Any other stations going crazy with cutting OT?

optikz

As the title says, any other stations going through this crazy phase where they are hiring people just to take over time? Guys at my station who normally get 9-10 hours a day on a 5-8 route, are being forced to drop stops to get to 7-8 hours of work. We do t even have open routes since they filled them with the last few new hires, now the new people are coming in just to eliminate ot

dezguy

Flavour of the month. Don't worry, in another month and a half, they'll be telling you it's ok to skip your break, ect. Hopefully people remember this and refuse OT. They won't though.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
As the title says, any other stations going through this crazy phase where they are hiring people just to take over time? Guys at my station who normally get 9-10 hours a day on a 5-8 route, are being forced to drop stops to get to 7-8 hours of work. We do t even have open routes since they filled them with the last few new hires, now the new people are coming in just to eliminate ot

No worries! They'll all quit soon, and it will all be back to normal (complete cluster). They're doing their level best to take away your raise.

BigTex61

There having us do thus too, having DRA limit us to an 8 hour day. However, DRA creates a ton of extra routes because of this with no one to run them. As the sort nears the end, we're then told we have to "absorb" these extra routes, creating more havoc. Gotta love it. My goal is to cost Fedex as much as possible and help them stayin that 0 to 3 percent margin zone, and I'm not alone. Here's to you Freddie boy!

!Retired!

Flavour of the month.
Yup, last month was to make sure everyone working over 8 hours took an hour lunch. When they saw it wasn't feasible AND they couldn't force you to take an hour, it went away. The month before is was to make sure all FT drivers worked at least 35 hours.

OT at our station is not a problem, there's plenty to go around.....if you want it.

Purplepackage

I run a 4x10 route so I get my 40 and go home and occasionally work Saturday for some OT.

But yeah they are making all 5x8 routes take an hour break now but I don't see what that will fix if you take an hour you'll just back later not work less hours

dex 84

If they make me take an hour break i always make sure that that causes more OT, not less. All of a sudden instead of being able to do all my p2 in an area I could be making two or three passes to avoid SOS lates and then 2 day and XS business lates. By the time 4:30 rolls around I'll have plenty of residential stops still on board and if I have to break off to get pickups that are closing then I really push back the time that I can get those resies done.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
If they make me take an hour break i always make sure that that causes more OT, not less. All of a sudden instead of being able to do all my p2 in an area I could be making two or three passes to avoid SOS lates and then 2 day and XS business lates. By the time 4:30 rolls around I'll have plenty of residential stops still on board and if I have to break off to get pickups that are closing then I really push back the time that I can get those resies done.
Upper management isn't smart enough to figure that out. The whole hour break thing is nothing more than a power play to exert control over employees.

optikz

Upper management isn't smart enough to figure that out. The whole hour break thing is nothing more than a power play to exert control over employees.
Exactly. We were forced to take hour breaks over a year ago. People just got in an hour or so later because of all the back tracking which in turn, increased overtime....makes no sense

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Would be nice to lose some OT for a change. I drop 20-30 stops every day and still have to work 9-10 hours every day. Oh, that's right, we're not DRA yet. THAT'll fix THAT problem!

dezguy

Would be nice to lose some OT for a change. I drop 20-30 stops every day and still have to work 9-10 hours every day. Oh, that's right, we're not DRA yet. THAT'll fix THAT problem!
Do you not have a say in whether you want to work OT or not? Here, we can't be forced to work more than an hour before or after our scheduled shift. Is it not that way down there?

dex 84

The sad thing is it gets people to work for free in order to get out earlier while still getting the full break or to rush through their route to get off in under 8 hours.
Do you not have a say in whether you want to work OT or not? Here, we can't be forced to work more than an hour before or after our scheduled shift. Is it not that way down there?

Who does the rest of your work if you don't want to work overtime?

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
It really is unbelievable the differences between up here and down there. You'd think company policies would be uniform across the board.
There doesn't even seem to be a whole lot of uniformity in policy from one Express facility to another right here in the States.

One of the most common refrains you hear from someone who has just transferred in from another location is "that's not the way we did it at (XYZ)"

vantexan

There doesn't even seem to be a whole lot of uniformity in policy from one Express facility to another right here in the States.

One of the most common refrains you hear from someone who has just transferred in from another location is "that's not the way we did it at (XYZ)"
I've transferred more than most, and most stations seem to always do something a little different than others. What's fun is watching a mgr get all indignant when you point that out. In his mind the way they do it is not only the right way, but it's cookie cutter the same everywhere else.