Any tips to get out of mud?

porkwagon

I 1989 when I was a rookie driver I got stuck on someones front yard. I veered off the wet leaf covered driveway. I made a big mess of the yard too. I walked to a nearby pizza shop to call the office. My manager sent a mechanic with a package car and a tow chain to pull me out. He asked me if they were home and if anyone else saw what I did. He then said to retrieve the package and get the hell out of there. We were never there. LOL! Ah! The old days!

35years

Gravy route
My on car was demonstrating "safe driving" on a ride along. I knew the driveway circle turn around was too tight for my package car, but he didn't. Snow covered the driveway and the waterlogged grass. I pointed out the ruts he left when we returned to the car. I said we need to call it in. He said that is not an accident... and proceeded to kick snow over the ruts. A week earlier we had just had a PCM about calling in any ruts left in lawns.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Portable Tow Truck strips, they are quick and work in mud and ice.
Every center should supply them, or at least automotive...ours does.
They have saved UPS countless road calls.
41rY6BorkvL.jpg
61K5cHS2hrL._SL1000_.jpg
portable-tow-truck-an-emergency-tire-traction-strip-178.jpg
I wish our center had these!

johnny_hotdog

In my experience, by the time you realize that you shouldn't be driving down that road it's too late. If you stop you're gonna get stuck so you just keep going and hope for the best. I will say I have used dried up corn stocks from a field nearby to help get unstuck before.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I did this once. Had to get pulled out. Left were two huge holes full of water where the wheels were!

Star B

White Lightening
Rule #1 - If the USPS doesn't go down the rural road, theres probably a reason for it
Rule #2 - Bring a pair of those portable tow trucks. Those work niiice.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
We had a driver get stuck out in the country once and a farmer pulled him out in his tractor. No harm, no foul, right? Well, a few days passed and the farmer called ups wanting to know who in the hell was going to pay him for the damage to his ditch? Driver got called into the office wanting to know why he didn't report this "accident?"

Dr.Brownz

In my experience, by the time you realize that you shouldn't be driving down that road it's too late. If you stop you're gonna get stuck so you just keep going and hope for the best. I will say I have used dried up corn stocks from a field nearby to help get unstuck before.

I always use the hint of doubt rule.

If I think even for a second that the road conditions might be bad, I don't go. If management gets pissed they can suck a lemon, I'll ECD the whole truck if I have too.

Last edited by a moderator: