Anybody else getting complaints about the implementation of DIM weight change?

oldngray

nowhere special
stop_complaining.jpg

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I have noticed a lack of very large boxes on the truck. Makes it nice.

Although yesterday I delivered two fully put together stools in some big boxes. Gotta admitt made me feel a little better while I was fighting them all day knowing whoever it was got raped on shipping.

Brownslave688

Sad thing is they may not use us again. I guess the powers that be got tired of treating us operation dogs (both management and hourly) like crap that they branched out to include our customers.
Are you serious?

Who are they going to use? FedEx uses the same pricing structure as us.

While I do feel DIM needs to be adjusted downward slightly it's also how we should of been charging all along. It'll blow over in a few months as businesses make the necessary adjustments.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have noticed a lack of very large boxes on the truck. Makes it nice.

Although yesterday I delivered two fully put together stools in some big boxes. Gotta admitt made me feel a little better while I was fighting them all day knowing whoever it was got raped on shipping.
Sad thing is they may not use us again. I guess the powers that be got tired of treating us operation dogs (both management and hourly) like crap that they branched out to include our customers.
UPS is concerned about your safety and doesn't want you to struggle with those big boxes ... unless the shipper pays for it!

TUT

FedEx Express has been doing DIM pricing for a long time.

Both Ups and Fedex ground started just this year dim'ing under 3 cubic feet if Dim Wgt is greater than actual Wgt. IMO if one carrier didn't do it, the other couldn't. This along with USPS reducing rates up to 40lbs, it will be interesting.

I agree, the long standing want was heavy/dense packages, now they are all more equal by dim'ing, so smaller boxes are probably more beneficial running the #'s now, since those won't wear and tear their labor force as much, that is if both can keep the volume.

Some are getting new dims greater than then standard 166, others are getting flat out waivers. I do find it funny that perhaps the biggest culprit Amazon, probably the biggest single reason to do this, will almost assuredly get a higher dim divisor or a flat out waiver. What this means is they continue to grow, since their price remains unchanged and their competition, smaller has to pay dims, so they pass the higher price along to their customers. See what just happened there? :) USPS also play a role here with Amazon.

Interesting time.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You still have better pension benefits and the opportunity to retire at 55 you got to admit that.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I have a much better pension plan (Western Conference) than any supervisor hired in the last 10 years, and I will be eligible to retire when I am 50. Plus job security. Plus better benefits. Plus more vacations. Plus, I make more money and get paid for all the hours I work.

On the down side, I don't have a desk of my own.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
I got one from a small shipper. She is going to use the post office more often. If a lot of small shippers stop using us well more routes will be taken out and the senior drivers will be left working twice as hard.

Brownslave688

Lost one account already because of it.
To the post office I assume?

Here's the thing the consumer may just have to get over the fact that shipping isn't free.

I can remember looking at shipping and handling fees for stuff in the Sears catalog in late 80's and early 90's and it was usually close to or more than $20.

O/C

I have a much better pension plan (Western Conference) than any supervisor hired in the last 10 years, and I will be eligible to retire when I am 50. Plus job security. Plus better benefits. Plus more vacations. Plus, I make more money and get paid for all the hours I work.

Correct statement concerning management in the last ten years, but how are the managers with 25 or 35 years standing on their retirement. I agree Western Conference peer 80 is top of the food chain as far as union members, still it does not pay anywhere close to what senior management will be given. The early cheap MIP stock made most of them millions when they went public in the mid nineties not even counting that.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Catatonic

Nine Lives

But you have a PC.