road)

HomeDelivery

depends on what you like to deliver to...

Ground has bigger vehicles to drive around & is closer to UPS operations than Home Delivery. they have a "tighter area" and you go in circles within a selected city doing pickups/ dropoffs to mainly business addresses & more backing into docks...

I don't like ground that much because your straight truck is packed by pre-loaders for you & you don't have a set list of every package/address on your truck when you come in. Plus you have deadlines to do your pickups before they close for the day. More volume to deal with & more chaotic than HD

I hated driving to residential suburban neighborhoods in a 24' straight van, so I stuck with HD instead.

There, you'll walk in to your pile of boxes & will have to load them in sequential order.
With the temp agency, they'll pay you by the hour; but with a contractor, you won't get paid for doing this part of the job. The main plus of this is that you'll know EVERY package that is going into your package van for the day & will get a printout of every single parcel that you scanned and labeled on your vehicle as well as a map that connects-the-dots for you. Heck, the vehicle routing program will also print out a turn-by-turn list to go from one stop to the next.

As a temp in either case, they'll start you off with less stops than the average driver & if you are a good worker, they'll give you more or give you the areas that are further from the hub/terminal (=more hours & more pay with the temp agency)

------------------------
as peak ends, though, so is this job unless you prove that you have what it takes to be productive and can handle a high workload daily. That's why I suggested staying on the Brown side on your other thread you made. Because once you made a shift from getting paid per hour to getting a flat salary or pay per stop, you're going to regret it...

depends on what you like to deliver to...

Ground has bigger vehicles to drive around & is closer to UPS operations than Home Delivery. they have a "tighter area" and you go in circles within a selected city doing pickups/ dropoffs to mainly business addresses & more backing into docks...

I don't like ground that much because your straight truck is packed by pre-loaders for you & you don't have a set list of every package/address on your truck when you come in. Plus you have deadlines to do your pickups before they close for the day. More volume to deal with & more chaotic than HD

I hated driving to residential suburban neighborhoods in a 24' straight van, so I stuck with HD instead.

There, you'll walk in to your pile of boxes & will have to load them in sequential order.
With the temp agency, they'll pay you by the hour; but with a contractor, you won't get paid for doing this part of the job. The main plus of this is that you'll know EVERY package that is going into your package van for the day & will get a printout of every single parcel that you scanned and labeled on your vehicle as well as a map that connects-the-dots for you. Heck, the vehicle routing program will also print out a turn-by-turn list to go from one stop to the next.

As a temp in either case, they'll start you off with less stops than the average driver & if you are a good worker, they'll give you more or give you the areas that are further from the hub/terminal (=more hours & more pay with the temp agency)

------------------------
as peak ends, though, so is this job unless you prove that you have what it takes to be productive and can handle a high workload daily. That's why I suggested staying on the Brown side on your other thread you made. Because once you made a shift from getting paid per hour to getting a flat salary or pay per stop, you're going to regret it...

2 thumbs up....sounds like home delivery it is...i believe kelly staffing has the gig in stamford ct.

i got the call for my UPS drivers test. 10am tomorrow.

is there any benefit working for ups besides possibly being retained for FT work?,..which i don't want...after the union takes it's cut every week the pay is the same at fedEX home delivery. i am really down on UPS and I don't want to even work there. seems like this company is stuck in the 1960's ,,and works you like a dog w/ strict guidlines caring nothing about you, or your safety, but only the stupid rules in place

i remember a little over 10 years ago I worked as a drivers helper. the big thing going around is that everyone had to wear brown shoes. i remember when i went down to the terminal...all i saw was a bunch of people wearing non polishable brushed leather timberlands that had shoe polish on them..lol...and if they didn't have shoe polish on them they had some crappy shoe paste/dye that looked like it was put on w/ a magic marker.......it was lol

isn't fedex home delivery a less stress and easier job?

Last edited:

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Poopy.
It sure seems to me from your posts that you're really not interested in working at all.
Why not just stay home and us hard working tax payers will take care of you.

monkey,....were you one of those people putting polish on timberlands......lol

what i'm not interested in is working like slave,..and having somebody pick pocket me to the tune of 100 per week.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I, too, used to make double what I'm making now.
I gave up a very stressful job for one that I look forward to doing but, I'm not looking to get paid to drag my feet either. And, we're both about the same age.

Where are you getting this $100/week figure?

initiation in Norwalk, CT UPS.... is $1000.oo......they said they will take it out in $100.oo increments weekly...dunno what teamsters this is.......and i might also have to pay dues in addition to the initiation...

imagine only working 3/4 days and getting fkd...two big thumbs down to the brotherhood of imbeciles.

HomeDelivery

waitamin,

they want to take fees from the start??? that doesn't seem right...

maybe make a new thread in the UPS discussion section about that to be sure others are getting hosed like this in that state:knockedout:

weird that they also wanted you to shave your goatee as well.

I'm still waiting on getting hired as a temp driver, but in the meantime, I'm working Saturdays only for a contractor... doing the same job but not getting paid by the hour; it's getting old and i'll probably go to another hub that will hire me as soon as Nov 1st.

keep on looking; before you know it, peak ends and you're back out on unemployment

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

initiation in Norwalk, CT UPS.... is $1000.oo......they said they will take it out in $100.oo increments weekly...dunno what teamsters this is.......and i might also have to pay dues in addition to the initiation...

imagine only working 3/4 days and getting fkd...two big thumbs down to the brotherhood of imbeciles.

There are some drivers here from CT so hopefully they will have the answers for your questions.

jmoser74

I am brand new to this forum but it seems to me that there is a large cross section of UPS and FEDEX here, so let me ask a general question of the group if I may?! I was currently hired by FEDEX as a Ground delivery driver thru a temp agency and was told from the contractor at FEDEX that it was not a seasonal job. Is this now the way in which FEDEX finds it's new drivers? I was an Over The Road Trucker for years prior to this Career change. Please advise... All comments are respected.

HomeDelivery

through the temp agency = a seasonal job

when you're proven to be productive, that's when a contractor will approach you and try to hire you under their "contractor's company"

it won't be getting paid by the hour/ OverTime, and not many will give you paid vacation/ sick days/ not much of benefits either... bbsam is a resident-contractor on this site & he can fill you in on the Ground side.

BUT, if you still have your CDL, i'd keep looking elsewhere since the pay isn't that great as a package car courier of this branch of FedEX