Any Word On PT Air Driver in 43st Manhattan ?

siredline09

I was laid off Fri Oct 13, 2010 for 1 month and came back last week of November, this lay off was 3 days b4 they were allowed to bring in driver helpers. Me and the 17 other drivers that got laid off in the building keep hearing different rumors about our Position being taking away by FT drivers or I also hear from people that they heard 'changes are on the way' so does anybody know what my future is with the company. also they still have some air drivers doing preload with the same air pay what is their future??

JonFrum

ARTICLE 40. AIR OPERATION
Section 1 - Air Drivers
(a) Air driver work shall consist of delivery and pickup of air packages which, because of time and customer commitments, cannot be reasonably performed by regular package drivers.

JonFrum

We don't know the particulars of your situation, but in general, Air Driver work should be done by full-time Package Car Drivers or full-time Article 22.3 Air drivers. Part-timers are to be used only when full-timers can't reasonably get the job done, like when there are late arriving aircraft, or perhaps for work on weekends and holidays.

If you are a regularly scheduled Air Driver, you should probably not have been hired into that position in the first place. I believe someone eventually blew the whistle nationally, and so the Article 40 language is now being enforced.

We don't know the particulars of your situation, but in general, Air Driver work should be done by full-time Package Car Drivers or full-time Article 22.3 Air drivers. Part-timers are to be used only when full-timers can't reasonably get the job done, like when there are late arriving aircraft, or perhaps for work on weekends and holidays.

If you are a regularly scheduled Air Driver, you should probably not have been hired into that position in the first place. I believe someone eventually blew the whistle nationally, and so the Article 40 language is now being enforced.
That's how it is in my barn.

siredline09

I have done grounds everyday including del EAM NDA GROUNDS, I have done FT Routes many times I mean they used us For Everything but out of nowhere now we are in trouble of getting our work mainly EAM NDA taken away from us Now we are not doing grounds because of helpers since they are more affordable to use then we are and i had managers tell me when late airs come in they have the right to let sups handle our work since there is no language on them not being able to do it, so i was hired 4 years ago you telling me they can just kick us to the curb after all the favors we would do to management like not having to pay us grounds for air rate.

I have done grounds everyday including del EAM NDA GROUNDS, I have done FT Routes many times I mean they used us For Everything but out of nowhere now we are in trouble of getting our work mainly EAM NDA taken away from us Now we are not doing grounds because of helpers since they are more affordable to use then we are and i had managers tell me when late airs come in they have the right to let sups handle our work since there is no language on them not being able to do it, so i was hired 4 years ago you telling me they can just kick us to the curb after all the favors we would do to management like not having to pay us grounds for air rate.
The favors you are talking about are violations of the contract. If you are handling ground you should be
Paid top package driver wage. Any favors that you do for these guys is just business to them. Your part-time and that's it your the first to feel the pinch.

air_dr

It is my understanding, Siredeline010, you have and will have a job at UPS regardless of what the company may do with your particular air route or even all air routes. If there is no air route for you to run, you can either go full time when there is an opening, if you wish to do so and have the seniority, or you can go work in the building.

Over the years, I have had to endure various changes, and it helps to be flexible. If you are told you are not needed as an air driver for some period of time, ask to be given work to do in the building. That is what I have done in the past. In my case, the hub sups both needed and were grateful for an extra worker. If you should be told there is nothing for you, pursue the matter with different managers or a union person. And...I hope these words will be received in the spirit they are intended - some people have been kind of harsh with you on this forum...work on communicating your needs and thoughts clearly. On some of your posts, some separate ideas and sentences are all run together. In general, the better a communicator you are, the more seroiusly people will take you.

Please keep us posted on your situation. As my user name suggests, I am an air driver (PM), so I would be interested in any changes that come your way.

air_dr

I would like to get a contract issue clarified. Some of the posts on this thread have raised questions in my mind. Being an air driver, these issues concern me for good reason.

Here is the relevant Article 40 language for everyone's consideration:

(a) Air driver work shall consist of delivery and pickup of air packages
which, because of time and customer commitments, cannot be
reasonably performed by regular package drivers. Such work may
include:
(1) Delivery of air packages which the regular delivery drivers cannot
deliver within guaranteed time commitments.
(2) Delivery of air packages arriving at the facility after regular
drivers have been dispatched.
(3) Delivery and pick up of air packages on weekends and holidays.
(4) On Call Air pickups.
(5) Pick up at air counters and drop boxes.
(6) Additional late air pickups.
(7) Air drivers may, on an exception basis, be used to make service
on packages which are not air packages.
(8) Delivery of early AM Packages.
(9) Movement of air packages to airports and other locations such
as service centers, UPS buildings and driver meet points.

Two questions I guess:

First of all, does the the language imply that the work described in items (1) through (9), since it falls under the wording of letter (a) mean that all those nine tasks listed should preferably go to a full timer?

Second, if the answer to the above is "yes," what is the threshold of reasonable? Other than running off excess NDAs, which in many, but not all, centers truly could not be done by FT's before the advertised commit time, all the other stuff, as I see it, (even Sat deliveries) could be done by FT's if the comapny paid certain drivers OT. Such an interpreatation of the language hardly leaves any work for air drivers!

Of course, this is not an interpretation I am advocating. I like my air driver job. I just want to know how senior management and union officials understand this language.

Last edited: