Anybody Drive the New p700 without dual rear wheels?

mittam

I drove new truck a few days while axle was replaced on my 700. I actually like it and had no problems in the rain we had those days. One day was about 2 inches of rain no problems. The mirrors being a lot lower were a little hard to get used to but helped when I hit a few tree lined lanes. Found out quickly I didn't have to pull mirrors in for the tree limbs hanging down. Also like the fact as stated earlier that you can back all the way to the dock and open doors instead of stopping then finishing back after opening doors.And of course the automatic and power steering always help.

satellitedriver

The pocket doors are nice for backing up to docks. So you don't have to stop, open you doors, then finish backing. But, they are more narrow and can be awkward with the ever growing package size. (have you delivered the QVC recliners?)

Have you all delivered a "Portable Grand Piano"? Comes in three boxes and isn't so portable. First one for me yesterday. I was extra careful with it because I didn't want to pick it back up.

outta hours

After 2 days I have found that it really does drive nice. Those rough gravel country roads seem so smooth now. Power wise it's ok the speed limit to my area is 70mph. It will do about 73 mph. Not bad for a four banger. A little more narrow than my old 700 but I think otherwise it will be a good car. The low mirrors are a bit strange at first. I like the air vent in the top of the cab that allows you to direct outside air onto you. Almost feels like a/c. Sure is quiet barely can hear it at 30 mph or at idle. Sure beats that P600 I started in 21 peaks ago.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
I have had one for about 2 weeks and, overall, I like it. The turning radius sucks, though. I am used to the International p-7oo's that will "turn on a dime". This new Freightliner takes 2 lanes to make a right turn out of a driveway! Left turns in a culdesac aren't as tight either.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have had one for about 2 weeks and, overall, I like it. The turning radius sucks, though. I am used to the International p-7oo's that will "turn on a dime". This new Freightliner takes 2 lanes to make a right turn out of a driveway! Left turns in a culdesac aren't as tight either.

I drove a new one Monday, and was glad to get my one year old P7 back. The new one is narrower, and is easier to go into long driveways, and the brushguards on the mirrors are a nice touch. But my regular P7 is a little shorter and turns sharper, and has a five speed automatic compared to the four speed on the new one. I don't use the rear doors much, a lot of drivers complain about the pocket doors a lot. I made the mistake of leaving the key in the lock the first time I opened them, almost broke the key off. :blushing:

SmithBarney

Wait for the snow, we have 8-9 in the lineup and all the drivers came back after our first snow as white as snow... (these are all seasoned guys)

Now if you want a real treat take a P300 out for a ride.. (or P3 not sure 313XXX is the prefix) Good grief they suck.

EAM_Master

Part-Time'er for Life!
Now if you want a real treat take a P300 out for a ride.. (or P3 not sure 313XXX is the prefix) Good grief they suck.

Not nearly as bad as an old P500. The P300's feel kinda tippy, but are a lot lower and more stable. They have a limitied slip rear end, so they spin awesome dounuts:lol:

Megansman

Wait for the snow, we have 8-9 in the lineup and all the drivers came back after our first snow as white as snow... (these are all seasoned guys)

The P300's here actually play music as you drive... and kids come running thinking it's an ice cream truck...

brown67

Should be better in snow than dual wheels. Better to have weight on two wheels than 4. You don't want weight spread out.

Worst truck I've driven on snow is an automatic p700. Couldn't turn it on a flat cul-de-sac with less than an inch of snow. Had new tires too. Get it stuck and you can't rock it out, because the transmission won't let you shift back forth quick. It has an inhibitor on it. Can't back it up with snow or ice, because the back end slides sideways. If there is mud forget it.

I have a p700 stick and its a lot better in the snow and ice. Still have to be careful in mud, but at least you can rock it out.

aspenleaf

brown67 ~ do you use sand bags in your truck? I have only seen one driver do this and the bags break open and make a mess but he says they help.

DS

Fenderbender
this is confusing...so many new cars...
Today I got a brand new p7 ...the ones that start
with 66XXX...its a freightliner chassis
thats assembled in Indiana
it has a cummins diesel engine
It has the barn doors that you have to open
and back up again.
I felt like I did half a day today after driving a p800
for 18 years.My sup said enjoy it its worth about $90,000.

browndevil

and back up again.
I have been driving one since March. It is like driving a couch. Enjoy:happy2:

outamyway

and back up again.

It's too bad those 800's will still be in circulation for another 10 years.

New Englander

Does'nt snow much here so we are not equipped for it. Have seen several drivers fired for accidents that happend when it did. No one here is open if we get one inch. What's the point 4 hrs. to area 4 hrs. back. 2 Hrs sheeting up closed. Which I have done in the past. I'm saving the company money by not coming in. That's what option day's are for.

Nope it's called being a big baby. I'm sure your fellow drivers love it when you do.

Big Babooba

I drive one of the new p700's . I have yet to have any problems with it. It drives fine in the rain, no snow yet. The doors take some getting use too. I have drove a lot worst, like some of the old 550's
I've driven one and didn't like it. the rear "elevator doors" jam up easily and sometimes freeze up in the winter. They are terrible in the snow. They also have a greater turning radius which makes it harder to get out of tight spots.