Any other feeder drivers working in the hub?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

upstate NY i dont think you get it. you shouldnt really judge without all the facts. is your life being disrupted right now?

I get it just fine. I was not judging anyone. I was simply trying to put everything in to perspective. I agree, his life is being disrupted right now, and I do feel bad about that, but this is a temporary setback and things will be back to normal before we know it.

bluehdmc

We have about 40 feeder drivers laid off in north NJ. (Parsippany) Here we have the option on "displacing" or bumping other feeder drivers in the local. (Either Meadowlands or Edison). It goes by the senior driver who wishes to displace bumps the most junior, and you go up one list and down the other. You can't choose where you want to go, it just depends on where the junior driver is. About 10 or 11 drivers are in the meadowlands and the displaced drivers are in the hub. The drivers who choose not to displace can work 2 sorts in the hub or take a layoff. Contrary to Ohio we choose week to week. So this week we could choose a layoff, (sorta like our own rlo), next week to displace, (if we have enough seniority), the following week, work in the hub.
These are all drivers hired off the street, most of us older and haven't worked in the hub. You continue to get whatever your driver rate is when working in the hub. Some guys are still in progression.
Some of the more senior drivers went through the same thing a few years ago, spending 5 or 6 months in the hub for a couple of years till volume picked back up.

Hopefully the economy will get moving again soon and volume will pick back up.

evilleace

Sorry you guys are laid off don't let management push you so hard you get injured. Also I thought feeder drivers could bump into package?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
If a feeder run is cut and the driver is working inside? There is no seniority for any specific load or area. That's in the contract. WAD
Thank you, some one finally said it!! Feeder drivers and package car drivers are just going to have to suck it up until things get back to normal. Leave the drama at the gate and just do the job until its time to go home.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Thank you, some one finally said it!! Feeder drivers and package car drivers are just going to have to suck it up until things get back to normal. Leave the drama at the gate and just do the job until its time to go home.

What he was probably speaking of is the political environment at our particular location. If a Feeder driver were bumped inside, he would be given a job wrapping skids or pushing a cart around the building in circles. They wouldn't let him/her sniff the hub work.

SnowCitizen

What exactly do you mean? Are you saying they're given easy jobs, or are you saying their seniority allows them to bid easy jobs.

They are given easy jobs, mainly tape jobs, service center, or pushing bulk down a slide onto a belt from the unload ( no lifting ).

I am not all that familiar with it, so I could be exaggerating somewhat, but from what I have always heard they don't want to have feeder drivers getting hurt in the building.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
The way it works is when a full time employee is laid off he can displace 1 or 2 part time employees or take the actual layoff. The contract says you can bump part timer that has less total company seniority. The JAC made the ruling that you could only bump the least senior part time. The least senior part time are the people loading or unloading. When you bump into the hub, for the 30 working days in a 90 day period you are basically considered a new hire. work as directed wherever they put you. After your 30 days you have the one time option of bumping the least senior full time position and then you have 30 calendar days to qualify for that job. If you are in the 30 day qualification period feeders or packages cannot call you back. If you fail to qualify you go back to what you were doing prior to the bump. If you do qualify and then get called back to your original job and get laid off again within 18 months you can bump back into that combo job. We are "sucking it up and doing the job" it just seems that consideration could be given to guys that have kids older than the kids that normally do these jobs. And these kids are only expected to do it for 1 sort.

trickpony1

At the time of layoff you have to state your intentions,(options being 2 sorts, 1 sort or layoff). He decided to take two sorts. You are held to that for the duration of layoff from feeder dept. This driver couldn't do the job and the more they pushed the more he pushed back, eventually resulting in a hearing. After the hearing about his hub performance the feeder manager brought an infraction that he had had in feeders out. The environment was already a hostile environment towards this driver so we couldn't make any deals with labor and they walked him out. When he was brought to hearing the company's stance had not changed. His option were to resign or go to Columbus and risk dicharge for dishonesty. He resigned.

I have serious concerns with the case as quoted above:
1) was the BA present?
2) NEVER resign. If you do you have absolutely no hope. At least there is a chance at panel. I know of one case where the FD had an "off the clock" termination and was offered to resign. He immediately called the BA and was told not to resign or sign anything. He got his job back. I don't think there was back pay. He worked long enough to get covered by the new 6 billion dollar pension "early" contract and THEN handed in his resignation letter.
3) whatever happened to the language in the contract that talks about, "....the age and physical condition of the employee shall be taken into consideration."? I could be wrong but I think that language is still in the contract.
4) why did the feeder manager feel the need to muddy the waters with another separate and unrelated charge? If the company fired evryone who was ever dishonest then a large % of the ties, suits and pants suits would be walked out the gate. The BA should have separated the two charges and addressed the timeliness of the dishonesty charge.

This case has a very strong appearance of a "witch hunt".
This case also bolsters some posters contentions that the company will slowly start getting rid of the older employees so as to replace them with young runners and gunners making 40% less per hour and only one week vacation. "Witch hunts" have a strange way of getting twisted around in the company's favor. Been there, done that.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I have serious concerns with the case as quoted above:
1) was the BA present?
2) NEVER resign. If you do you have absolutely no hope. At least there is a chance at panel. I know of one case where the FD had an "off the clock" termination and was offered to resign. He immediately called the BA and was told not to resign or sign anything. He got his job back. I don't think there was back pay. He worked long enough to get covered by the new 6 billion dollar pension "early" contract and THEN handed in his resignation letter.
3) whatever happened to the language in the contract that talks about, "....the age and physical condition of the employee shall be taken into consideration."? I could be wrong but I think that language is still in the contract.
4) why did the feeder manager feel the need to muddy the waters with another separate and unrelated charge? If the company fired evryone who was ever dishonest then a large % of the ties, suits and pants suits would be walked out the gate. The BA should have separated the two charges and addressed the timeliness of the dishonesty charge.

This case has a very strong appearance of a "witch hunt".
This case also bolsters some posters contentions that the company will slowly start getting rid of the older employees so as to replace them with young runners and gunners making 40% less per hour and only one week vacation. "Witch hunts" have a strange way of getting twisted around in the company's favor. Been there, done that.
Yes the BA was present and advised him that he probably would not win if he took it to state panel. The feeder manager saw an opportunity to put a feather in his cap because the guy was having problems and had labor upset with him. The feeder manager could have presented this at a different time but decided that this was an opportune time to make himself look good with hub management and labor. If the current situation was different and we weren't oversaturated with drivers the guy might have had a chance. We have lost so many runs and the extra board is so over inflated that they don't care if they lose anyone. The guy resigned to avoid the possibility of having a "discharged for dishonesty" on his record.