Anybody Drive the New p700 without dual rear wheels?

It is basically impossible to pull a pup trailer that fast. I have pulled one every day for 14 years, and the package car hasn't yet been made with the power to get up to 70 with a trailer. I suppose it could be done going downhill, but certainly not on level ground.

It can be done on level ground.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Heres some pics of the new P70D New Generation. The first one shows a first model late 90s P70 on the right, and the newest P7 on the left. Notice the new one is narrower, and the side mirrors are mounted lower. The second pic shows a rear view. Single rear tires with lug nuts sticking out of the wheel well, the pocket rear doors, and the lowered rear floor section.
IMG_0877.jpg
IMG_0887.jpg

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It can be done on level ground.
I would be interested to know what type of pkg car you drive that can pull a trailer that fast.
I have pulled a trailer with a P-800, a '96 International P7 with the Powerstroke, a '97 International with the Powerstroke, and now the new Freightliner with the automatic and 4cyl Mercedes motor. None of them will go that fast.

cino321

What a disaster. This company finally improves truck design from the 80's and now they go back to this single axle nonsense with the narrow rear door.

I wonder what the motivation is for the new design. The 700's they were producing prior to this were great, why they reverted to this I don't know.

I would be interested to know what type of pkg car you drive that can pull a trailer that fast.
I have pulled a trailer with a P-800, a '96 International P7 with the Powerstroke, a '97 International with the Powerstroke, and now the new Freightliner with the automatic and 4cyl Mercedes motor. None of them will go that fast.

The newer 1000 with power stearing (late 80's early 90's model) we use 2 to feed a remote center. One car is faster than the other. The other one hits top speed of about 65.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

we call drivers like you #&%! heads.

Another quality post--thank you so much for your solid contribution to this thread. You truly add to this forum and I await each and every post from you with baited breath as I know I will better myself personally and professionally as a result of your input. Again, thank you and keep up the good work.

brownrodster

I've been stuck in just about all of our vehicles at one point or another. Since we do a lot of snow driving. We would welcome the single rear wheel set ups.

My center got a bunch of these brand new 57's with single rear wheels to break in before they got shipped to Alaska a while back. Supposedly they get around in the snow very well...

tae111

I'm in feeders now but I was in package for 24 years. I always wondered why UPS didn't order posi rears for package cars in snowy areas. I delivered in North Jersey and we only got strap chains for getting un- stuck. No full wheel chains. Even after the roads were plowed that right wheel would just spin when you pulled out from making a stop. I had a International P700 stick. I was following a small US mail truck one day at a stop. We both pulled over to the curb to make a delivery. right wheel in the junk left wheel on the dry. The mail truck pulled right away. I had to back out of my tracks to get going. I saw him later and asked him about it and he said he had posi and loved it.

some1else

bad turning radius, and check the inside rear (where the pocket doors slide) letters and small flat (like amazon books) packages get stuck in there;

the first time i drove one i was checking it out and i found a 2DA with a PAL from 2 weeks prior stuck in the door track lol

brownrodster

They suck in the rain. The brakes are real touchy and lock up when wet. I`m sure it will be the same or worse in the snow
j

The single rear wheels are better in the snow. Our center tested out a bunch of small trucks with single rear wheels before they went to alaska.

mason575

the p7 you are getting doest turn as well as the old p7 at all. as a matter of fact I dont think it turns as well as the old crappie p8.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Something I discovered by accident... The new Workhorses have that constant, annoying beep, beep, beep when you turn it off and leave the lights on. Just tap the "trip" button for the odometer and it silences the beep until you turn it off the next time. The "mode" button does the same thing on some models.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
bad turning radius, and check the inside rear (where the pocket doors slide) letters and small flat (like amazon books) packages get stuck in there;

the first time i drove one i was checking it out and i found a 2DA with a PAL from 2 weeks prior stuck in the door track lol
We have 2 of these trucks that are on rural rtes. The mechanics have to get into the corners of those pocket doors every few months to clean out the built up dirt. If this is not done you can't open the doors all the way.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Something I discovered by accident... The new Workhorses have that constant, annoying beep, beep, beep when you turn it off and leave the lights on. Just tap the "trip" button for the odometer and it silences the beep until you turn it off the next time. The "mode" button does the same thing on some models.
O COOL! I will have to remember that. That beeping is very iritating. Now if I could somehow do away with the 4 way beeping life would be great.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Just don't use you're four-ways. duh???

after about 2 years with this package car I don't even hear the beeps any more. You just kind of get used to it. I tdrives my helper nuts though.