Any helpers working Dec. 29-31?

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
If the helper is off the street then probably won't work. If the helper is from the inside the helper might possibly work. Now, with the new contract UPS will probably break routes and run helpers to the 15th of January.

That won't apply here very few of the insiders work as helpers from what the driver told me. What about any drivers taking vacation time and another driver ends up doing two routes. I helped one driver last year in January with two routes. We were out there quite late.

UPSGUY72

Will there be any helpers working Dec. 29th through 31st? Just wondering if I have a chance to work some more days. The driver I was with will not need me.

Not in my area helper only can be used form Monday the week prior to thanksgiving to Dec 25. Casual / seasonal drivers can be kept on till the second week in January.

UPSGUY72

Here this year UPS said until Dec. 31st.

Is there language in your rider / supplement if there is then UPS just can't change it they have to get approval from the local first. There are reason for limits on Helpers and casuals / seasonal workers. The less time helpers and seasonal and casuals can work could mean that UPS needs to hire more FT drivers.

GillEagan

Is there language in your rider / supplement if there is then UPS just can't change it they have to get approval from the local first. There are reason for limits on Helpers and casuals / seasonal workers. The less time helpers and seasonal and casuals can work could mean that UPS needs to hire more FT drivers.

Couldn't tell you. I don't have access to stuff like that. All I know is that helpers obviously won't work past the 31st.

GillEagan

Couldn't tell you. I don't have access to stuff like that. All I know is that helpers obviously won't work past the 31st.

If it helps, I'm not covered by the Teamsters either. I don't pay for initiation fees and stuff like that.

bumped

That won't apply here very few of the insiders work as helpers from what the driver told me. What about any drivers taking vacation time and another driver ends up doing two routes. I helped one driver last year in January with two routes. We were out there quite late.

New contract. This is the first after Christmas since the contract has been ratified. Think November rules.

DOK

New contract. This is the first after Christmas since the contract has been ratified. Think November rules.

I thought new contract states they ups can use helpers until the 3rd full week in January? I expect routes to be cut and everyone has a helper?

ManInBrown

Possibility. We were told to let our helpers know on Christmas Eve that they would be off on Friday Dec 26th and they would be contacted Monday Dec 29th about working going forward. I wouldn't be surprised if only limited helpers are used on certain routes.

UPSGUY72

The rules for using helper is in your local supplement / rider section. In the New England supplement it is on Page 224 Article 67, Section 5.