Any other locals have this agreement?

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I'm wondering if any other locals have local agreements that allow people to work through or cash in their vacations. If you do have that local agreement, what are the rules for doing so? Do you run your job? Do you go on call? If you go on call do you dovetail or work the bottom? Any info about how locals across the country are doing it would be appreciated.

TheDick

We are allowed to cash in and work our option week. However, I see it done all the time for non-option weeks as well.

+1 option
A+B for cash
finagle the other weeks, by agreeing to come in Mon/Tue and take rest of week off maybe coming in for preload on those days also

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We do not have option weeks here and are not allowed to work through our vacations. I don't personally have a problem with drivers working their vacations as long as there are no displaced drivers who could be working if the drivers were not allowed to do so. Imagine being a cover driver sitting at home while a FT driver, who has already received his vacation check (45 hours here), chooses to work his vacation for whatever reason ($$$, no life outside of UPS, doesn't like spending time w/spouse, etc).

Now, before W jumps my case, I have done this myself in the past, but only as a favor to my on car and I was given the equivalent number of days off as comp. I forget the details but I think a driver had a death in the family and my on car asked if I could help out for a few days and I did. To answer the OP, when this is done the driver does his regular run and the cover driver is bumped, which is why I don't think this is fair and should not be allowed on a regular basis. The cover did work but just covered another area.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
We do not have option weeks here and are not allowed to work through our vacations. I don't personally have a problem with drivers working their vacations as long as there are no displaced drivers who could be working if the drivers were not allowed to do so. Imagine being a cover driver sitting at home while a FT driver, who has already received his vacation check (45 hours here), chooses to work his vacation for whatever reason ($$$, no life outside of UPS, doesn't like spending time w/spouse, etc).

Now, before W jumps my case, I have done this myself in the past, but only as a favor to my on car and I was given the equivalent number of days off as comp. I forget the details but I think a driver had a death in the family and my on car asked if I could help out for a few days and I did. To answer the OP, when this is done the driver does his regular run and the cover driver is bumped, which is why I don't think this is fair and should not be allowed on a regular basis. The cover did work but just covered another area.
That is what our local agreement is. If you choose to work your vacation you have to declare 8 days in advance to keep your run. If you don't declare 8 days prior you can work and dovetail into the extra board. We have guys that are closing out prime weeks and then running their runs. I brought this up at a meeting and was immediately shot down by the former chief who got the agreement put in place. I know cashing in your option week and days is contractual but anything else is wrong IMO. Thanks for the responses.

cancun

I am a retired Business Mgr. and on occasion asked if anyone was interested in working their vacation. Also had drivers ask me if they could work their vacation. In both cases it was a situation where a sup would have to run a route and no junior person was laid off. Our labor manager wasn't happy about it but I always told him I would rather pay an hourly to do it rather than a sup and then paying an 8 hr grievance.

dragracer66

I'm lost here, why would anybody want to cash in and work there vacations??? Isn't that what we all work towards, vacations and holidays off???

lazydriver

No working on your vacation week. In December any unused sick days or option days will be paid off or deferred into 401K untaxed if under the maximum limit for the year.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I am filing on every employee that is working through their vacations. People are laid off because volume is down yet we don't have enough package car drivers?

We are allowed to work through our optional week, but that is it. We have drivers going home every day and people are double dipping by working through vacations! BS

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
We used to be allowed to work through our holidays, but not anymore. Actually, there was one time that we were so screwed that management used to beg drivers to work through thier holidays (not that I ever did). Here, optional days can be cashed in at the end of the year if they're unused and UPS cuts us a check for that. Personally, if the company wants to pay me to sit at home, I'll take that straight to the bank. Who am I to argue?

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Because some people live beyond their means and need the extra cash to pay their bills...
Also, I think with some of them it is bragging rights. I see some of the guys comparing YTD totals and laughing. If they saw my YTD total they would have to laugh because they've probably paid more in taxes than I've made.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I am filing on every employee that is working through their vacations. People are laid off because volume is down yet we don't have enough package car drivers?

We are allowed to work through our optional week, but that is it. We have drivers going home every day and people are double dipping by working through vacations! BS
Red, any idea on how to get a local agreement modified/retracted when the chief, senior stewards and BA are the ones who put it in place?

labels_up

Box slinger
Because some people live beyond their means and need the extra cash to pay their bills...

Some people do, but on the other hand, for PT-ers like myself, it's always nice to work double shifts, Sunday sorts, and normal long hours during peak and then cash in remaining vacation time to get even *more* extra money, always useful around the holidays.

Secondly "living within my means" translates to I can't really afford to travel anywhere exciting on vacation anyway, sitting on my ass around the house for a whole week is boring, so why not take some extra money? Sure they will take out a lot in taxes but it's still extra. Also, considering vacation for PT-ers is only 20 hours and I usually get 25+ per week, if I were to take vacation then I'd have a check that's only 80% of what I normally make so my budget for the month would take a nice hit.

That being said, I'm on vacation this week, but been here almost 4 years and until now, never took any, never missed more than 2 days in a row (and that only once when I was sick and utterly miserable) since I started. Guess I finally really needed a break, LOL.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Vacations were negotiated in to our contract for a reason--to take time away from work. As I said above, I don't really have a problem with people working their vacations as long as they do not displace another employee in doing so.

I don't have a problem with picking up a shift here and there as the extra money is nice. I work an occasional Saturday Air as that is the easiest money I have ever made, especially if I have to drive to Potsdam to bring our NDA so that they can then forward it to Syracuse. 8 hours + of the easiest money (which is why they generally don't like FTers working on Saturdays). I work the day after Thanksgiving and New Years Eve but always make sure that any PTers that want to work those days are able to before I sign up.

I do agree with Red in that an employee should not be allowed to work his/her vacation if there are employees within that classification on layoff that could/would be put to work otherwise. That is just unfair and I don't care what your situation is, take your vacation and let someone who hasn't worked in a while get some hours. However, if everyone is working and it means that a sup will be on the road, by all means go ahead and work your vacation if you want to, but take a moment and ask yourself why it is that you want to work when you should be enjoying yourself away from work. Is money really that important?

QKRSTKR

We can do it with our option week and like 2 other vacations. I never do it cause I like my time off. Some guys who need the money do it. BUT you have to select the vacations you are taking a payoff for when selecting vacations. On the vacation schedule they go on as PO, for pay only. These do not count toward the % that must be off per week. Ours is 17% for summer. That kind of takes the problem of the cover/vactions drivers not working away. Someone else will be able to schedule a week off for that week.

But you can't do it if you scheduled the vacation as time off when u select the week.