Anybody ever break or lose a DIAD?

New Englander

In reading all of these.....do you guys not use the belt clips/bags?

I never leave the diad laying on a bumper/dock dash. It's always on it's clip on my belt or in the cab holster.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I never leave the diad laying on a bumper/dock dash. It's always on it's clip on my belt or in the cab holster.

I have never used the clip as I find them hard to work with. My hands are actually large enough where I can palm the DIAD (like a basketball) when I don't have pkgs and am always careful (after learning the hard way) to secure it when I do have pkgs.

Big Babooba

I broke a screen on one. Another driver dropped one while crossing a busy street. It was run over by a car. The plastic membrane over the keyboard was peeled off, but it still worked! These were both DIAD 1s which in itself is amazing that they still worked because if you looked at them cross eyed, they would die on you. We had another driver whose DIAD was stolen at a convenience store. He left it at the counter for the clerk to sign it while he got a soda. Another customer walked off with it. It was found about a year later in a river by a fisherman. After being dried off and recharged, it still worked! Nobody was required to make restitution.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

I dont use the clip or bag. I am a big guy and the clip digs into the top of my butt cheek when I am sitting in the driver seat, or else it catches on the side of the bulkhead door while I am trying to squeeze my fat ass through there with a package. I dont clip cellphones on my belt either, they wind up getting caught on things and breaking off. Clips and bags on belts work fine for thin people. I am not a thin people.

upsdude

The bag didn’t work for me, awkward and it gets in the way of the seat belt. I use the clip and keep a few stashed here and there.

rod

Retired 22 years
I really don't understand how UPS could make you pay for a damaged DIAD unless they have a witness that saw you purposely beating the crap out of one. Maybe if you threw it under your tires for traction when you got stuck they might have a case but I would even fight that. We had a driver throw his 2-wheeler under his duals and he didn't have to pay for it (They were a little p-off though):happy-very:

Hedley_Lamarr

I dropped mine the other day, and it stopped working. I called the center and was told to press A-K-X at the same time. It re-booted and started working again...Maybe I shouldn't look at my DIAD whilst driving 35 mph...

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
closed the back door on diad 1 cracked the screen!! was taken up to the commandant 's office and the c/m said "" how would you like it if I came to your house and broke your v.c.r""" are you shipping me i said to him!!! you are my boss not my old man !!! walked out & never heard from him again!!!!!

chev

Nightcrawler
I broke the laser scanner over a pit bulls head once. Sup was ticked but it was the diad or a OSHA recordiable accident and a big hospital bill. They got over it

We are trained to use the diad as a weapon to protect against dogs if necessary. I wouldn't give too much credence to how the sup felt about it. You were right to crack the dog with it.:wink2:

ol'browneye

I tried the clip once. First off I don't like having the diad hanging and banging on my hip while I walk. Secondly, I was told to use it after the wind blew a box over that the diad was sitting on and it quit working. Twice I missed the clip and dropped the board, screw that! And thirdly, The clip digs in while I am sitting!

i hated the clip at first, but it actually is a neat tool, once u get used to it... it snaps off easily and doesn't make u look like a fool when u are carrying a stack of boxes taller than u and the diad goes flying off the top onto the ground and gets road rash.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I tried the clip once. First off I don't like having the diad hanging and banging on my hip while I walk. Secondly, I was told to use it after the wind blew a box over that the diad was sitting on and it quit working. Twice I missed the clip and dropped the board, screw that! And thirdly, The clip digs in while I am sitting!

If you were a little more endowed, you'd be comfortable with it hanging and banging on your hip !! :funny: