Any retired drivers returning for peak?

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Some don't have a life. Some do it for the extra money. A retired package car driver coming back was told he would have a strictly residential route with a jumper all day. He does not even have to get out of the truck.

An extra $6000 in his pocket. That would buy a lot of Christmas presents or a nice vacation. Personally, unless I was hard up for money, there ain't no way in hell I would do it.

Except the 6k part. That is my peak. Only time I get off is for lunch break at around 2 pm

Nimnim

The Nim
I can understand coming back for a nice paycheck knowing that no matter how much you screw up the worst they'd do is tell you to go back to retirement. I'm still too young, but I can see myself looking for something to do and knowing the consequences are next to nothing I'd take the extra pay with no responsibility past my conscience towards the customers.

What a person does when they come back determines how stupid they are.

raceanoncr

I hear a couple P/C drivers came back, some "ties" and, at least, one feeder driver. I know the feeder driver. He's kinda complanin they are giving him crap jobs. "OH, REALLY!!!!!"

Said before, "Not me". "Only" spent 32 years there, 30 in feeders. Here, this time of year CAN be one of the worst for weather. Don't wanna do that again.

Phone ID has shown up "Unavailable, Unknown" several times. Don't answer. They don't leave message. When I was on sleeper and they'd call for extra, this is what always showed up. Am THINKING it's them calling to come back. Don't care. Still won't answer.

oldupsman

All right I confess. I would have thought about it at least. I've turned into
a gym rat and can honestly say I'm in better shape now than when I retired. I was just curious about
whether I could still do the job or not. But they didn't call me. Guess I was
a bigger slug than I thought.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I personally wouldn't do it. I could find plenty of things to do with myself once I retire, including finding a job elsewhere while UPS pays me $4100 a month just to keep breathing.

This does present something of a curious situation though. What if one of these re-hired retired drivers comes back and screws up something terrible? Any chance they could go after their pension?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I personally wouldn't do it. I could find plenty of things to do with myself once I retire, including finding a job elsewhere while UPS pays me $4100 a month just to keep breathing.

This does present something of a curious situation though. What if one of these re-hired retired drivers comes back and screws up something terrible? Any chance they could go after their pension?
No. At least not at the present time. Once you're vested, after 5 years, they cannot take anything away. Not saying it won't change in the future.

What if you get hurt? Can you draw comp and pension at the same time???

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No. At least not at the present time. Once you're vested, after 5 years, they cannot take anything away. Not saying it won't change in the future.

What if you get hurt? Can you draw comp and pension at the same time???

Even if it were intentional?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I can understand coming back for a nice paycheck knowing that no matter how much you screw up the worst they'd do is tell you to go back to retirement. I'm still too young, but I can see myself looking for something to do and knowing the consequences are next to nothing I'd take the extra pay with no responsibility past my conscience towards the customers.

What a person does when they come back determines how stupid they are.
Thing is, you have to to enjoy doing other things in life after retirement like hobbies or starting your own business or traveling or whatever that person enjoys doing in life. If your a boringasczz your wasting time doing nothing and may feel the need to come back. Never happen here, I might miss some of the guys at work, but I guarantee you 1 dam thing, we'll be boys and hang out after retirement, that much I know and that's guaranteed for real lol.

By The Book

UPS cut a deal with the Teamsters to make this an exception.
Which the teamsters should never have allowed. I think they can work but there may be restrictions on hours worked so it doesn't affect the pension. Maybe a retired driver can chime in and tell us how it works.