Any other UPS cyclists?

non_bid_dawg

32 routes in 3 centers..
I was Just curious, I'm a Non bid pkg car drivin mule, and I'm also a competitive cyclist. I try to do the 25mi (one way) commute to and from the hub at least once a week in the summer and I ride 3 to 5 times a week before or after work and race MTB-XC, Road Crits and Cyclocross on weekends depending on the time of year.
I know I'm the only one in my building that does this and I'm curious if any body else is into it.

rod

Retired 22 years
sounds like alot of work----my 2 wheeled transportation has a motor on it:peaceful: I think you have to talk to Steve

non_bid_dawg

32 routes in 3 centers..
I used to race cat 2 cyclocross and semipro XC. But not since I becamse a pkg driver. All riding stopped. This was all when I was PT or in college.
Wow..that's too bad, sorry to hear that. I get a lot of the guys in my center telling me I'm nuts for doing what I do cycling wise but the way I see it is that I refuse to let my job dictate what I do when I'm not wearing brown. As for 2 wheels and a motor...eh maybe when I'm 80 years old cuz I plan to be cycling into my 70s! :happy-very:

brownrodster

Wow..that's too bad, sorry to hear that. I get a lot of the guys in my center telling me I'm nuts for doing what I do cycling wise but the way I see it is that I refuse to let my job dictate what I do when I'm not wearing brown. As for 2 wheels and a motor...eh maybe when I'm 80 years old cuz I plan to be cycling into my 70s! :happy-very:

I used to ride a lot. 3-5 hours per day at least 4 days a week then lighter days were 1.5-3 hours. I am just too tired as a driver to go ride 100+ miles on a day off. I'm toast. Saturday is a sit at home and do nothing and recover day. Riding my bike 100 miles is easier than a day being a package driver.

Don1010

ive done the 25mile trek thru chicago downtown twice. Its called the Late Ride. Starts at 1am til 6am or when ever you finish, I take my whole family with me . i was especially proud of my 2 sons 8 and 15 , they rode the whole ride with me for the first time and they did great.

Since getting married several years ago I am down to centuries on Sundays. Saturday is my recovery day for the week. We do most of our riding on our tandems but I try to get in two fun MTB races every year,:bigsmile2: on my single - 24 hours of Afton and Chequamegon. Training is difficult at best after spending the day delivering but the job does keep us in pretty good shape. I used to train a lot but that's very difficult due to 1)perpetually sore feet 2)nagging overuse injuries 3)too much food required:spaghetti:.
At a tandem rally last year we saw a couple wearing UPS jerseys:no:...there should be a law.
Ed

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I was Just curious, I'm a Non bid pkg car drivin mule, and I'm also a competitive cyclist. I try to do the 25mi (one way) commute to and from the hub at least once a week in the summer and I ride 3 to 5 times a week before or after work and race MTB-XC, Road Crits and Cyclocross on weekends depending on the time of year.
I know I'm the only one in my building that does this and I'm curious if any body else is into it.

Did you read my thread on bike commuting?

Since getting married several years ago I am down to centuries on Sundays. Saturday is my recovery day for the week. We do most of our riding on our tandems but I try to get in two fun MTB races every year,:bigsmile2: on my single - 24 hours of Afton and Chequamegon. Training is difficult at best after spending the day delivering but the job does keep us in pretty good shape. I used to train a lot but that's very difficult due to 1)perpetually sore feet 2)nagging overuse injuries 3)too much food required:spaghetti:.
At a tandem rally last year we saw a couple wearing UPS jerseys:no:...there should be a law.
Ed

Just rode home after working a 9/5. Didn't fuel up as well as I should have and rode the last mile on empty. When I got home I absolutely devoured 5 slices of Papa John's pizza that was just delivered.

I'm in Florida and ride flats mostly. Only hills in my area are bridges and sand dunes. I ride about 150 miles a week, rain or shine. I've met several other bike commuters as well as hardcore cyclists since I've started. I do my long rides on Saturdays alone or with friends, and leave Sunday's for church and rest. On Saturday I will go anywhere from a 25/35 mile ride, up to 75/85 miles. I'm a road rider on a Trek 1.2.

Another user on here, Mike Hawk, is a MTB guy. You may wanna PM him and chat him up about what he does.

Steve!