any tips on picking up the pace as preloader?

clear

i would like to increase the pace that i'm working but im not sure which methods work for me. got any tips or pointers. maybe i just need to get use to working for ups but only time can tell.

i would like to increase the pace that i'm working but im not sure which methods work for me. got any tips or pointers. maybe i just need to get use to working for ups but only time can tell.

Work as safe as you possibly can and don't worry about your production.

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
I believe it all comes down to experience! The more you do it, the better you will become.

If you load the same trucks day after day, then ask your drivers what you could do to make it a better load for them. (For Gods sake, face the labels out and/or towards the front of the package car). Me being a cover driver, I load the truck the way I would want it loaded.

konsole

- use the corners of the truck for youir bulk stops and largest packages. If a stop is getting 50 pieces and is labeled for 4100 and another stop is only getting 5 pieces and is labeled for 4000 then move the 4000 stop out and load the 4100 stop in the corner. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of filling in the corners of the truck first.
- don't be afraid to use all shelves and the floor for a heavy stop and move the other packages in the area out of the way.
- don't worry about facing the PAL labels out for every package especially when its a bulk stop with 25 pieces were once the driver sees one of the boxes he knows the other 24 are right there, even if their labels arent facing out. Having PAL labels facing out on every package is ideal but not really necessary for bulk stops and other "easily recognizable" packages.
- try loading smaller packages up against the inside edge of the shelves and then as the day goes on load the packages on the lip of the shelf. This is so you dont have any wasted space behind the lip loaded packages.
- stack a large package behind each truck so that you can use those packages as tables to stack smaller packages during heavy times and you dont have to lift the packages off the floor. Many people will say you should never stack packages but your gonna have to and getting use to when to stack and then when to load those packages is very beneficial.
- make sure the door between the cab and the shelves area is open so you get some air circulation in the truck and any kicked up dirt or dust doesnt just mingle.
- go up the belt a little ways and sort your packages together so you might be able to pick up more then 1 small box for a truck at a time.
- do the best you can to find a good spot for irregular packages but if you can't find a good spot then leave it out, either under the belt, or between the trucks, until the end of the day or until a good spot presents itself, but don't load one of these packages during the shift if its going to black your ability to get in and out of the truck.

UPSGUY72

Just take your time and get the right package in the right car and right location. No one can really tell you how to increase pace it just takes time. Remember your not in a race there is no prize for the fast loader.

Rebrak24

just because it is a big box doesnt mean it has to be loaded last. use common sense and do not fully rely on the label. and dont block the bulkhead door. dont load 30 boxes in the middle of the floor and leave wheel wells vacant. dont load copy paper 10 boxes high. dont be scared to load a hazmat. dont toss envelopes to the front of the truck. dont be lazy. you take care of the driver and the driver might not rat on your misloads.

browniehound

Just take your time and get the right package in the right car and right location. No one can really tell you how to increase pace it just takes time. Remember your not in a race there is no prize for the fast loader.

I agree here. Work at a pace that allows you to produce zero misloads. Just follow the methods and if you never misload they will leave you alone. Why do you want to pick up the pace and finish 10 minutes earlier? You get paid by the hour, just don't misload. Think about it:if you misload 1 2-day air package that becomes missed it can cost UPS anywhere from $20 to hundreds of $$ in lost revenue(what does it cost to send a 100lb package 2-day air to Hawaii??) when you only earn about $50 per day.

Do they want you to work faster to suck 25 cents out of you? Only for you to misload once or twice/day? I remember the old days when the pre-loaders had to memorize each load chart and every street on the pull. I very rarely got a misload under this system. Almost never. Now, I get at least one a day for the last 6 years.

I'm guessing its something UPS didn't plan on when they went to PAS and proclaimed "Now anyone can jump on a pull from anywhere else in the building and it takes a lot less time to train people". Yes, thats true, but now I get at least 1 misload a day when before I got maybe 3 every year. Sometimes, when I get a cover pre-load I get 4-7 misloads and packages on the wrong shelf. So much for not sorting!

No, UPSguy72, you can't fix stupid, but you can make it more stupid and thats what PAS did. Didn't it?

Norma

Do you have a business or a residential route? 3 or 4 cars? I think it does make a difference. UPS teaches a 1 size fits all method to loading trucks. It works for the majority of trucks but not for all.

To me PAL labels facing out is only important in the first hour or 2 to use as reference points. (If you really followed the 23 steps to loading a package, you would have been fired by now.) As someone else alluded to, don't waste any time with PAL labels on bulk stops.

Look at your manifest. Visually plan out what bulk stop will go where on the floor.

This is more tricky and could be a personal thing, but have a visual idea ahead of time of where your package is going. For example this 2100 package will fit nicely in the corner of the shelf of my #16 truck. If you get there and the scenery is different, you could be in the wrong package car. Another personal thing with me is that I can't talk and think at the same time. People yapping away the whole night have a higher number of missorts on average (fact).

Always, always, always be working as far up the belt as possible. If you are sorting packages behind your third car you are doomed.

jeffpatterson

Another personal thing with me is that I can't talk and think at the same time. People yapping away the whole night have a higher number of missorts on average (fact).

I agree with this. Thats why I find it ridiculous when the sup is going to yap at you about the 8 steps and what not every other week. Its hard to focus on safety when your trying to recite the keys.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It depends whether you are boxline to car, or belt to car. I get the feeling some haven't preloaded both (or even knew one or the other existed!)

Boxline to car during working sort - NEVER SORT CAGES. But always pull everything forward in cage. The sorters ruin them as the preload goes along so sorting isn't a good idea unless you are pulling them off. Pull all large/heavy packages before smaller ones. So next revolution you can clean house without the A/C or the pottery barn chair in your way.

Belt to car - you have to run. It's less systematic and more luck of the draw. If you get hit hard, it's impossible to keep up so take it in stride . I recommend stacking more for belt to car than boxline to car. Belt to car it's better to stack if necessary until things quiet down a little (hopefully they do), then you can load what you have in between.

And of course whether you are boxline or belt, optimum carries are the easiest way to get speed. What I do is put the packages in my hand in order of trucks. Low # on the bottom, highest on top. That way I don't have to fumble around with them in my hands. I know the bottom two are car #5, middle is #6 and top two are #7 and #8.

browned out

Don't worry so much about the speed of your loading. The accuracy is much more important. On average I have 1 or 2 misloads a day on my car and it takes anywhere from 20 minutes to 40 minutes to notify center and deliver these misloads. Costs UPS about $175-$250 dollars a week to deliver these misloads which is more than most preloaders make in a week.

Accuracy is king.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Get completely coked out of your mind before you head into work and you will be hell on wheels. No one will be able to keep up with you.