Any lay off's where you are at

ups clerk

We had our day sort closed in my hub, so the company claims they are over staffed due to people transferring from day sort to other sorts. What the supervisors are doing is asking people if they want a scheduled day off... the day before or ask them if they want to go home when they arrive.
The problem I have with this is that Art 22 people are also taking off. It is because of thes idiots that we didn't get an additonal 10,000 jobs on this last contract. The company felt, hey if the present art 22 people aren't doing their job because they would rather go home, why should we offer another 10,000 jobs.
And they were right but unfortunately they ruined it for people who really did want a full time job.:angry:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We had our day sort closed in my hub, so the company claims they are over staffed due to people transferring from day sort to other sorts. What the supervisors are doing is asking people if they want a scheduled day off... the day before or ask them if they want to go home when they arrive.
The problem I have with this is that Art 22 people are also taking off. It is because of thes idiots that we didn't get an additonal 10,000 jobs on this last contract. The company felt, hey if the present art 22 people aren't doing their job because they would rather go home, why should we offer another 10,000 jobs.
And they were right but unfortunately they ruined it for people who really did want a full time job.:angry:

I feel fine that you call us idiots. I go home once in a while, never on the first shift but sometimes the midnight hub sort. You make a fair point - why not take your guarantee hours?

The problem I have is that by saying what you did, you do not see you're also an idiot? The creation of new 22.3 jobs language was not in the new contract. I think JonFrum mentioned that in another thread. Therefore, the current number of jobs is to be maintained( which is not happening) - but no new jobs to be created.

But back to where you made your point - if we 22.3 don't volunteer to go home, someone gets laid off down the line. Bottom line. I'd rather a 32-36 hour check, extra valuable free time PLUS keep someone working - than pushing for 40 and make UPS staff accordingly and lay off even more.

959Nanook

705red posted "We have had lay offs since last march on and off. And again they started 1/4/10, I find it funny that they where laying people off while still using seasonal helpers/drivers and sups to work. Its all been grieved and every lay off that has been deadlocked has an arbitration date set starting at the end of March. We have around 300 22.3s off right now and about 40 jobs not filled according to the contract and untop of it forcing them to work hard/hard."

I (full-time driver) was laid off at the beginning of peak season while seasonal helpers/drivers were working and again in January while seasonal helpers were working. Company says "They are a different classification than you" and the Union fell in lock step.

Last edited:

959Nanook

Layoffs & Reduction of staff ( Return Clerks ) At 43rd St Building NYC
They have started laying off clerks at 43rd st. These clerks are all full time 804 members and are being sent to the preload with only 4 1/2 Hrs work. no more 8 hrs !!! How can they just make a full timer part time ? These clerks have between 15 and 20 yrs seniorty:angry:

Personally, I would rather get scheduled for a part-time shift in lieu of the "unscheduled" lay offs that I get.