any word of this dhl..."merger??"

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Does anyone know if ups is still going through with it. There was talk earier about dhl leaving the us for good? Does anyone know anything?

pretzel_man

Does anyone know if ups is still going through with it. There was talk earier about dhl leaving the us for good? Does anyone know anything?

There was no DHL "merger".

There is a proposed contract where UPS will move DHL packages in our air network. Its being debated in congress...

I'm betting it will be approved.

P-Man

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I also believe it will be approved primarily because it is not a merger. If it were a proposed merger it would be dead on arrival due to the anti-competitive nature of such a deal. The fact that we are basically being paid ($1B/year) to fly their air cans is a pretty sweet deal.

got a buddy who works for DHL he said at their contract time(some are Teamsters) there was a rumor that Fedex was buying them. He said they are really hurting, laying folks off.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Except their US based international sales people. Everyone else got shown the door. They will be out of the domestic air and ground game soon.

Seems they are already out of domestic air and ground in some areas. Customers are calling in to DHL for a pickup and no driver shows up. Don't know how widespread this is.

SmithBarney

DHL recently stopped regular daily service to some of the outlying areas
near me, (now they are going once or twice a week)
FedEx Account reps are already transitioning existing DHL customers
(as I'm sure UPS reps are as well)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Seems that not too long ago UPS considered DHL the scum of delivery companies, now they wish to get in bed with them...

It's called revenue and with our stock at $51.70 we can't afford to turn our noses up at anything.

On a side note, I am watching the Today show and they are talking about a possible merger between GM and Chrysler, something you never would have heard about until the Dow decided to freefall.