Any Pyromaniacs Out There?

A

anonymous6

tomorrow i'm burning yard stuff in my yard and i LOVE making fires and burning all day. i have to get a permit and the neighbors hate it.

someone usually calls the fire dept and they come over and i show my permit.

it started in the Boy Scouts. i always volunteered to make the bonfires for the night songfests. i could stay up all night telling ghost stories and staring at the fire.

was a volunteer firefighter for 4 years and loved fighting forest fires. never started one illegally though.

raceanoncr

Yep. To this day.

Whilst running heavy equipment before UPS, many times would have to clear areas of trees. Would start giant fires, then buried stumps in backyards of unsuspecting future homeowners.

Now, with OK from city, have small burn pit in back yard. Take care of small twigs and other "junk" that happens to fall on our yard.

over9five

Staff member
We sat around a fire last night in the yard. Mostly fueled by sticks that had fallen through the winter, but we threw on some logs as well. Beautiful night for it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
U know I had this conversation with another male not long ago. It's amazing how strong fire has been in the history of how we evolved. U just know everytime u start a fire.

Something about staring into a fire just mesmerizes most men (not sure the affect on women). I can sit and state at a fire and drink beer all night.

In fact when my wife asked what I wanted for my 30th bday bash. My reply was close friends family beer and a massive fire.

Can't wait to move out of the city limits so I can burn **** whenever I want!!!!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have a woodstove in my house, and a fire pit in my back yard.

I enjoy making fires. I heat my home with the woodstove even though I have a high-efficiency gas furnace. I love coming home to a cold house after work and warming it up with a crackling fire in my woodstove. And in the summer, my wife and I love to sit on the deck and enjoy an outdoor fire in the fire pit on a warm evening.

A note to people who burn trash or yard debris; be kind to your neighbors and dump some oil or diesel fuel on the pile so that it burns fast and hot and makes less smoke. There is nothing more obnoxious than a smoky, smoldering fire that slowly burns all day.

wkmac

There are women who like a nice fire, not always a towering inferno, but that nice fire in the fireplace or one outside in the fire pit or at the campsite. We have a fire pit and especially in the fall on a cool night, we build a fire and often some of the neighbors come over and we have a nice relaxing visit. Of course when the kids were younger it was all about the smores! :happy-very:

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
U know I had this conversation with another male not long ago. It's amazing how strong fire has been in the history of how we evolved. U just know everytime u start a fire.

Something about staring into a fire just mesmerizes most men (not sure the affect on women). I can sit and state at a fire and drink beer all night.

In fact when my wife asked what I wanted for my 30th bday bash. My reply was close friends family beer and a massive fire.

Can't wait to move out of the city limits so I can burn **** whenever I want!!!!

We have a small fire pit we use every couple of weeks all yearlong. I think I like it most in winter.

Its funny how you said fire & the history of how man evolved. I feel that way when we have fires, but even more so when I'm at the ocean.

Enjoy your 30th, Youngblood!

S

serenity now

just no comparison to the special warmth given off by a woodstove as compared to a conventional furnace

A

anonymous6

fire helped humans make an evolutionary jump. before fire we were wanderers and berry eaters. with fire we were able to cook meat, keep predators at bay, clear trees and brush for crops, and make whoopie by the warmth of it. to name just a few bennies.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
just no comparison to the special warmth given off by a woodstove as compared to a conventional furnace

You cant back up to a furnace vent in the ceiling and warm up your cold butt and hands. It seems like conventional furnaces just blow stale warm air around and it isnt the same as the radiant heat you get from a stove. Plus, natural gas and electricity are both expensive, whereas firewood quite literally grows on trees. I have become a master at the art of scrounging free wood off of Craigslist, there are lots of people without fireplaces who have a tree service take down a tree in their yard and they are left with a pile of green, unseasoned rounds they want to get rid of that arent really worth any money. I snatch that stuff up quick and let it season in my back yard for a year or two. I already have next years firewood split and stacked and under cover, ready to burn, plus about half the wood I will need for the winter after that. Havent paid anything for it other than gas money for my truck plus the occasional $50 a day to rent a splitter once I have a big enough pile of rounds.

You cant back up to a furnace vent in the ceiling and warm up your cold butt and hands. It seems like conventional furnaces just blow stale warm air around and it isnt the same as the radiant heat you get from a stove.

Plus, natural gas and electricity are both expensive, whereas firewood quite literally grows on trees. I have become a master at the art of scrounging free wood off of Craigslist, there are lots of people without fireplaces who have a tree service take down a tree in their yard and they are left with a pile of green, unseasoned rounds they want to get rid of that arent really worth any money.

I snatch that stuff up quick and let it season in my back yard for a year or two. I already have next years firewood split and stacked and under cover, ready to burn, plus about half the wood I will need for the winter after that. Havent paid anything for it other than gas money for my truck plus the occasional $50 a day to rent a splitter once I have a big enough pile of rounds.

rod

Retired 22 years
I love a good campfire/bon-fire also. Around here you can build a fire anytime you want (as long as it isn't so dry out that a burning ban is being enforced). As long as your burning material is less than 3 feet high and 3 feet across you don't need a permit. Anything larger than that you are suppose to get a permit from the DNR over the internet. I have 3 different burning pits/rings that I use. For the first 3 years I was retired I had a part time job as a fire spotter with the DNR. I flew in a small plane for 7 and a half hours day looking for forest fires during our "fire season". For the most part it was all low level flying with lots of bouncing around and super tight turning. I always described it as riding a roller coaster for 7 1/2 hours a day. Its amazing how quick you can spot smoke from the air. On a good day I would call in about a dozen fires. The majority of them were people burning leaves and brush piles illegally.

A

anonymous6

funny... watching Castaway and the part when he tries to make fire. I know the feeling too.

back when i was 19 i rode my bicycle up to Canada in the middle of winter. one day i stopped at the forest service office to ask about the state park i wanted to camp that night. the ranger said it was closed but I was welcome to stay there but he did not recommend it because of the weather.

of course I went. the young will live forever. the park was a frozen wasteland and I was cold and hungry. I thought about what I was gonna do . a fire seemed impossible. all the wood was under snow. i took out my rambo knife, dug out some rounds , took a big rock and started splitting the rounds with rock and knife. used the inside parts of rounds to start fire.

took awhile but had a roaring fire going and had a nice hot meal. acouple hrs later while staring at the fire i saw some headlights at this closed state park and started to get nervous. it was the forest ranger!!! he drove about 40 miles to check up me cause he was worried. after talking awhile he said "well, i guess you have everything under control." and then he wished me luck getting to Canada and left.

that's a good fire memory. a good people memory too.

rod

Retired 22 years
Hey Sober, Ever heard of a Rocket Mass Heater? These things use about a cord of wood a year, the exhaust is very clean but because of the mass, really put out the heat.

Living with the Rocket Mass Heater, cleaning, lighting, splitting fuel - YouTube

If I could just get the wife to cut,haul,split and stack the wood I would have a woodstove in a heartbeat but being she won't have anything to do with that I guess I will have to stay with my dual fuel off peak electric heat. Its so much easier to just turn the thermostat up a couple of degrees.