Any insight in Dallas backlog?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Right cause most of the drivers I know would run into downed trees, power lines and other potential obstacles without those extra eyes...

Are you being obtuse on purpose? It is not easy to both concentrate on an ice-covered/rutted road AND look for downed trees/power lines and other potential obstacles at the same time.

upload_2013-12-14_10-55-7.jpeg

numberonedriver

Why? All expenses paid trip to Dallas to help them get caught up? I would think that he would be helping one of their drivers rather than driving on his own. No responsibilities other than just delivering packages.

We had an Ice Storm in 1998. They sent supervisors from Albany to help out---the sups would ride with one of us as they wanted two sets of eyes on the car to look for downed trees, power lines and other potential obstacles while still keeping their eyes on the road.
I don't know why that's just what I heard I think he used to live there so he has area knowledge. I don't know how you guys drive in ice and snow. I was on a road yesterday down in a canyon I guess there was ice on the road case as I was coming around a curve I started to slide off the road. Scared the he'll out of me. My hats off to all you guys that have to deal with that everyday.

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
They sent 10 Non-Operations Sups from the Mid Atlantic just to work in the hub in Dallas area for the weekend. The effort is underway to fix the backlog.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Why? All expenses paid trip to Dallas to help them get caught up? I would think that he would be helping one of their drivers rather than driving on his own. No responsibilities other than just delivering packages.

We had an Ice Storm in 1998. They sent supervisors from Albany to help out---the sups would ride with one of us as they wanted two sets of eyes on the car to look for downed trees, power lines and other potential obstacles while still keeping their eyes on the road.

Haha. Good thing this company runs itself. Dumbasses.

Let's see. I'm an Upstate NY driver with plenty of safe driving service. We get an ice storm, so UPS brainstorms, and comes up with the idea to give me an extra set of eyes.

Can you say, too many chiefs and not enough Indians?

FreeLunch

Well after reading other social media, I have a pretty good idea what is going on. Ups is processing all new shipments with first priority since if they didn't then they would owe money back to people for not meeting deadlines. Whereas all the stuff that was back logged during the storm is just sitting in limbo. Ups can let that sit since they can blame it on Mother Nature. When ups finally picked up my package the roads were fine. School was in session. Ups instead of doing the right thing and processing the back log of packages is trying to not lose money. I've had several packages by ups delivered after the one package that I really care about is stuck. One of them with the same routing but shipped a day later.

Shame on UPS.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager

I know some that were sent and they're delivering by themselves in the blind for 14 hours a day. Sometimes they work together because two in the blind are better than one. Far from a vacation. Hope they're keeping track of their DOT hours.

Dracula

I know some that were sent and they're delivering by themselves in the blind for 14 hours a day. Sometimes they work together because two in the blind are better than one. Far from a vacation. Hope they're keeping track of their DOT hours.

Sounds like a typical cover driver, except they don't get a "Good job!" at the end of the day, and oh yeah, they do it by themselves.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sounds like a typical cover driver, except they don't get a "Good job!" at the end of the day, and oh yeah, they do it by themselves.

The only difference being the cover driver actually lives in the area that they are struggling to get through. Imagine being dropped off in a city the size of Dallas with absolutely no area knowledge.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
The only difference being the cover driver actually lives in the area that they are struggling to get through. Imagine being dropped off in a city the size of Dallas with absolutely no area knowledge.

I live in a major metropolitan area and work in one of UPS's larger facilities. When I did seasonal driving, I was assigned to a center covering area I've never been to and have never been to since. Might as well sent me to Dallas.

Dracula

Not my problem.

No area knowledge? You're kidding, right? Any halfway intelligent human being can look at a map, find an interstate route and get into an approximate area. Once they do that, they are NO different from any other cover driver running a route cold.

As I have been told by management, many, many times when I complain about something, "You are a professional and are paid as such. Now get to work!"

They're professional managers and tell us all of the time that they know our jobs frontwards and back. Now they can show us.

Make sure you fellas walk on the balls of your feet in that ice. You certainly wouldn't want to be told that your injury was your fault, would you?

Better a city the size of Dallas than the desert southwest or some similar desolate area the size of Dallas.

Can't ask a cactus where you're at.

Feeders101

The Dallas Hub and the whole metroplex hubs are a complete cluster. We shut down friday only because we had no power to the building. Our biggest problem is the new million square foot Amazon warehouse that just went live. I guess that wasn't in their peak plan. smh They are running those Amazon loads first and foremost and catch up on everything later. They had to rent two lots down the street just to put loads on. We probably have 200+ loads sitting at 3 rail yards. We have no empty's to do CPU runs. Been using Swift 53' for CPU's or rail trailers. You can't drop a trailer on the yard. We've been dropping them in front of outbound doors, until they start moving some of these to the other lot. I pulled a night load back from the rail yard Tuesday, it was still sitting on the same pad Friday when I left. Last I heard we have a 1,000 loads sitting in the Metroplex (6 hubs). I think we have more contractors on the yard than we do feeder drivers at this point. Next week should be interesting......