Any Hubs to Close?

mrv

Once Worldport is at full capacity there will be no need for regional air hubs like RFD, DFW, CAE .....

airbusfxr

The airline will operate like 1984, all planes from gateways fly to SDF, sort and fly back to terminating gateways. The NDA will be the only pkg option but it will save money and make UPS more operational leaner.

Buffaloaf

So are there any legit rumors circulating about RFD closing, or just one from a pilot? It seems that the RFD night sort has been quite a bit busier lately (about 10% more volume than the past couple months) and it is located in such a convenient area for LOUKY that it seems strange that it would go down. It is actually cheaper to service the west coast from RFD than it is from LOUKY. It seems to me that the RFD night sort would be the last to go before everything gets sucked up into LOUKY. Correct me if I'm way off here..

UPS Guy 2

RFD Twi and Preload volume is down night sort averaging around 100K night still hearing rumblings about shutting down by Sept which I don't see how they could do that that quick....

Buffaloaf

RFD Twi and Preload volume is down night sort averaging around 100K night still hearing rumblings about shutting down by Sept which I don't see how they could do that that quick....

Right, but volume numbers are down nationwide with the exception of LOUKY. One thing to consider with shutting down RFD night is that that sort is the primary contingency plan for if something crazy happens at LOUKY and they need to divert. It is pretty much right in the middle of the country and straight north of it. It can process international packages (not sure how many of the other night sorts can) as well. Also, if you look up in SEAS, the RFD night sort has the best missort frequency for NDA sorts -- and it isn't really close. I don't really see what would keep a place like Denver or PHL open over a place like RFD. What is it that I'm missing?

jedispork

RFD also has a major air cargo building and the preload delivers to many nearby towns. Its in the middle of everything. Worldport can't handle all the volume can they? Who will deliver the local packages? We still handle around 20 aircraft a night at rfd and send a plane out to anchorage.

Are their plans to keep the preload open? So curious as to what would happen with my full time job. I have 10 years in now and 8 full time but not sure if thats enough to hold me a place on preload (which is where I started)

I think its a bs rumor but you never can be to sure. Getting tired of ups anyway.
RFD is the second largest city in IL not sure they could just dump the volume on another preload.

pullman

The Rockford, IL hub will not close! Downsize maybe, but not close. UPS has invested to much time and money to completely close RFD. This is a rumor started by a troll that was either 1... Terminated 2... Layed off or 3... Disgruntled! Not everything on the internet is true! Happy 4th of July!!!!!!!!!!!

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
The Rockford, IL hub will not close! Downsize maybe, but not close. UPS has invested to much time and money to completely close RFD. This is a rumor started by a troll that was either 1... Terminated 2... Layed off or 3... Disgruntled! Not everything on the internet is true! Happy 4th of July!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to BC. When you make these pages so WIDE it makes them a pain to read.:peaceful:

Dman82

I figured as much. Rumors will be rumors.

I hope everyone had a good 4th? These next couple of months are going to be pretty rough for UPS until we get to October.

Oh and another thing about the RFD closure rumor. If they planed to close RFD, why wouldn't they close it in the summer and not 2 months before the start of Peak season? Therefore it is very easy to say that is was in fact a rumor stated earlier above this post.

Rumors of closings don't bring any good to anyone.

UPS Guy 2

Sounds like fear talking there Dman....RFD people have heard rumors of closing in October were hearing you guys might close in 2010 right after peak...makes a little bit more sense.

Buffaloaf

UPS_Guy 2 -- Are you referring to the Rockford Night Sort or the Twilight Sort? The only sort at RFD that I have heard might be closing is the Twilight Sort. Everything else I have heard is that the Night Sort is safe because it is the Contingency for LOUKY. Even if LOUKY could handle allt he airs, you still need an operating hub that is a contingency for an emergency.

Also, you were originally saying that RFD was going to close in September...and now you are saying after peak. After peak at least makes a little sense; however, if the economy begins to upswing in early 2010, I don't think it would make sense to close down RFD because you would probably have to reopen it again soon -- you do know that UPS has a 90 year lease with the Rockford Airport...I doubt they would leave Rockford all together with roughly 76 years left on the contract that they have paid for.

Dman82

Sounds like fear talking there Dman....RFD people have heard rumors of closing in October were hearing you guys might close in 2010 right after peak...makes a little bit more sense.
No, it's not fear since you can't keep the rumors you spread straight and you have no credible sources to back yourself up.

So I know that you're just talking out of your ass.

Dman82

my dates have been the same from the beginning and it's still what i'm hearing. my personal opinion is yes twi sort closes night stays open and friend/t that work twi/night move to either night/preload, night/am ramp or twi air cargo/night sort
And just where are you getting this "information" from?

You still have not yet provided credible sources to your information.

Buffaloaf

See, this makes a huge difference. The RFD night sort employs upwards around 600 - 700 people, the twilight sort employs roughly 70 (management included for these projections). So, getting on here and saying "Rockford is closing down" is far different from saying "Rockford twilight will be shutdown"

UPS Guy 2

See, this makes a huge difference. The RFD night sort employs upwards around 600 - 700 people, the twilight sort employs roughly 70 (management included for these projections). So, getting on here and saying "Rockford is closing down" is far different from saying "Rockford twilight will be shutdown"
dude what I'm hearing and my opinion are 2 totally different things. yes i've heard from 2 well respected people that RFD UPS was going to shut down 1st from a Operations & Facilities employee of the Rockford Airport and 2nd from a employee at Crystal Lake. Do I believe they will shut down no.