Any Hubs to Close?

Red Dawn

It is rumored that the DFW air sort will be closing the day shift within a year. When that happens, there will be Sunrise and Twilight. The hub will run two large shifts. So, the sunrise shift will look more like twighlight in terms of total volume count.
from what i have heard is that the day side is still on table to get rid of it because of week end vol. is light (covering old night vol.) during week vol is to high to push it anywhere. the twl has been working long hours since night sort left..word is that night sort coming back..as a "relief sort" to keep combo's from coming back 80+ they are still not letting and combo displace pters on noonday...well all rumors have and still say sep. we will find out whats going to happen

Red Dawn

This is good to hear. Most likely they will probably only bring the DFW night sort back for peak, but I'm sure that closing Columbia and DFW was corporate's way of seeing how it impacts the other night sorts -- most particularly SDF. I think that if they reopen DFW, it could indicate that they plan on keeping at least a few of the other night sorts open once SDF's expansion is in full swing. Just because you can sort 500,000 pieces per hour doesn't mean that you want to always be sorting at that capacity -- then you're screwed for peak and have to open up other hubs temporarily (4 months out of the year). By running at max capacity and then opening up temp. hubs, you are going to have increased service failures and damages. Just my take on it -- maybe sounds too optimistic because I don't want my night hub to close, but I think it makes sense...comments?
that was one of the rumors was that they would bring back night sort just for peak and then go back to lay offs. i have heard from mg and some feeder drivers is that Louisville is having trouble w making service(not production ) i guess little delays add up when every thing is being sent to one hub. This is what fedex does..but i guess we will see in sep.

Red Dawn

one more thing is the twl ramp is going to hire 6 more in next 2weeks. after night sort closed in feb. and combos went to twl. mg. didn't lay off anyone just made room. mg always said they have to many people and not enough work but didn't lay off anyone or put them in hub that has been working 4-5hr daily w/ high turn over. when i asked why are we hiring more they just say we lost a couple of people. haven't seen but one quit. this could be because night sort is coming back or that company can only dead lock noonday issue one more time before a mediator steps in and article 48 has clear langue regarding layoffs.

msuspar2003

DFW isn't going to bring back the night sort. The talks about closing the Day sort keep getting stronger and stronger. So that will most likely happen within the year now. Sunrise will turn into a Twilight type of sort making 2 big sorts for the DFW hub. But was told the decision to close the sort was suppose to be made right after peak. That has yet to happen so who knows.

airbusfxr

Maintenance hangers? How many gateways does UPS have and all mechanical work is performed outside no matter what the weather.
Fact is there is only one hanger. Mechanics work outside everywhere from ANC to MIA to BOS to ONT. No matter what, we use the one hanger very little due to service commitments. Sounds crazy, it is. The DFW gateway is going to shrink, RFD was set to close up but the Governor of Il, threw a big tax break at UPS and now all RFD action is subsidized by our taxes. PHL is being scaled back and flights are being routed to Worldport. MIA cutting South American routes consolitating volume that will flow though IAH. Gateways are going to be reduced, people are going to lose jobs.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Fact is there is only one hanger. Mechanics work outside everywhere from ANC to MIA to BOS to ONT. No matter what, we use the one hanger very little due to service commitments. Sounds crazy, it is. The DFW gateway is going to shrink, RFD was set to close up but the Governor of Il, threw a big tax break at UPS and now all RFD action is subsidized by our taxes. PHL is being scaled back and flights are being routed to Worldport. MIA cutting South American routes consolitating volume that will flow though IAH. Gateways are going to be reduced, people are going to lose jobs.

The tax incentives you speak of at Rockford are not uncommon. In New York we have areas that are called Empire Zones and businesses that set up shop there are offered tax incentives to do so.

I thought Phillly was being scaled back because they wanted to add a runway?

To put it bluntly, if the volume does not support keeping all of these gateways open, then closing and consolidating would make sense IMO. Yes, people could lose their jobs, and for that I am truly sorry, but restructuring means sacrifices must be made.

This is not your old UPS anymore.

p228

I thought Phillly was being scaled back because they wanted to add a runway?

No, like airbusfxr said, we lost several aircraft to LOUKY. The proverbial straw that broke the camels back was the loss of the Florida flight. That resulted in cutting an entire Secondary. Add in the previous flights we lost and the volume didn't justify the size of the workforce.

As for the new runway, I'll be surprised if they ever build that. It is a seemingly never ending court battle over seizing about 80 homes and businesses under eminent domain.

Buffaloaf

Actually, the RFD / IL "UPS Tax Break" was a campaign year hoax. The state of IL and UPS have been making deals like these every year for the past decade. The only difference this time is that it was signed for 10 years so that way the gov. could stamp his name on it, hold a press conference, and say, "look how we are keeping jobs in the state." The reality is that these jobs were not going anywhere (this year) and that much was made of nothing with these tax breaks because they are nothing new.

Red Dawn

DFW isn't going to bring back the night sort. The talks about closing the Day sort keep getting stronger and stronger. So that will most likely happen within the year now. Sunrise will turn into a Twilight type of sort making 2 big sorts for the DFW hub. But was told the decision to close the sort was suppose to be made right after peak. That has yet to happen so who knows.

I agree, their is change coming this march. I guess we will see what it is.