Any tips for a future hopeful courier?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Mountaineer, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Mountaineer

Mountaineer New Member

Hey guys. I'm currently living in the Baltimore area and I'm in the Air Force. I should have about 3 years left on my enlistment before I would like to move home to West Virginia with my wife. That being said...

...between now and then is there anything I can do to benefit myself and increase my chances of becoming a UPS courier? My current USAF job won't really benefit me as I'm in the intelligence industry but I'm just not interested in it. I would rather do real work then sit on my butt behind a computer all day like I am now. If there are any tips or tricks you guys would share with me I would really appreciate it.

2. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

Learn how to use google to search forums.

Seriously consider another career.

You are welcome.

3. YouKnowWhoIam

YouKnowWhoIam Banned

First thing Id do is have second thoughts...........

4. Just Numbers

Just Numbers Retired

I guess the first thing needed is to research company slang. UPS does not have couriers!

5. Jarod Springman

Jarod Springman New Member

do you have to have haz-mat endorsement to get hired? does ups have trainers that can help? Looking for something to get my foot in the door.

6. superballs63

superballs63 Well-Known Troll Troll

yes, no, a shoe?

7. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Mountaineer, I am prior military (8 yrs USAF) and being a veteran did help me get hired.

That being said, exhaust all other options first. Dave.

Are you stationed at Andrews?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  8. 728ups

728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

go to upsjobs.com ,select your area and see which hubs are hiring. be advised: if you get hired as a part timer you will have to work your way thru the seniority list to get full time. in many areas this can take 10 years

9. DorkHead

DorkHead Active Member

Go to school on the GI Bill. Try to get in part time with UPS for the bennys. You have 3 yrs. to think about it.

10. 1LadyInBrown

1LadyInBrown New Member

YES! As I see the newbies standing at the entrance, I wanna scream.. Run for your life! Save yourself!!! :funny: