any HD or Ground temp drivers in your terminal already?

jmoser74

Thank you Home. That seems to clear up a little of the conflict. Yeah I still have my CDL but the idea of going back over the road is not a good one. A wife and 2 children make the OTR deal a bad one. I owned my own truck for a good while and made great money but the sacrife was never worth it on the family front. I can only pray that this will turn into a real job. As for the benefits i have not had any in years so no real big deal on that front... Thank you again!!!

HomeDelivery

no prob, Mr. Moser...

Ground usually ends earlier than Home Delivery since 80-90% of their packages are b2b and those businesses close early for the most part... and with temps, I doubt they want you guys out there past 8 hours anyways

but, with peak, expect to be detached from your family during December when you'll be out there for up to 12-14 hours a day and sometimes on Saturdays (depending on the volume).

at the same time period, Home Delivery will also be working 6 days a week from Mondays to Saturdays & I'll also will not see my kids awake when I return home late on a daily basis. It's only after New years will volume drop back down & you'll either be hired with a contractor or let go.

If you are let go, I suggest going into UPS the next peak season as they seem to be getting paid better hourly rates
or keep looking for a local job that will utilize your CDL & drive locally instead of OTR.

Stay SAFE out there & good luck!

golfgod00

well working for a temp agency doesnt always mean its seasonal, if the terminal needs packages delivered your safe and usually doesnt take long before a contractor picks you up, at least here thats how it works...........ive worked home and ground.........and home is alot better.........Ground sucks!

HomeDelivery

agrees... i've worked as an hourly temp during peak & with contractors during the rest of the year...

here's my scenario as of yesterday:

18 stops total...

1.5 hour to go get a rental cargo van, fuel it up, get supplies, scan/load, get manifest/turn-by-turns,etc

1.5 hour drive to the first stop

2 hours of delivery time (this was a training run w/ a new hire... i'm making sure he follows the methods and learning the scanner)

1.5 hour drive back to the terminal.

now, if i was working under a contractor, i wouldn't even have $20 in my pocket after taxes... but with the temp agency, i'll have a better paycheck for this light day