Any Questions about FMLA/STD? I have your answers

InsideScoop

Hey guys... I'm not a driver or anything but I am indeed a UPSer (Non Union)... I'm here to answer any of you alls questions regarding FMLA on an "off record" basis. Im know there's many of you who are confused by the whole leave process and a lot of you may feel it's complete BS (I share those sentiments at times)... But being someone who has had the opportunity to administer/monitor the leave you all take... I know first hand the frustration you all endure with it. So I'm here to give you guys the scoop if needed.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
My wife and I are expecting our first child soon, and we have several appointments before the baby comes that will require me to take days off to make the needed appointments. Can I begin the FMLA and use single days when required to make said appointments?

thedownhillEXPRESS

Hey guys... I'm not a driver or anything but I am indeed a UPSer (Non Union)... I'm here to answer any of you alls questions regarding FMLA on an "off record" basis. Im know there's many of you who are confused by the whole leave process and a lot of you may feel it's complete BS (I share those sentiments at times)... But being someone who has had the opportunity to administer/monitor the leave you all take... I know first hand the frustration you all endure with it. So I'm here to give you guys the scoop if needed.
:fantasysmiley:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
NJ has paid Family leave. We all pay for it. How much of out taxes are being wasted on government to fund this mess? Do we have facts on who exactly takes advantage of this program?

thedownhillEXPRESS

Well it appears your tax dollars DONT pay for it.

Who provides the funding for the Family Leave Insurance program?
Beginning January 1, 2014 employers are required to withhold 0.001% from the taxable wage base of $31,500. This is the same wage upon which the withholding for unemployment compensation and temporary disability insurance is based . The taxable wage base changes each year. Employers do not contribute to the program. Visit the website for the Division of Employer Accounts for information regarding the withholding and remitting of contributions.

But that .001% might cost you a billion dollars in 30 years.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Don't pay for it? I see deductions each week coming out of my check. If that isn't a tax, I don't know what one is.

My wife and I are expecting our first child soon, and we have several appointments before the baby comes that will require me to take days off to make the needed appointments. Can I begin the FMLA and use single days when required to make said appointments?

Apply, or change your FMLA elective, to INTERMITTENT and you will be able to take the time needed in increments as few as minutes. You can also start late, leave early, or request an 8 hour day and leave after to attend to your FMLA needs.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Apply, or change your FMLA elective, to INTERMITTENT and you will be able to take the time needed in increments as few as minutes. You can also start late, leave early, or request an 8 hour day and leave after to attend to your FMLA needs.

Perfect, I'll have to use that when I call in to HR on Monday to set it up.

InsideScoop

You should apply for an Intermittent FMLA case to care for you spouse. Basically it will allow you to take periodic days off each month to either take her the doctor or assist her if she's ill due to the pregnancy. Once the baby is born, you can then apply for FMLA to Bond with you child for however long you choose. Depending on your hours worked, you may qualify for Fed FMLA which = 12 weeks or if UPS administered UPS FMLA-Like which is just 6 weeks and is typically offered to Part Time Employees.

InsideScoop

NJ has paid Family leave. We all pay for it. How much of out taxes are being wasted on government to fund this mess? Do we have facts on who exactly takes advantage of this program?
From what I've seen... It appears expecting mothers/women who've just had a baby are the primary ones who benefit from it... Other than that, it's merely state run FMLA lol

InsideScoop

You should apply for an Intermittent FMLA case to care for you spouse. Basically it will allow you to take periodic days off each month to either take her the doctor or assist her if she's ill due to the preg . Once the baby is born, you can then apply for FMLA to Bond with you child for however long you choose. Depending on your hours worked, you may qualify for Fed FMLA which = 12 weeks or if UPS administered UPS FMLA-Like which is just 6 weeks and is typically offered to Part Time Employees.
Pardon all the grammatical hours

You should apply for an Intermittent FMLA case to care for you spouse. Basically it will allow you to take periodic days off each month to either take her the doctor or assist her if she's ill due to the preg . Once the baby is born, you can then apply for FMLA to Bond with you child for however long you choose. Depending on your hours worked, you may qualify for Fed FMLA which = 12 weeks or if UPS administered UPS FMLA-Like which is just 6 weeks and is typically offered to Part Time Employees.

He can handle both mother and coming child in one application. It will cover all needs before and after the birth.