Anybody Drive the New p700 without dual rear wheels?

haydendavid380

is property of UPS
this is confusing...so many new cars...
Today I got a brand new p7 ...the ones that start
with 66XXX...its a freightliner chassis
thats assembled in Indiana
it has a cummins diesel engine
It has the barn doors that you have to open
and back up again.
I felt like I did half a day today after driving a p800
for 18 years.My sup said enjoy it its worth about $90,000.

My dad drives one, 660555. He seems to like it over his old P7. First time I went to load one I fell on my face. Wasn't used to the one foot step up into the back. If you guys still want a picture, I can take one tomorrow.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Should be better in snow than dual wheels. Better to have weight on two wheels than 4. You don't want weight spread out.
Its a hell of a lot easier to chain up duallies that single rear wheels..if you have duallies all you do is put a block of wood in front of the inside wheel and drive up onto it. This brings the outside wheel up off the ground and you can just wrap your chains around it, tighten up and go instead of having to lay the chains out in front and drive onto them.

New Englander

Its a hell of a lot easier to chain up duallies that single rear wheels..if you have duallies all you do is put a block of wood in front of the inside wheel and drive up onto it. This brings the outside wheel up off the ground and you can just wrap your chains around it, tighten up and go instead of having to lay the chains out in front and drive onto them.

Single wheeled vehicles will go better in the snow then the double wheeled ones.
There is a limit that the duals will cut into the snow when they are still floating on those unchained inner wheels.

That is why the P500 is regarded as probably the best snow vehicle with chains on it.

I do like that block idea! Lol...don't know why none of us figured that one out.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I guess you never watched a mechanic change a flat outside tire on a tractor or trailer! The mechanics have to hide their blocks of wood cause they are not OHSA approved.

Pip

We have both of the single rear wheeled cars in the center. Haven't heard too much negative feedback about the p57 or the p700. Other then in the wintertime the guys don't like the single wheel on the ice and snow. We have been having problems with the p57's, a lot of campaign's to fix stuff on them.

One thing that is probably going to be a problem down the road on these cars is the back doors are going to be a headache keeping them aligned. From a mechanic standpoint their a pain in the butt. Once in a while small packages fall behind the doors out of sight and don't get delivered. one package turned up a month later when i was doing a PMI on one and happened to spot a package sticking behind there.

Not really sure these newer cars will last 20+ years.Most of them seem like there built cheap. Time will tell i guess.

New Englander

Nothing goes good on the ice. :)

I will be getting a block of wood and cutting it to make a ramp for this winter :) I'm sure
I'll be in an old p7.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Have you all delivered a "Portable Grand Piano"? Comes in three boxes and isn't so portable. First one for me yesterday. I was extra careful with it because I didn't want to pick it back up.
Had 1 recently.Laid down on it for lunch break.Fell asleep.Didn't wan't to deliver it(would be good for a daily nap) but it was taking up too much room.(I drive a p57) And of course it went to the 4th floor of an apartment house.(The 1st one was damaged so I had to pick up the 1st one and deliver another.At least I gat another nap out of it)

We have quite a few of those p-700 XD single rear wheels cars here in central Florida. They go through tires every 10,000 miles and the mirrors are now mailbox height so be careful driving. Also they have a drop frame in the rear, the floor is no longer flat from bulkhead to rear. They also leak like crazy during hard rains. what do you expect UPS only buys quality vehicles!!

yuhjnm

yuhjnm
can someone post a picture of new 700 without dual rear wheels the only truck i know of that has elevator like doors is this sprinter my building has 2 # 570XXX but it has dual rear wheels and a remote to open the side door yes keyless entry to the cargo area we also have the dhl like sprinter single rear wheel we also have the new 700 workhorse and freighterliner all have dual rear wheels

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
this is confusing...so many new cars...
Today I got a brand new p7 ...the ones that start
with 66XXX...its a freightliner chassis
thats assembled in Indiana
it has a cummins diesel engine
It has the barn doors that you have to open
and back up again.
I felt like I did half a day today after driving a p800
for 18 years.My sup said enjoy it its worth about $90,000.

Well DS,
Congratulations on your new ride. You will love this car compared to the P800 you suffered in for so long. The name for these is a "P70D New Generation", its on a metal name plate on the bulkhead behind the driver's seat. Your left foot will get a lot of rest with that automatic, and your right arm won't get such a workout from the shifter. The power steering is great, but your legs and feet will appreciate that low step in and out of the cab the most.

soberups

Well DS,
Congratulations on your new ride. You will love this car compared to the P800 you suffered in for so long. The name for these is a "P70D New Generation", its on a metal name plate on the bulkhead behind the driver's seat. Your left foot will get a lot of rest with that automatic, and your right arm won't get such a workout from the shifter. The power steering is great, but your legs and feet will appreciate that low step in and out of the cab the most.
And most critical of all, it has a 3-point seatbelt and a high backed seat that will actually protect the driver, unlike the 800's with only a lap belt that were designed to allow the drivers head to be propelled at high speed into and thru the windshield....all to save UPS a few bucks.

brett636

We have 4 of those trucks that I know of. I've driven them on occasion and while I have never had the brakes lock up on me I will say they absolutely suck in the snow. The only time I've been stuck in the snow was in one of those trucks. The sad thing was it was a small mound of snow that was keeping me from moving forward, and I couldn't back up because this was right after I unloaded at our air dock.

New Englander

We have 4 of those trucks that I know of. I've driven them on occasion and while I have never had the brakes lock up on me I will say they absolutely suck in the snow. The only time I've been stuck in the snow was in one of those trucks. The sad thing was it was a small mound of snow that was keeping me from moving forward, and I couldn't back up because this was right after I unloaded at our air dock.

I've been stuck in just about all of our vehicles at one point or another. Since we do a lot of snow driving. We would welcome the single rear wheel set ups.

soberups

UPS should consider installing air locking rear differentials on at least some of the cars that deliver mountainous or snowy areas. They would offer the better handling of an open diff, with the on-demand traction capability of a locker. I know I have gotted stuck enough times in mud and snow that an air locker would have more than paid for itself in tow bills.

And most critical of all, it has a 3-point seatbelt and a high backed seat that will actually protect the driver, unlike the 800's with only a lap belt that were designed to allow the drivers head to be propelled at high speed into and thru the windshield....all to save UPS a few bucks.

I believe that pulling a TP60 at 70mph is much more dangerous than a lap belt.

soberups

I believe that pulling a TP60 at 70mph is much more dangerous than a lap belt.
It is basically impossible to pull a pup trailer that fast. I have pulled one every day for 14 years, and the package car hasn't yet been made with the power to get up to 70 with a trailer. I suppose it could be done going downhill, but certainly not on level ground.