Any Law Can Ultimately Kill

wkmac

I've made this same point before as this Yale Law Professor does and mostly to howls, wailing and gnashing of teeth. And the response is typically bi-partisan too which further supports another claim I make that there is little too no difference between the 2 political narratives that control political power.

"Many people in the world want everyone who lives differently from themselves to be punished." --Hugh and Gayle Prather

Law Puts Us All in Same Danger as Eric Garner

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
........He didn't die for selling loose cigarettes, he died because he didn't WANT to be arrested and was resisting.

Good riddance, we don't need idiots walking around defying the police just because

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You make my point.
Apples to oranges.

The Redcoats opened fire with live ammo, whereas the police who arrested Eric Garner never intended to kill him.

They were effecting a lawful arrest, he chose to resist that arrest, so they had to use force. The result was out of all proportion to the intent, an accident happened, and the man died. It was tragic and horrible but it wasn't premeditated on the part of the cops.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Apples to oranges.

The Redcoats opened fire with live ammo, whereas the police who arrested Eric Garner never intended to kill him.

They were effecting a lawful arrest, he chose to resist that arrest, so they had to use force. The result was out of all proportion to the intent, an accident happened, and the man died. It was tragic and horrible but it wasn't premeditated on the part of the cops.
Mr. Garner couldn't walk a half of a block without stopping to breathe .
His physical health was already very poor .

soberups

More apples to oranges.

The Roman Legionnaires, as well as the Redcoats in Boston, were the soldiers of an absolute, unelected, tyrannical monarch. The NYPD are a duly sworn police force under civilian command.

The laws that were broken by both the Tea Party activists in Boston and Jesus Christ were created by an absolute, unelected, tyrannical monarch. The laws that were broken by Eric Garner were written by the duly elected representatives of the State of New York and signed into law by the duly elected Governor.

The Roman Legionnaires intended to kill Jesus. The Redcoats intended to kill the rebels in Boston. The NYPD did not intend to kill Eric Garner. His death was an accident, brought about at least in part by his decision to resist lawful arrest.

New Yorkers have no one but themselves to blame for the ridiculous taxes they pay on items such as cigarettes. They have the government they elected and if they dislike the laws that have been passed, they...unlike the Tea Party or the citizens of Jerusalem.... are free to vote for new leadership.

bbsam

Staff member
Apples to oranges.

Arrest for selling cigarettes unlawfully? Why not write him a ticket and be done with it?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I've had encounters with the Po-lice, and while I may have been kind of a weenie to them, I was never a :censored2:, and as such have never been arrested, tased, beat down, or shot.

You can question/resist the police if they're abusing their power. If they are acting within their job duties however, then shutup, comply, and everybody goes away happy

soberups

Arrest for selling cigarettes unlawfully? Why not write him a ticket and be done with it?
Because he was already out on bail for several other crimes that he had been charged with, and he had a lengthy arrest record (30 times since 1980) for crimes including assault, grand larceny and resisting arrest.

I'm not saying he deserved to die. I'm not even saying he was a bad person. He just made a lot of bad choices, and the last one he made (resisting arrest) is the one that caused his death. The police did not intend to kill him, only to take him into custody. His choice to resist, coupled with his obesity and other health problems, is probably what killed him. He had been arrested many times before and he knew the drill; had he simply placed his hands behind his back and cooperated, he would have been taken to jail and probably let out again within a few hours. It is also worth noting that the police who arrested him were being directly supervised at the scene by an African American female patrol sergeant , so this was not a case of a bunch of mean white racist cops beating up on a poor innocent black guy.

bbsam

Staff member
Oh, stop. You may as well have said that his lengthy arrest record made him an easy target for a police force with nothing better to do. "Stop and frisk" is even easier when the cops train their focus on a very small subset of individuals. Even makes people think it works.

bbsam

Staff member
I've had encounters with the Po-lice, and while I may have been kind of a weenie to them, I was never a :censored2:, and as such have never been arrested, tased, beat down, or shot.

You can question/resist the police if they're abusing their power. If they are acting within their job duties however, then shutup, comply, and everybody goes away happy
Last run in with the law I had was last year,.8:30 pm when a county mount stopped by to ask what I was doing in a white van in rural western Illinois. Seems the Fedex on the back of my coat didn't dive it away. Nor dI'd my explanation to the lady who came out of the house. When you're a 6'2" black man in rural Illinois, that's suspicious no matter any other explanation.

trickpony1

Oh stop. His lengthy arrest record indicates to any reasonable individual that he hasn't learned from past mistakes and will probably continue.

My zero arrest record doesn't indicate any past problems or future prospects.

bbsam

Staff member
Oh stop. His lengthy arrest record indicates to any reasonable individual that he hasn't learned from past mistakes and will probably continue.

My zero arrest record doesn't indicate any past problems or future prospects.
Maybe. Then again, if looked closely enough....

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Last run in with the law I had was last year,.8:30 pm when a county mount stopped by to ask what I was doing in a white van in rural western Illinois. Seems the Fedex on the back of my coat didn't dive it away. Nor dI'd my explanation to the lady who came out of the house. When you're a 6'2" black man in rural Illinois, that's suspicious no matter any other explanation.

Did they beat the crap out of you for no reason? If they didn't, then that proves that the cops aren't out just to beat up black men.

It's equally suspicious if, as a 6'4" white guy I'm in the middle of Baltimore city in my wife's Honda coupe driving around aimlessly (we were actually lost). When we approached the cops, we were so out of place they knew what was going on.

White folks down there are either getting paid (cops), getting drugs (rode in from the suburbs), OR lost.

Profiling is accurate, like it or not. Asians are smart, white people are uptight, black people love their high end cars.

Stereotypical, yes. Accurate? Also Yes