Any Nissan Leaf owners? "on topic"

djkre8r

I just had a friend lease a Nissan Leaf. After looking at the savings it looks like a good deal. My question is about charging it while at work. Did I read somewhere that GA Power was working with companies like UPS and others to install charging stations for employees who decide to go green? If so, this would save even more money. Charge it at work instead of at home! I commute about 25-30 miles round trip each day. At 85 miles per charge - I could save a lot on gas each year.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I know several UPSers and others that have bought the leaf.
They like the car a lot and are experiencing considerable savings.
They all charge at home except one lady who works at Ga Power and she charges at both places ... she's a bit paranoid.
I have not heard of UPS actually installing the charge station although I have heard it discussed.

djkre8r

Thank you Photog. My friend works near the local GA Power office and they have a charging station installed. He uses it often.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
There's a shopping mall in my area that has charging stations, hopefully it's the start of a trend.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The question is will the electric motor last a few hundred thousand miles like a regular Nissan motor? What is the long term cost to own these vehicles?

clean hairy

It would have to be a second car, if you go out of town, have to find charging stations along the way.
As well, it advised NOT to use the quick zap charging stations too much as they could damage the batteries.
Unless the newer batteries are not affected.
What kind of range do these folks get in the dead of Winter?
I have heard that really reduces the range.

djkre8r

He claims he shouldn't see a change. Said instead of running the heater that he read where you turn on all the seat heaters and the steering wheel heater and it would warm the whole car. Those systems work off the "regular" battery. The ones coming in a couple years will get about 160 miles per charge. That's what the Tesla currently gets.
This would be my 2nd vehicle. I can't see getting rid of my small truck.

FAVREFAN

He claims he shouldn't see a change. Said instead of running the heater that he read where you turn on all the seat heaters and the steering wheel heater and it would warm the whole car. Those systems work off the "regular" battery. The ones coming in a couple years will get about 160 miles per charge. That's what the Tesla currently gets.
This would be my 2nd vehicle. I can't see getting rid of my small truck.
The Tesla Model S gets 265 miles per charge. The new p85D gets 275. Test driving a Tesla Model S this Friday.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Very strange.
Isnt that what the derail button is for?

135 posts in 5 years?

Very strange.

Guess he doesnt show up,on the board reader?

Extreme censorship?....no more free speech?

Just curious? or just being an....?
No. Not strange.

Not everyone appreciates it when their thread gets derailed. It chases off newbies and annoys people trying to actually discuss a topic.

The derail button is a gesture like a smile or a nod of the head. It does nothing to keep a thread on topic.

I think it's fair to respect the intention of the member that started a thread. If they add "seriously" or "on topic" to their thread title then we ought to respect that. If they contact the mods asking for off topic posts to be deleted then the mods can help them out. To me that's not "extreme censorship" or "no more free speech."

This has been discussed here before:

All threads should be kept on topic? That means that we have to read all the threads? That's not going to happen.

Maybe I'm just lazy, but keeping all the threads on topic on a forum that's this busy sounds like too much work. That and the fact that the terms have always said that we cannot be expected to read all of the content posted here.

Maybe we could start a new thing where the thread starter can control their own thread. If someone starts a thread with "on topic" tag in the name of their thread then they can report off topic posts and we can move off topic posts into an off topic thread.

There was a techie forum that I frequented quite a while ago. Every time a thread would become more of a conversation and it would go "off topic" the admin would start deleting posts. That created a good catalog of targeted information but by eliminating all of the naturally evolving conversations there wasn't much of a sense of community

Sorry to derail this thread again.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
The Tesla Model S gets 265 miles per charge. The new p85D gets 275. Test driving a Tesla Model S this Friday.
There's a free tesla charging station a couple of miles from our house. Under an hour and your car is charged for free. The S has an 8 year unlimited mile warranty on the battery. That sounds pretty good to me. I'm hoping it only takes another year or 2 for them to release their more affordable model.

The Original poster asked the Mods to delete any posts not on subject.
Not common but not unusual either.
Thanks for explaining that to me on the open forum. My post both times was meant in a serious manner. Sometimes I like to goof around in threads but was seriously giving an alternative. I've had the opertunity to see some things settled from parts all over the country and was just offering an alternative. I appreciate that you explained it instead of just leaving me to wonder why. Thank you Hoak

bbsam

Staff member
My brother bought one last year. Amazing, flat power curve. Considering a decked out Suburban will easily hit $70000, the Tesla is a steal.

Last edited by a moderator: