Any PTSups notice a shortage in this weeks' paycheck?

UPS Lifer

Before I retired, I had 34 part-time supervisors working for me in ONT. PTRS was put into play because of the lawsuit that was settled regarding PT salaried. The first year it was a problem and then it was corrected to reflect holiday pay so as not to screw with your OT.

Your FT supervisor has to approve all the holidays for it to kick in properly.

You need to go your manager to get this rectified. If you don't get resolution at that step go to the Division Manager and your HR ERM (Empolyee Relations Manager)

You get 1.1 times your hourly rate after 27.5 hours or 5.5 hours per day. You get 1.5 x your hourly rate over 8.0 hrs/day or 40 hrs/week. You get 2.0 times your hourly rate after 12 hours a day or 60 hours per week.

This all has to be done manually in the PTRS by your FT supervisor. Sounds like he/she screwed up. OH! Any 6th day worked is paid at 1.5 your hourly rate based on your salary. This goes for any OMS or PT supervisor in California - (can't speak for the rest of the country) But the 6th day is worked hours and if a holiday falls in that week it does not apply unless you work every day that week (other than the holiday).

Bucket of Boltz

UPS Lifer-The procedures and processes have changed for PTRS employees. Your statements are out dated and incorrect.

There is no longer "Premium Pay" -- 1.1x's for hours over 27.5, no double time for a 6th day worked, hours are not automatically populated in PTRS for a holiday.

SouthCal

Sounds like you need a Union. OOPS!!!:devil3:

I don't need a union if I do my job well enough and not get in trouble. This is really the only issue I've had since I started nearly 4 years ago. My current Center Manager is trying to make this right, but I know there's only so much he's going to be able to do. If I remember correctly, there was an issue similar to this several years ago (long before I got there) and it ended up being a gigantic class action lawsuit. :dead:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Two supervisors I have talked with, early in 2009?, both mentioned being screwed by being forced to work days off, or holidays, and were told to 'take a personal holiday later in the year' and never recieved the days off. Not sure the exact stories but sound very similar.

SouthCal

Two supervisors I have talked with, early in 2009?, both mentioned being screwed by being forced to work days off, or holidays, and were told to 'take a personal holiday later in the year' and never recieved the days off. Not sure the exact stories but sound very similar.

That sounds about right. It ridiculous the way they have managed and/or mismanaged this whole thing. I see both sides of this, but those of us who bend over backwards to make everything work and run as smoothly as possible need to be properly compensated. There's just no incentive to work overtime during a week where there's a holiday or when we use a holiday make up. I know I keep reiterating that statement, but it's frustrating as hell.

UPSF Peeon

Burger King is hiring. If you do not like it leave. Before PTRS, many PT Supervisors worked more than the salary hours and did not get compensated. It is called dedication.

couldnt disagree more, if the guy worked he should be paid for his time, i know they arent union but thats the way it should be for anybody, just because management seems to be the enemy sometimes doesnt mean they should get screwed out of there pay

upser_J

You can fight this all you want, but you will not win. You are in a management position which means you are paid salary. We are guaranteed 27.5 hours per week. That is your guarantee. Not 5.5 hours per day. People generally believe that as part time supervisors we must be guaranteed 5.5 hours per day since it takes at least that much to reach our guaranteed 27.5 (on a normal work week.) This is not the case.

You are confusing our pay system with that of the part time hourlies. A part time hourly receives OT for any given day in which they work over 5 hours. However, since we are not hourly, it does not even make sense to receive OT per day. We will get compensated for anything worked over our weekly 27.5.

Hope this helps!

How many hourlies enjoy wracking up the OT monday through thursday and leave as early as u can on friday and still have plenty of OT! man its great NOT being a pt sup!

UPS Lifer

UPS Lifer-The procedures and processes have changed for PTRS employees. Your statements are out dated and incorrect.

There is no longer "Premium Pay" -- 1.1x's for hours over 27.5, no double time for a 6th day worked, hours are not automatically populated in PTRS for a holiday.

Do you work in California? Are you familiar with California law. I am not commenting about the rest of the country in my post.

I didn't say that the holiday was automatically populated. I said the system was corrected. The FT supervisor has to approve the holiday. No approval - no hours populate which screws up the OT. Now I may have mis-stated the rate (2.0) about the double time for a 6th day... it might only be time-and-a-half. But the 6th day worked with no holiday was paid at one of those rates (2.0 or 1.5). Again the FT supervisor who approves the PTRS has to manually approve the 6th day or it won't be paid. There was a form that had to be filled out as well and sent in to payroll.

With the California lawsuit - I highly doubt the Pacific region would change this process. They would run the risk of another lawsuit. You change this system to benefit the company and bingo another class action will be filed. A precedent was set and unless the company changes it for the benefit of the PT supervisor, I am sure that UPS will not risk that. The only way it would revert back is if the company won an appeal which stated the PT supervisors were salaried. If that was the case then this thread would not be necessary because the PT supervisor would not be entitled to OT.

One person who might be able to give more insight into the California PTRS would be Hoke. He may have contacts who know what the current procedures are.

mva1985

Burger King is hiring. If you do not like it leave. Before PTRS, many PT Supervisors worked more than the salary hours and did not get compensated. It is called dedication.

PT sups deserve to be compensated for their time. PERIOD.

Dedication - give me a break. Maybe if you were a full time salaried management then that is different.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
Are any OMS or PTSups that worked over your allotted 27.5 hours (oh, but make sure you work 39.98 or less the week of Christmas!!!) noticing a 5.5 hour shortage from Christmas? Were you told you would be allowed another day off later? Better question, would you rather have another day off or would you rather have your overtime?

Guess what? If you're an OMS that worked more than 27.5 hours last week or even this week, you're not getting paid for the holiday. Because we're salaried at an hourly rate. So they're kind enough to give us an extra day off that we'll be given grief for wanting to take.

I'll give you a lovely example. I worked 21 hours this week in three days. With me so far? We will get our weekly guarantee of 27.5 hours. But we won't get paid any overtime we worked. So with that... They're kind enough to give me my 6.5 hours so I'm making my guaranteed, but I'm loosing out on the days I worked over my allowed 5.5. This way my paycheck now will read 27.5 flat instead of 27.5 + 4.5 hours of overtime.

I've been sitting on this for three weeks because I've been fighting with my region's finance department over a similar problem regarding Thanksgiving Holiday Make Ups. I came back from a surgery and worked 29 hours in a 4 day time (Wednesday through Saturday) frame, took my "two holiday make up days" on Monday and Tuesday and was shorted eleven hours because I presumed that we would get paid for those days... The rest of my PTSups didn't figure it out until this week. It basically fills it in like you took sick days. You know how if you need to work over time on a week you took a sick day, the overtime you work automatically fills into that sick day so you get your guarantee and you don't get paid for that overtime. There's NO incentive whatsoever to working overtime during the weeks that there are holidays or ever really.

Fantastic job corporate; way to screw the backbones of your offices. I want my damn money, I don't want an extra day off. They were super sneaky about the way they reformatted our pay last year. Taking us off of "Salary" and making us "Hourly". Salaried Management when they want us to be and Hourly Management when they want us to be. Look at your pay stubs from last year, we were salaried... Now we have an hourly pay rate. :angry-very2:

Sorry for the diatribe on my first post. :happy2:

This is a company-wide issue. OMS and part time supervisors' pay and salary system was changed effective Jan, 2009.

At that time, we were given paperwork outlining the changes (I thought we had to sign acknowledgment and understanding of the changes). Rather than get paid on the 15th and 26th of each month, we would be paid weekly. Our pay converted from a salary to an hourly rate.

It also stated that holiday, discretionary and sick days would not count toward hours worked, as in previous years. In other words, you have to ACTUALLY work 27.5 hrs before you will be paid for any extra hours.
An example, Christmas week you work Mon - Thur 26 hrs. You will be paid 26 hrs plus 1.5 hrs to make your 27.5 guarantee. Is it fair? NO. But it is not a surprise, we all were sent e mails and given paperwork outlining these changes.

Also in the paperwork, it stated if a holiday falls on a non-work day (July 4th this past year) we would receive an extrta day of pay. So what happened, the beginning of June, 2009 we receive an email with changes to how we would paid if a holiday falls on a non work day. NO, we would not be paid an extra day, rather we would get a day off at a later date, mutually agreed upon with our manager. Again, NOT FAIR.

p228

I didn't say that the holiday was automatically populated. I said the system was corrected. The FT supervisor has to approve the holiday. No approval - no hours populate which screws up the OT.

As of Jan 09 holidays, sick days, discretionary days, etc. don't put any hours in. Even after approval they show up as 0.00 hours. That directly affects your weekly total.

We didn't feel the changes until the Saturday after Thanksgiving. We worked Monday through Wednesday, coded in a holiday on Thursday and Friday, then worked Saturday for eight hours with no break. Since the weekly total at the end of the week was just under 27.5 hours we didn't get a penny of extra time. Before the payroll changes we would have been paid for all six days and received premium time, but not anymore.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
Do you work in California? Are you familiar with California law. I am not commenting about the rest of the country in my post.

I didn't say that the holiday was automatically populated. I said the system was corrected. The FT supervisor has to approve the holiday. No approval - no hours populate which screws up the OT. Now I may have mis-stated the rate (2.0) about the double time for a 6th day... it might only be time-and-a-half. But the 6th day worked with no holiday was paid at one of those rates (2.0 or 1.5). Again the FT supervisor who approves the PTRS has to manually approve the 6th day or it won't be paid. There was a form that had to be filled out as well and sent in to payroll.

With the California lawsuit - I highly doubt the Pacific region would change this process. They would run the risk of another lawsuit. You change this system to benefit the company and bingo another class action will be filed. A precedent was set and unless the company changes it for the benefit of the PT supervisor, I am sure that UPS will not risk that. The only way it would revert back is if the company won an appeal which stated the PT supervisors were salaried. If that was the case then this thread would not be necessary because the PT supervisor would not be entitled to OT.

One person who might be able to give more insight into the California PTRS would be Hoke. He may have contacts who know what the current procedures are.

Part time supervisors are entitled to be paid straight time (not OT) over their guaranteed 27.5 hrs. The issue is when a holiday, discretionary or sick day falls on the week the employee works extra hours. They only get paid the extra hours if they have ACTUALLY worked 27.5 hrs.

As in my previous quote, the company does change pay policy to their advantage. Example, when a holiday falls on a non-work day. It was decided in June to not pay the extra day but give a make up day at a later date instead. The company said they wanted part time supervisors to be compensated for these holidays as full time management are. This is in direct conflict to how they are being paid currently - hourly rate and paid weekly. Cant figure this one out.

UPSSOCKS

Everybody is an expert on this matter I see, BUT Christmas Eve is NOT a UPS holiday. So if you didn't work you didn't get paid. Techinically Christmas eve was a layoff.
Anyhow SouthCal, there is no crying while management. Suck it up. If you wanted to whine about pay, time, and the way you are being treated, you should of stayed in the union.

UPSSOCKS

How many hourlies enjoy wracking up the OT monday through thursday and leave as early as u can on friday and still have plenty of OT! man its great NOT being a pt sup!

I don't know, I'll ask you how great it is in a couple of months. Part time, is part time but the sups will get 27.5 hours a week, and the hourlies will be under 20 very soon......

drewed

Shankman
The problem is in years passed, in ptrs you had two columns, hours worked and hours paid, when you coded a day 22 (holiday no work) it put 5.5 hours in the hrs paid column and if you coded it 32 (holiday worked) it would be time worked in the hrs worked and double that amount in hours paid.....last jan when they decided to adjust our pay scales and what not they did away with this without any notice

SouthCal

I was never a union employee, I came in as a temp as an OMS and was hired into UPS when they did away with the temp program. The week of Christmas I worked 27.5 hours in a little under 3 days. The way I (and a LOT of other people in my building, especially us OMS') see it is why give us the extra day off later on when we're going to have to fight to take it. Most of them didn't even know we were going to be given an extra day off. It's not fair to those of us who fairly do our work and go well above and beyond what is expected of us all the time. We don't want the extra time off, we would rather have our money.

By the way, to whomever said PT sups don't have dedication? You're incorrect. I've worked extremely hard to have my job and handle the responsibilities that I carry. My management team doesn't question my decisions because they know that I'll do the right thing. I'm in school to advance up the food chain. I care tremendously for my drivers. I'm close with my shop steward, so I go to him if I'm having any problems with someone and he guides me down the right path if discipline is warranted.

UPSer21

Operations Supervisor
I agree with socks on the p/t hourlies being under 20hrs/week very soon. I know in my area of operation we are implementing smart scanners very soon. It will be great to be a pt sup! No service, all production. Its going to be a different world for those who think they can milk the clock.

P

pickup

Everybody is an expert on this matter I see, BUT Christmas Eve is NOT a UPS holiday. So if you didn't work you didn't get paid. Techinically Christmas eve was a layoff.
Anyhow SouthCal, there is no crying while management. Suck it up. If you wanted to whine about pay, time, and the way you are being treated, you should of stayed in the union.

"you should of stayed in the union." ? How about "you should have stayed in the union." ? Don't worry, I have seen worse writing in company memos written by supposedly educated people.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
Evweryone on PTRS should of received an email back in Nov 2008, detailing the pay and salary changes. This included computing your new hourly pay rate. This email stated that holiday, d days and sick days would not count toward your weekly guarantee when calculating your weekly worked hours. Division Managers should of also received this payroll reminder prior to Thanksgiving, which they SHOULD OF passed on to their employees.

Another strange thing. All OMS and part time sups in our center offices were told there was no work available on New Years Eve day (1st time in 15 yrs). However, the hourly full-time admins were required to work.... Figure this one out! :dissapointed:

W

westsideworma

Evweryone on PTRS should of received an email back in Nov 2008, detailing the pay and salary changes. This included computing your new hourly pay rate. This email stated that holiday, d days and sick days would not count toward your weekly guarantee when calculating your weekly worked hours. Division Managers should of also received this payroll reminder prior to Thanksgiving, which they SHOULD OF passed on to their employees.

Another strange thing. All OMS and part time sups in our center offices were told there was no work available on New Years Eve day (1st time in 15 yrs). However, the hourly full-time admins were required to work.... Figure this one out! :dissapointed:

I found this odd too. Previously we had to pick one or the other to work (day after thanksgiving or new years eve). This year we all worked (well minus a few) day after thanksgiving (PT Supes) and none of us worked new years eve. I'm not complaining thats how I usually work anyways but it was just odd.