Any other center have this.............

UPSGUY72

We have one he usually works inside 1 or 2 days a week. Any time that he works inside or on vacation I cover his route. The Sups have told me I know his route better than he does. Some of the driver bitch and complain I don't mind he can do all the safety stuff he wants as long as he remembers that he is still in the union and not one of my bosses.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
We have a full time driver that stays in the office doing safety compliance work. He might go on road maybe once a month. We called the union but they said it was up to our management. How can this be! He has been doing this for over a year. And he signed back on his route on the new bid list. Shouldn't this be a full time position after 30 days.

It's the good olé Americans with Disabilities Act at work. If you can't do your normal job and you ask for reasonable accommodation and there is other work available, you get the gravy. Law (reluctantly) trumps union contract and production.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We have a guy in our building that hasn't run his bid route more than a handful of times since Christmas.
He, without exception, gets 11.5 hours or more every day.
He earned over $100,000 last year via the same program.
He has his own desk and computer in the On Car Supes office.
He's become proficient in Excel and Powerpoint and can paint pumpkins as well as anybody I've ever seen.
His most recent highlight was to superimpose various managerial face shots onto the bodies of famous athletes to form a mock front cover parity titled "Safety Illustrated".
When I was finishing up tonight, there he was filling drums with bananas and oranges for tomorrows wellness blitz, where you can fill a good sized fruit basket without taking more than one piece of fruit from more than one safety committee member.
It's these type of crucial duties that fills his days, evenings, and part of his nights.
He is unrivaled when it comes to creating acronyms and buzz phrases.
He attends many meetings and is even included in several conference calls weekly.
Most days when I get in, he's the only "supervisor" still there in our center.
He performs other critical supervisory tasks like shuttling misloads and bulk stops, not to mention falsifying records.
He and his wife received a much deserved all expense paid trip to the Daytona 500 this year.
He is truly a blessing and probably one of the finest Teamsters I've never known.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We have 3 or 4 guys in our "safety team" that come in 1-1.5 hours early to work on safety "stuff" and then they are off the clock by 5-6 p.m. at the latest. The best part is a few of them have some our highest numbers for accidents. So be it.

upsman68

We have a guy who drives to the airport to pick up the NDA volume and when he gets back he finishes his shift by doing safety stuff, Hazmats and making sure drivers fill out their DVIR. He is top guy on the seniority list and probably will never retire.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
We don't have anyone that does safety full time in our center. About three or four years ago we had someone who did pretty much what Bubblehead was describing in his post. Sending out messages on the DIAD about random safety points, filling out papers, doing "driver observations" with managment, ect.

One day that person was in browns and suddenly was placed as a driver on a gravy route. This said person didn't last more then a month before they kinda disappeared. Questions arose as to the persons whereabouts and finally management informed us that this person was no longer with the company.

Ever since then all we've had is a hierarchy of safety committee members doing that above things(before start times) and it's well known that people who join the safety committee (5 out of 8) have put in thier letters of intent. What's even better is two of these safety committee members are out on workmans comp and have been for over 4 months. I've voiced my opinion multiple times to a couple of the safety committee members who truly care about safey, not about coming up with the next acronym or some random managment pleasing tactic, and have been met with "why don't you join and help"? My response is I can achieve the same goal that you persue by doing one simple thing, invest the time to actually care, something this company can't measure on a piece of paper.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's the good olé Americans with Disabilities Act at work. If you can't do your normal job and you ask for reasonable accommodation and there is other work available, you get the gravy. Law (reluctantly) trumps union contract and production.

Please tread lightly--the ADA is in place for a reason. If an employee is abusing this I would then agree with you but I think you own anyone who legitimately qualifes for this program an apology for your unjust generalization.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Please tread lightly--the ADA is in place for a reason. If an employee is abusing this I would then agree with you but I think you own anyone who legitimately qualifes for this program an apology for your unjust generalization.

Wasn't meant to be a poke at the employee.

Just saying there's a reason the company has these people doing the type work the original poster thinks should be subject to bid.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Wasn't meant to be a poke at the employee.

Just saying there's a reason the company has these people doing the type work the original poster thinks should be subject to bid.

There is a reason, but it's not that these employees are being accommodated under the ADA.
Hell, the company fights touth and nail against legitimate workers comp claims.
This is obviously a wide scale nationwide phenomenon that is support by some corporate initiative, not an isolated federally mandated compliance issue.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In addition I believe the contract does support that if this employee has been performing this work in excess of 30 days, that it should be considered a new job and bid accordingly.
I also believe that this would not be met with open arms and subsequently set aside if grieved at our state panel.
It's for this reason, as well as for what Sober alluded to earlier about it being one more full-time Teamster on that given day, that I don't grieve this issue.

menotyou

bella amicizia
If you are injured though no fault of your own will working in the employ of UPS, they should have to find work for you. You should not be forced to endure the humiliation that occurs to you when you aren't allowed to come back to work when you did nothing wrong. Methods are ways to prevent injuries. Not guarantees.

satellitedriver

I am curious, how do you know all this infromation. We only saw our satellite driver about 3 or 4 times a year when I worked and believe me he was clueless about how things were ran on a daily basis at our center. He hated "coming to town". I don't even think some of our center managers even knew he existed. His only source of info was from the driver who shuttled his load up to him and according to him they didn't talk much about how things were back at the center because he didn't care.
Simple answer,
I have a cell phone and almost every driver and center management personnel has my number.

For some strange reason, drivers and management like to keep me informed, even though I could care less.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Simple answer,
I have a cell phone and almost every driver and center management personnel has my number.
For some strange reason, drivers and management like to keep me informed, even though I could care less.
satellitedriver,

How do you go about being reimbursed for the use of your cell phone for UPS business?

Sincerely,
I

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If you are injured though no fault of your own will working in the employ of UPS, they should have to find work for you. You should not be forced to endure the humiliation that occurs to you when you aren't allowed to come back to work when you did nothing wrong. Methods are ways to prevent injuries. Not guarantees.

I have no problem with them not finding work for people injured on the job, but it should be applied to everyone INCLUDING PEOPLE HIDING INJURIES FOR MGMT and not just those who file an injury report.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I have no problem with them not finding work for people injured on the job, but it should be applied to everyone INCLUDING PEOPLE HIDING INJURIES FOR MGMT and not just those who file an injury report.

I have a major problem with them not finding work. That just perpetuates their belief they can chew us up and spit us out. They can't. And, I am sick and tired of the union letting them. Take care of your own.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree--TAW should be applied evenly and not just offered to those who mgt "likes". If it is offered to one it should be offered to all and vice versa.