Any scavengers out there?

PeasAndCarrots

Maybe it's due to me only driving 3-5 days a week right now as a CD and supporting a wife with 2 kids but when I see something like this on the curb, I can't pass it up. I asked the owner if I could swing by after work and boom, a ton of good lumber.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393045496.384371.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Maybe it's due to me only driving 3-5 days a week right now as a CD and supporting a wife with 2 kids but when I see something like this on the curb, I can't pass it up. I asked the owner if I could swing by after work and boom, a ton of good lumber. View attachment 11330

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Made this from pallets I found on my route.
image.jpg

Total cost was about 10 nails and about 2 hours.

They are doing a ton of home building in my area and I've found shoe moulding and door casing (just replaced my back door with French doors) for free.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I make $70K/year and still pick up stuff I see on the side of the road, whether on the clock or not. I picked up a nice set of Martha Stewart Living patio furniture on area. The homeowner lived at the end of a cul-de-sac and had put them out by the curb. Loaded them in to the pkg car and unloaded them when I went home for break.

My son has a vacuum cleaner that someone had put out by the curb. All it needed was a good cleaning---it was clogged really badly---and a new filter. It's nothing I would use in my home but it is perfect for his college housing.

SmithBarney

Lots of good stuff, this year I've picked up enough cut firewood to keep the house toasty on the really cold nights. I've also found ammo, tools, and yesterday I found a Gerber(knockoff) multitool.

Z

ZQXC

I am the anti-scavenger; I am purposely disposing of things that I don't use on a regular basis.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am the anti-scavenger; I am purposely disposing of things that I don't use on a regular basis.

We have a couple of locals who drive around all day looking for stuff to pickup along the side of the road. I can put something out by the street in the morning and know that it will be gone by the time I come home for break.

"One man's trash is another man's treasure". Upstate

Z

ZQXC

Scavengers can easily cross that threshold where they become
owned by things. I have reached a stage of life where less really is more. De-clutter and then organize the remains for real contentment.

I once found a dog on my area. I went back and found her. She was my dog for another 12 years until her kidneys shut down. It devastated me. She was my best friend. I found her because I worked at ups and she was the gift of a lifetime. Thanks God

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Some stuff like scrap metal, old A/C units, etc, can make some bucks.

Some guys buy used cars and try to flip them. The key is buying at the right price.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Some of the best treasures I have found have been right here in my condo complex. I am continually amazed at some of the stuff these people throw out. Sometimes I will carry the stuff that I can't use out to the curb (scavengers aren't allowed on property) but other times I will keep the stuff for myself.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I make $70K/year and still pick up stuff I see on the side of the road, whether on the clock or not. I picked up a nice set of Martha Stewart Living patio furniture on area. The homeowner lived at the end of a cul-de-sac and had put them out by the curb. Loaded them in to the pkg car and unloaded them when I went home for break.

My son has a vacuum cleaner that someone had put out by the curb. All it needed was a good cleaning---it was clogged really badly---and a new filter. It's nothing I would use in my home but it is perfect for his college housing.

You shouldn't be using UPS's vehicles to carry your stuff. That's a big no-no.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You shouldn't be using UPS's vehicles to carry your stuff. That's a big no-no.

Hell, Sober puts livestock in the back of his---why can't I put a couple of pieces of patio furniture in mine?

I once put a wood chipper that I borrowed from a customer in the back of the truck to bring home.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I once found an Art Deco waterfall armoire someone had put at the curb. Beautiful piece of furniture. Loaded it in my truck. I was talking to a customer a few stops later and she wanted to pay me $100 for it. It was so musty I had to air it out for a while.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
Hell, Sober puts livestock in the back of his---why can't I put a couple of pieces of patio furniture in mine?

I once put a wood chipper that I borrowed from a customer in the back of the truck to bring home.

Just to be safe, let your management team know and I don't think they'd have a problem with it. If you were to get into some type of accident with personal items in the truck you'd be in big trouble.

I know you were making a joke, but they are UPS's vehicles and you know how they get with their stuff.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Not really. I don't have any need for empty beer cans, used syringes, or cigarette butts.

I make $90,000 a year. I'll just buy what I need, thanks.

Last edited:

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I once found a dog on my area. I went back and found her. She was my dog for another 12 years until her kidneys shut down. It devastated me. She was my best friend. I found her because I worked at ups and she was the gift of a lifetime. Thanks God
Rescues make the best dogs.

Curious. Have you ever found a load of firewood & taken that home too?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
your a good man,,that dog was blessed to be rescued !!!